Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed I apologize for writing "ed you are full of it."

I should have written "ed it is my humble opinion that you are full of it."

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can only comment on Smith's doubling, but after thousands of shots, the upper edge of the tip of the sear (usually the right) becomes rounded, causing a light trigger pull or doubling. This is JDW's excellent image

Dan Lammers of DL Precision left Phoenix for Redding, CA a couple of years ago, but before leaving he worked over the locks of my lowly 00, and for the first time I became aware that a crisp trigger is truly a joy and wonder.
Unfortunately, my hopeless flinch is even worse with any trigger but frown

Sidelock
Sidelock

well mike, there you go again...trashing another thread with your off topic, obtuse posts...

sounds like you do not know how serious this topic is? put yourself in doubletroubles shoes for a moment. here you sit with an otherwise fine parker vhe shotgun, that is now unreliable and unsafe to shoot. all because you trusted your fine gun to an incompetent and irresponsible gun mechanic who botched it up.

mike, maybe you do not think this is serious, but others certainly do. if you knew someone, as i do, who was injured by a gun made unsafe by a botched case coloring job, then perhaps you would be more understanding here.

Last edited by ed good; 09/08/12 06:57 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

drew: it has been my experience that doubling is usually a result of worn triggers and or sears...however, parkers do not usually have that problem... in the case of the parker vhe, which is the topic of this post, it sounds like the trigger plate may have warped in the recoloring process, which put the triggers or trigger out of precise alignment with the sears?

in any event, doubletrouble needs to get his gun to an experienced smith, who knows what he is doing and stop fooling around with these recoloring cranks.

Last edited by ed good; 09/08/12 08:42 PM.

ed good #292646 09/09/12 01:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
it sounds like the trigger plate may have warped in the recoloring process,

It doesn't sound that way to me. It sounds to me like we don't know anything with the information we have.

ed we still don't know if it is a double trigger or single trigger.

ed we don't know if he tested the gun with modern ammo before he sent it off. It may be the case that if he had shot modern ammo before he sent it off to the gunsmith it may have doubled.

And Parker sears (seers?) do round off. I have a VH that had that problem. And the rounding of the seers may have just become severe enough to double in his last box of shells. There was a poll just a few months ago on the Parker site about doubling. There were several respondents with doubling Parker experience.

It may have been one of the guns you paid Mr. Landers to heat up with a torch and make the birdseye spots. Someone may have steel-wooled the spots off that gun and then sold it to doubletrouble. But it may be one of the guns you screwed with and then sold. Perhaps you may post a list of serial numbers of all the guns you have had case colored. If you didn't keep track hows about a list of all the serial numbers you have sold? Now that would be making a contribution to the hobby of double gun collecting.

You lately have been touting chemical and torch case coloring process but several years ago ya'll were just using a torch.

We don't know and you don't know what the problem is with doubetrouble's gun. And the things it may be run into dozens of dozens of possibilities.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/09/12 01:55 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think everyone here agrees that when two pieces of metal rub together, some metal comes off. We all get all worked up on what kind of grease to put on the hinge to prevent wear, but a sear is loaded to a much higher specific pressure and is not lubricated as well as a hinge. Granted the parts are generally harder, but that doesn't eliminate wear, just reduces it.

So why is anyone surprised that a sear gets rounded after many thousands of rounds? It's just another wear part.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck and Mike, are you guys saying we shouldn't sand off the bone charcoal case colors on our guns and send them off to Ol' Ed Lander for torch coloring to make them safer?

Did we ever even get an address or phone number to contact Ol' Ed? Does Ed Lander really exist? Should Doug Turnbull be looking for another line of work?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The answer to your last question is YES!

Sidelock
Sidelock

sadly, you guys are off topic here...it is inappropriate of you to use this thread to launch personal attacks against yours truly and others...

hopefully, doubletrouble will find a good smith to fix his gun for him and, who ever messed up will be more diligent in the future.

Last edited by ed good; 09/09/12 03:43 PM.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: doubletrouble
On opening day of Dove season my VHE doubled, quite an experience!! I know that it wasn't dirt as I had sent it to a gunsmith to be Case colored and had fired it twice after it was returned with no problem, however it was with low pressure cartridges. This time with higher pressure shells. Any suggestions?

May not have anything to do with worn sears but more to do with the reasembly of the frame, the gap between the sears and trigger blades could have changed, you should check and see if there is contact...try to wiggle the triggers when the gun is cocked, they should have a little up and down play, if not, they're under tension and mat not be fully engaged, wich would lighten the pulls and ultimately cause it to double.

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.