May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, FlyChamps, Skeeterbd, bushveld, Oberndorf, 1 invisible), 868 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,623
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an interest in a "personal" sized clay pigeon thrower. I guess it would be nice to have an electronic release. It would also be nice to have it portable and maybe with a seat for the operator. I suppose one with a battery might be useful. I would not be throwing thousands of clays.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this type of thing ? Cost , say under $500, but preferably less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, you might be able to pick up a used Lincoln. They have adjustable spring tension for speed and you can adjust the angles.
I think new there are over $500 and a nice thing for a few guys to chip in and buy. The ones I have seen have an area to sit on and also be fastened to something solid.

http://www.lincolntraps.com/prices_manual.html

Last edited by JDW; 09/09/12 06:21 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, as I was looking through the catalog Cabelas sent me I found a couple. One for $550 will through both singles and doubles. There are several cheaper versions for singles. They all operate off a 12v deep cycle battery that you can charge at home and have foot pedal releases so you can shoot by yourself.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, I bought a Du-all White Wing thrower a few weeks ago at Gander Mt. So far it has worked great. I had to make a longer adjustment bolt to lessen the target speed. I would recommend it to anyone.It is battery powered with a foot pedal. I paid $335.00. It was local so shipping wasn't needed. Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello
Take a look here

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=aerial+ass*&_sacat=7301&_odkw=&_osacat=7301

looks like you will have to copy and paste the link to your browser frown

I have one and it performs quite well and I just use jumper cables and hook to the truck battery.

Have thrown as many as 7 cases of clays and still no issue starting the truck. ( Was a church men's group and we shot about
1000 rounds in a bit over two hours) smile

Some have had issues with the Do-Alls, but they work for me

You will see the wireless release in the listing also

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 09/09/12 07:16 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have access to a Comet automatic trap that the owner mounted on a little wheeled cart. It is a heavy and strongly made machine with a single stack column. It has a wireless remote that can be set to have different length delays. I would clip the little remote on my left shirt pocket and, when I was ready for a bird, I would press the button, the machine would cycle and cock itself and throw the bird, three seconds after pushing the button. It is the only machine I know of that cocks after you press the button to throw. The three second delay is perfect for practicing by one's self.

Don't think the company is in business anymore, but maybe one could be found on the 'net. Very well made.

SRH

P.S. It also has an automatic wobble feature that allows it to rotate itself in an arc horizontally and vertically. It can be easily locked out to make it throw the same presentation over and over.

Last edited by Stan; 09/09/12 08:45 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

May I suggest that for WAY under $500 one can do 'stick birds'. It will require that you take on an assistant to get the job done, but you could reciprocate by letting him or her also shoot some targets with you being the 'stick man'. It is nothing more than an old Remington hand thrower mounted on a billiard stick or better yet, a heavy fiberglas salt water fishing rod blank. One can even use an old golf club shaft, if that's more convenient. The speed and difficulty of 'stick bird' targets has to be experienced first hand to be appreciated at it's fullest, talking of them does them little justice. They can be launched as two foot elevation screamers or high angle bunker type targets on steroids. 'Stick birds' can out perform anything thrown by a spring type trap on their high end, but they can also be launched at more reasonable speeds. Its good excersize & fun for the 'stick man' too; particularly when the shooter doesn't break it, hahaha. I'd hope you give them a try. You can take the dif in costs & buy more clay targets, not to mention having great fun for little cost. Thrower positons and target presentations are largly open to the imagination.

Best, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a fiberglass "stick" with a red plastic thrower bolted to the end of it. It is easy to throw a clay over 100 yrds. I think the throws can easily exceed the International Skeet target speeds. They can be very hard to hit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not long ago there was an extended discussion on this topic at trapshooters.com - - you search there for lotsa info

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wonko, thanks. I just don't seem to be able to use the search on the trapshooters.com. Do you have a specific discussion to recommend ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only one word of caution: stick birds can be extremely dangerous since the thrower doesn't have full control of the direction of the release. Some sort of barrier between the thrower and shooter is highly recommended. Other than that it is a great way to toss 'em--not many 25 straights will be seen!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe is right on. I once "saw" a clay target out of a bird stick thrown into the side of a pickup camper. It made a mess out of the aluminum camper shell. Note the quotation marks.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Spend the extra bucks and get an Atlas. You will not be sorry.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems like that Atlas thing is good

here's the link to the discussion (I think) actually not that informative and a couple on the Atlas

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=264168

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=289309

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=270715

have a day

Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 09/11/12 02:25 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.