April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (damascus, Southern Sport), 210 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,978
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doubletrouble,

on a double trigger gun, about the only thing that could mechanically be wrong is a tired sear or maybe a tired sear spring. If the spring is weak, it may not be putting enough dowward pressure on the sear when cocking to fully engage the sear on the hammer.

If the gun was restocked, it could be that not enough wood was removed in a particular spot and causing the problem.

Never say never, but... IF the trigger plate was warped, it may or may not cause this issue since the sears and all other related cocking parts are attached to the frame, not the trigger plate. But the triggers are on the plate and they could be contacting the sears a bit if the plate was warped. Who knows.

I hope I was able to lend a few ideas as to the root of the issue.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with a few of the other "calmer heads" on this thread- Beating up on Ed "Da Torch" Lander and his personal experiences with double guns is like trying to teach a pig to sing German opera-- You get frustrated and it just annoys the Hell out of everybody- there are plenty of other venues for personal attacks, let's take the high road.

I agree with Herr Dudley here. I have two older 12 ejector doubles, one with double triggers, and one with a single selective trigger, and both have doubled a few times, but i found out the cause without any diss-assembly required.

Case 1-- 1945 pre-Marlin (Feb with hang tag) 12 LC Smith Ideal FWE 26" barrels, DT-- I bought this from a local dealer at the "Yooper" shoot, after my 12 GHE developed recocking problems (since cured by Brad Bachelder, my preferred gunsmith) and I needed a 12 double to complete the SC program. I was using RST 2.5" 1 ounce No 8 shot in the Parker, and continued to shoot that fine load in the Smith- A-OK. Later at home, using it for barn pigeons, I put a AA Handicap Trap load in the right barrel, and when I touched the trigger, there was a boom-pause-boom- so it had doubled. The gun is as new, hadn't been shot in years, and a removal of the lock plates showed no wear at sear bent or crud, so I went back to the RST lighter loads (always a safer bet with a Smith IMO) and no problemo.

I also have my Dad's 12 M21 field gun he got new in 1948-- SST, EJ--and with the trigger selector button set for right barrel first, no problem- if you move it to fire the left barrel first, about 1 in 10 times it will double, but only in that setting- As it is choked Mod right and Imp Mod left, I just leave it set for right barrel first-

Guns, like people, have their "quirks" and the "Gremlin" factor also can play a part. I just accomodate myself to those "quirks" and live with them--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know nothing about Parkers, but it could be as simple as a few overtightened screws causing the trigger plate to come in contact prematurely with the sear/s.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because it was restocked I would first look for a problem with the triggers engaging the sears. I have had Brad do quite a bit of work for me and believe he's one of the best gunsmiths there is. If you're interested he can be reached at 616-459-3636.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladesmith
Because it was restocked I would first look for a problem with the triggers engaging the sears. I have had Brad do quite a bit of work for me and believe he's one of the best gunsmiths there is. If you're interested he can be reached at 616-459-3636.
I'll second that-- I left the GHE with him in June 2010- the cocking slide had worn and was not engaging when you broke open the gun to recock the hammers-- I had it back in my hands 3 weeks later, and it hasn't missed a beat since--Brad Bachelder is a Master Craftsman in the truest sense of the word!!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

How 'bout dat Foxy... and he ain't even a union man !

Boxlock
Boxlock

Doubling of Parkers isn't THAT unusual. I have one that did it a number of times before I fixed it by honing the worn sear end to a better 'point'. Mine would double when the recoil of shooting the left bbl first would jar the sear on the right bbl enough to release it. Generally the right barrel gets shot way more than the left barrel so the sear wears quicker. It was a pretty simple job to jig it and touch up the point on a fine diamond stone. The left bbl sear was still fine. Whenever I buy another Parker I cock it and slap the bejeezus out of the receiver on all sides trying to get it to go off just to see if it's worn enough to do so.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.