May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Karl Graebner, canvasback, David Williamson, Der Ami, Argo44, 1 invisible), 768 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,615
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the replies. Good comments. I just like the idea of using light 12ga loads (7/8 or 1oz) in a gun that is as light as most sub bores.
What is the relative cost of these light weights to a regular weight gun of same type and quality?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Spanish Arrieta 2", straight stock, splinter fore-end,
29" barrels, 15 3/8" stock, weight 6lbs 1oz and mfg'd in 2000. My gun must have been one of a pair as it has No.1 gold inlays on the barrels, action, and fore-end. My gun is designed to shoot the 7/8oz loads as were the British 2"

When purchased, the stock was super straight and choked tight and tighter.
Best - George

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of 2" 12 gauges Steve Barnett had an Alex Martin that weighed in at 4lbs 14oz:

http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/frm_inventory1.htm

Sold now.

Edit: Here is the correct link: http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com/asp-bin/Detail.asp?ID=7662

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/13/12 02:59 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was at the Southern, I met the Gentleman from Virginia who purchased that Alex Martin from Steve Barnett. He let me put a few rounds through it on the 5-stand. Wow it a was sweet!

Adam

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Deer Creek
Thanks for the replies. Good comments. I just like the idea of using light 12ga loads (7/8 or 1oz) in a gun that is as light as most sub bores.
What is the relative cost of these light weights to a regular weight gun of same type and quality?

I can only provide answers for two sub six pound guns, a Lancaster and a FW Lindner. They are the only ones I have bought and I bought both for around 5,000 each. I bought the Lindner last year and the Lancaster three years ago.

The Lindner is without question, my favorite pheasant gun. A little wand of 5 pounds and eleven ounces, she is as quick and as deadly as a viper.

With that said, I think that if you looked for well balanced guns under 6 and a half pounds you would find many that can be had reasonably and truly define light 12s. I have several and see a number of them offered for sale each year to where I do not think you would have a hard time acquiring a really light 12.

bc
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe in Charlotte has a neat little Turner that he hunted in Scotland last year. I covet the gun.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post243811

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George Pittelko
I have a Spanish Arrieta 2", straight stock, splinter fore-end,
29" barrels, 15 3/8" stock, weight 6lbs 1oz and mfg'd in 2000. My gun must have been one of a pair as it has No.1 gold inlays on the barrels, action, and fore-end. My gun is designed to shoot the 7/8oz loads as were the British 2"

When purchased, the stock was super straight and choked tight and tighter.
Best - George

Those Spanish 2" guns are nice, but they average from 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound heavier than the original Brit 2" guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What London makers represent the best "value" in light 12's today? I am looking for a well made London SL and am struggling with ranking the makers. I just can't afford to make a mistake and pay too much for a gun.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Turner lightweight is 5 lb, 11oz. The barrels are 28" damascus with walls around 28 thou. It is 1/4 and 3/4 choked. The stock is 14" with heel and toe plates.
The MOI matches a modern 2" gun, only my gun is from 1894 (40 years before the 2" craze in the 1930s). I use RST 1 oz 6s or 8s for hunting. It is not a gun you want to shoot a round of clays with. Hunting with it is a joy. Easy to carry and fast as the dickens to mount.
My gun is the scalloped stock version. Kirby Hoyt had a higher grade gun with ejectors that had the stock hollowed instead of the more commonly seen versions like mine. He had it at the Vintage Cup several years ago. It went to the west coast with him and sold quickly. He may have a lead on that gun.
We also have a Turner scalloped stock 16 hammer gun with the Carolina Vintagers. It has an earlier SN than mine.
I know of 2 Alex Martin ribless guns, a 12 and 16 that could be bought. They are not advertised publicly.
If you're interested I can contact the owner. (of course someone can get Dave his $10)
The lightweight guns are out there, they just have a really short shelf life. I never got to see the 2" ejector that Barnett had at the Southern, but I did hear about it.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Deer Creek

I've never owned a British gun, but my 30" 12ga Lefever [seen below[ at 6.6lbs was relatively inexpensive, but it was in rough shape when I got it and I've put a lot of work into it. It's a death ray on pheasants (I've yet to miss one with it), which has upped its value to me considerably, even though I generally prefer non-original guns that I can customize.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.