May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Der Ami, KDGJ, oskar, Lloyd3, eeb, 2 invisible), 618 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,066
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
Sidelock
Sidelock

Patrick,
I'm sure it's changed a lot. I recall a skeet/trap range on the south end of the base where all the recreation stuff was. There's a running track shown on Google Earth that appears to be about the same place I recall. To the east of that track, near the end of the runway was where I recall the range was. There's all kinds of buildings in that area now, which used to be big open grassy area used for the holiday carnivals and such.

We lived in what was then called "South Area", near that traffic circle with the airplane in it now. All the streets on the base look different except a few. Gates have changed location too. Looks like most of the post war housing is all gone. I'd probably get lost there now.

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

Between '65 and '68, I was a kid on Yokota AB. We would occasionally take a family trip to Atsugi and Yokohama for their PX. Atsugi was where we settled on shopping for the bigger ticket items like bicycles and cameras. (big for a NCO with 4 kids). I believe movies were free on Atsugi compared to the high price of 15 cents on the Air Bases. Funny...40 some years later, I'm working with two guys raised on/around Atsugi.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Doug.

Regards
Chuck

Chuck, I'm glad it brought back some fond memories for you, me too.......Many wonderful and fine people in Japan, I made many friends. Some even visited me in the U.S. over the years.

The Atsugi U.S. Naval Air Station is now a joint Japanese/U.S. Airbase called Naval Air Facility Atsugi I believe. Lot's of things have changed, as you pointed out. The open land is nearly all gone now. After the war I again visited Japan many times for over 20 years from the 70's up through the late 90's and watched Japan flourish and grow. I especially like the people and the areas surrounding Sasebo.

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father used to talk about Sasebo often. My father met my mother in the south of Japan when stationed at Itazuke AB. Older sis and younger brother were born in Japan on Air Bases. I recall bits of the '58-62 time in Misawa up north. I still remember the cold winter days and the street vendors selling fire roasted sweet potatoes from hand pushed carts with makeshift ovens. I can still smell the sweet potatoes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
If there's anyone on this forum under 30 please post your picture now. I'm concerned that we won't have enough members left to serve as pallbearers in another 5 years. shocked
Jim

This is a really crappy picture, but how about my boy, he was 8 when this was taken, blasting away with a 16 gauge 311.
If he had his way it would probably be a Benelli, but he does like shooting Cyrano. We named his gun that because with 28" barrels and an 11" length of pull it looks like a face with a long nose. Just can't bring myself to bob those barrels (it was his great great uncles gun) and I can't find a set of 16 gauge tubes anywhere. I bought a junk stock and cut that down to preserve the original, but no barrels yet.
CHAZ

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

No pics, but my hunting buddy has two sets of twin boys who are just gonzo about upland birds and ducks. The nine-year-olds have gone with us for the last five years, and the four-year-olds are clamoring to join us this season. One of the older boys is a better duck caller than most adults. There is hope.

PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any new members have pictures...?

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Doug it's time to meet some new faces and get reaquainted with some old ones. This is me last fall during pheasant season by the old Ford. Picture taken by gjw Greg.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Leighton Stallones---This was at the World English April 2013

[img:left][/img]

Last edited by Stallones; 10/03/13 09:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
Those fields look familiar. Great looking country.
regards
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

The missus and I....a couple of months ago at Texoma...Yep she caught the larger fish.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.