May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, eeb), 684 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
Boxlock

This is my first post. Hello all, from Charlottesville, VA. I too need firing pins and bushings (for my 10 gauge Syracuse LCS hammerless, Serial No. 204XX). Will the ones on eBay fit my gun? Numrich Gun Parts has firing pins indexed under LC Smith/Old Model Hammerless, page 5 (Firing Pin, Old Style - Uses Bushing, Not Included). Will they fit a 10-gauge? Thanks everyone, and sorry if I'm not supposed to post here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bushings would have to be fit, meaning once they are in, they would have to be filed flush to the breech. The size is 5/16-32 for the threads. The O.D. would be around .300+

There are three different lengths in the firing pins.
Compare the ones you have to these. If you can't find any PM me here and I might be able to help you.

David

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks, JDW. Do the bushings simply unthread? (I don't see any copper retaining screws). Or do the locks need to come off first? In other words, how do I pull the firing pins? All I've done so far is to load two empty 10 gauge shells with primers and pull the triggers. Right barrel fired, left one didn't. End of firing pin is very blunt with a slight crack. So figure I need a new left pin, and might as well change both. The left bushing is in pretty bad shape, so I figure I'll change both bushings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The bushings have a slot in them for removal, and for the removal of the firing pins. The early Fulton guns had the bushed firing pins with the copper retaining screw.

Your gun was made in 1887 and the bushings might be hard to come out.

David

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks! I'll see if I can pull the bushings in the morning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed they are-- I have about 6 pairs I machined- but I left the striker part (forward of the retaining collar that nests in the bushing) a bit over length to print- to allow for chamber cuts and variances in shotshells since 1900-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks for the help. I got the bushings out. They are simply 5/15 x 32 threaded steel with a .134 through-hole and a counterbore of .208 diameter, .050 deep. And the screwdriver slots on the faces, of course. All measurements are approximate because of surface irregularities. My pins have .132 strikers x .236 (vice .297 print), .204x.112 collars, and .161x.476 "B" dimension. I see clear evidence of grind-down on the pins and the rear surface where the hammer lands. The right pin that works protrudes about .078 from the surface of the bushing, the left one that doesn't work protrudes about .060. So I don't know if need medium or large pins, and the eBay bushings are clearly not what I need. Unless large pins were for 8-gauges, I would guess I need large pins. Thanks again for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The three different sizes is a carry-over from the Syracuse guns. They were offered in three frame styles, Medium, Heavy and Extra heavy frames at no extra charge. The difference is in the size of the breech balls, the larger the frame the longer the pins.
The ones on eBay do not give a size. They were only made one size regardless of frame. Syracuse guns were not made in 8 ga.
Here is a drawing of the bushings.

A #7 drill is .201 for he counterbore, and a #24 drill is .152 for the striker opening.

You didn't list your "A" dimension. Let me know. I will make you the mediums, if they don't work then I will make the large ones.

David

Boxlock
Boxlock

My "A" dimension is roughly .830. Puzzling, eh? And my bushings are very differfent from the drawing you posted. My breech face has simple threaded holes (.276), no counterbore to accept a bushing head. My bushings are threaded their entire length. Serial No. has a 2 beneath it, but I thought that was because of the engraved receiver.

12brd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JDW, pm sent. JW

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.