April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, LeFusil, Argo44, buckstix, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#265475 02/13/12 10:15 AM
BSS Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Just bought a near mint Browning BSS 12 gauge,it has 28" barrels and is supposed to be choked Imp/mod,but when measuring it with the gauge I found the imp tube to actually be skeet,which is fine with me. Ill be using it for sporting clays and a bit of upland. It has the silver non-selective trigger,and the serial number dosent correspond with the post 1975 codes,so am I right thinking its a very early one? It has very nice wood,the black chrome is near excellent. I traded an old Remington 1100 and a 22 I hated plus 500 dollars,so Im happy. When you pick up a gun and it just feels right you should buy it. I hope to try it on clays for the first time this weekend.

Any imfo on BSS is welcome,and since Im new to the forum I just wanted to say hello.

Ive been shooting shotguns at ducks and grouse for 40 years but just got into the clay games,SC+skeet the last couple of years. Have aquired a nice Citori 20ga,a Franchi Rennasaince,and an old Savage-Fox model B to get started.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think dollar for dollar they're one of the best SxS's out there. Next I think you should find a 20 gauge. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome!
You made a good choice buying that BSS. I agree with Bob, very good value for the money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love mine. 30" barrels make it a great duck or clays gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you measuring the chokes with a plug gauge or with a bore mic? The vast majority of 12ga/28" BSSs were choked M/F from the factory, so yours may be the odd factory choking or perhaps it has been opened. The silver trigger does indicate an early gun. I don't know about that "black chrome" because every one I have seen has been blued. The bluing will thin fairly quickly along the bottom of the frame from field carry. If yours is a PG gun with the fat beavertail, you can improve the looks and handling by reshaping and checkering the beavertail to match the Sporter f/e, and by stripping the gloss finish and applying an oil finish. These guns tend to be a bit heavy through the barrels so removing a bit of weight from the f/e can improve the balance and the looks.

The BSS is probably the best of the basic modern field doubles, strong and reliable, although a bit heavy. That weight makes it a great clays double and the 3" chambers make it a good duck gun. You can safely shoot steel through it if the chokes are not too tight and if you don't get crazy with shot size.

Black and Tan
Unregistered
Black and Tan
Unregistered

I have one of the silver trigger BSS's (28" M/F) that I bought new in 1972. I believe that all the 12's of that vintage were 2-3/4" chambers. Yes, mine is heavy and clunky but hasn't missed a beat in 40 years...

BSS Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I used a plug gauge the dealer had on the counter,it went in to the MOD mark on the left barrel and all the way to SKEET on the right,which kind of surprised me. It is chambered for 3",so Ill get the serial number off it when I get home so you guys can tell me what year it was built.

As for the "black chrome",guess Ive been reading to many gun ads,it is bluing,just so shiney thats what I thought of. The wood is very glossy and it has the fat beavertail forearm that feels just right to me. Don't think Id want to carry it all day in the field, but thats why Ive got the Franchi,its very light.

Glad I found this forum,you guys seem very knowledgable and helpful.

BSS Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
I think dollar for dollar they're one of the best SxS's out there. Next I think you should find a 20 gauge. wink

I like the way you think Bob!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 4 BSS guns. I've had a 12g for over 25 yrs and it has approx 15,000 rounds thru it. The only problem I ever had was that the trigger pull eventually required fixing due to wear. This fix, if ever needed, should be done by a gunsmith knowledgeable about single triggers, lest you end up with a problem you didn't have before.

For a clays gun, the BSS 12g is about the perfect sxs. But, the big/heavy 12g BSS is not the optimum upland gun weight. That said, I shot a lot of birds with that gun.

If you like the 12g BSS, you'll love the 20g BSS in all it's versions. The 20g runs from about 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 lbs on average. They make for an excellent upland gun. I currently own 3 20g BSS guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a plug gauge and it is not really much help in determining choke. I measure the bore diameter 4" back from the muzzle, and then measure the diameter of the choke and determine the difference. I use a dial gauge from Brownell's which is not too expensive.
Trouble is, you have to know the bore diameter to establish the degree of choke
Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.