Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
idok Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

THis is my first post with doublegunshop, figured I'd better make it a good one.

Couple of weeks ago I was at a garage sale and spotted a couple of rifles in a corner that were not for sale, but went ahead and asked about them anyway.

So, 60 bucks later Im 2 guns heavier. Bought on the premise that one was a Springfield 1903 with "an interesting sport stock." The 2nd was an old Stevens 650 12 guage that got sold later that day for a 100 bucks.

So. As I was cleaning the 1903 I noticed it was engraved!
Did not notice this at first as there is a nice sheet of rust on the entire gun. Well, I just happened to be chatting on the phone with my dad when I found the engraving and when I told him that I think he bout had a heart attack. From that point he told me "Search that gun for G&H markings" By the time it was cleaned up I found a fully engraved magazine basplate and trigger guard, some nice work around the front sight and markings for .35 whelen

After speaking with G&H what they have told me is that the rifle is likely Kornbrath engraved, the stockwork done by Seymour Griffin himself and was a VERY early model. THe top of the barrel is stamped "No 154 Griffin & Howe New York, NY"

Wondering if there are any G&H experts on this forum as I would love to learn more about it!

I have a bunch of pictures of it, but cant figure out how to post them up

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure someone will help you post some pictures.As I can't either. smile Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the forum. If you want you can email pictures to me at mjpetrov @ acsalaska.net (remove spaces)

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The number falls into the correct range for an early 35-Whelen.

I'll post more after I see some pictures.

idok Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

yep..There is no doubt in my mind of what it is....Tried to send you pictures, but they got returned...will try again now

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please try sending them one at a time, sometimes that helps.

Not sure what the problem is, I checked my online box and it's MT.

Would someone else try to post his pictures please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've tried to send you e-mails with lots of pictures attached before and they've bounced back to me. I think sending them one at a time will work.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

idok,
Please try sending them to Lynn@LRFliger.com and I will post for you if you wish. Send tonight if you can as I will be at Savage Fest all day Saturday.

Lynn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Idok: I have to ask one question...In what state/city do you find a Griffin and Howe Sporter sitting in the corner of a Garage? To paraphrase that great line in "Dirty Harry", "I JUST GOT TO KNOW?"
TIA Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the kind of find that keeps me,and a host of others,prowling the garage,yard and estate sales.I hope the gun is in restorable condition with a good bore.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.