May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

On my ever ending search for a 16 gauge hammer gun, I found this one on gun broker:
Gunbroker 16 gauge

What do you guys think of this gun? It has 2 1/2" chambers. Is it generally safe to rechamber to 2 3/4" chambers on a steel barreled gun like this? The gun looks pretty nice, but I have know idea if it's worth getting. It also looks to be a 16 gauge frame, but I'm not sure.

I've got some pics of the underside of the barrel and receiver, but I'm not sure how to put them on here. The barrel says, acier decarbjre. Each barrel says St. Etienne and have 17.0 on both. 6.5 is on both flats and a crown with PM under it. It also say St. Etienne again and something else I can't make out. The reciever just has the crown and PM with the serial number.

Thanks for any help on this.

Winchester Levers, Double barrel Hammerguns, and single shots.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why bother reaming this gun from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4" when you do not have to do it? Easy to find 2 1/2" shells these days and the real problem is pressure not how long the empty is. Join the 16GA. loading list on the 16Ga. web site and reload your own. Factory loads would be a bit too high pressure for this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Concur with KY Jon - this gun appears too nice to monkey around with lengthening the chambers and 2 1/2 inch shells are readily available (or makeable, if you reload). French hammerguns are pretty thin on the ground and this one looks exquisite. The big question, though, is: What do the inside of the bores look like. My experience is that they come pitted a lot of the time and you have to be darned careful about that. There's not a lot of meat in these barrels and pitting (or reaming out chambers) can get a bit dubious.

The marks you write about:

"acier decarbure" - decarboned steel
"17.0" - the bore diameter in millimeters, which translates to a 16 gauge
"6.5" - the chamber length in centimeters, which translates to 2 1/2 inches
"St. Etienne" - the proofhouse in St. Etienne, France, where the gun went through proof testing.
the wreaths - the number of wreaths indicates the intensity of the proof testing.
the crown with PW - an initial proof
"Eprouve Poudre Pyroxlee" - proofed with smokeless (nitro) powder

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fourteenth picture shows what looks to me like a pretty bad looking dent in the right barrel just behind the sling swivel..Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Overhead view of the breech showing both hammers down,,the left one doesn't hit it's firing pin squarely.

I'm not a big on baseing everything on the lever position (this one is right at 6),,but the visable end of the cross bolt on the left side is buried into the receiver fence. Ususally they're out a few .000" or in the least flush with the fence when all is well.

Every Screw is buggered.

The frame, trigger guard, locks, ect all appear to have been buffed/shined up a bit before setting it out on the lot for sale.

Nice wood grain. I'd guess the wood has been gone over too from the looks of the edges of the inletting around the metal in places, the fit of the butt plate, the ultra high gloss and yet the wear to the checkering and wear and rounded edges of the wood around the locks that are underneath the finish.

Rear swivel missing.

No look at the insides of anything (TD) in all the pics.

Just some observations...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that if you do buy it, it will need some rehab. Don't even think about reaming that gun out to 2 3/4" and shooting modern high pressure cartridges in it.....that would be a sin!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like many no name French guns, this one has seen better days. There are alot of dings on the stock and barrels. Some fool removed the rear sling swivel and replaced it with a screw. From the shine of the wood, I would guess someone put a coat of tru-oil on the stock.

The real question is what is the seller's inspection policy? I would not want to buy it only realize that I will spend more than I paid to fix all the little things.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep looking........

Sidelock
Sidelock

The PM indicates the kind of powder it was proofed with: smokeless M. That dates the gun to 1914 or earlier. Post-1914, proof had to be with smokeless powder T. Thus, you'll see only a PT on newer French guns.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to keep looking. I had noticed that the screws were buggered. The bores are supposedly in good shape. I'm just not willing to mess with 2 1/2" shells right now, even though I do reload for all the guages.

The search continues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, forget about that gun, but definitely walk away with the information that high quality 2 1/2" cartridges are EASILY gotten through modern suppliers, e.g. RST should you find yourself with the need in the future.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammergun,

Check your private messages, please.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/07/12 03:06 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another word of advice, unsolicited. There are 10,000 people registered on this forum. You are probably not the only person looking for a good hammergun in subgauge at a reasonable price. If you see another potential qualifier, if it were me, I'd PM some of the gentlemen above about their opinions. If you keep up with this forum, you will begin to recognize others whose opinions are also valued. They will also be glad to help. Then you don't have to worry about somebody else on this list, a lurker, getting the hots for the same gun you are asking about and buying it out from under you. It can happen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Another word of advice, unsolicited. There are 10,000 people registered on this forum. You are probably not the only person looking for a good hammergun in subgauge at a reasonable price. If you see another potential qualifier, if it were me, I'd PM some of the gentlemen above about their opinions. If you keep up with this forum, you will begin to recognize others whose opinions are also valued. They will also be glad to help. Then you don't have to worry about somebody else on this list, a lurker, getting the hots for the same gun you are asking about and buying it out from under you. It can happen.

+1

I would also add that the tight chambering mentioned in the description seems to be de rigeur for many French guns, including the one I owned.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the really good info. If I ever find a nice Bernardelli 16 gauge, I'll be keeping that one to myself.

I'm looking for a hammergun in 410 and 16 gauge to go with my 12 and 20 gauge Bernardellis' incase anyone knows of any. I've been going with the Bernardellis because they are a good priced modern hammergun that won't break the bank, but is of good quality in my eyes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'm looking for a hammergun in 410 and 16 gauge to go with my 12 and 20 gauge Bernardellis'

Have you even seen VB hammerguns in .410 or 16? I have a couple of 12s and like them a lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The VB's are good choices in modern hammerguns. Don't think I've ever seen one in .410 or 16, but a friend had a really nice 20 set up as a pigeon gun.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
I'm looking for a hammergun in 410 and 16 gauge to go with my 12 and 20 gauge Bernardellis'

Have you even seen VB hammerguns in .410 or 16? I have a couple of 12s and like them a lot.

The last 16 I saw was on gunbroker about 6 years ago. Before that, I'd only seen 2 of them. I didn't know Bernardelli made a 410, but there is one on Guns International for about $8k. It's super nice, but too rich for my blood. There are plenty of VB 16's for sale overseas, but how to get one here I have no idea. The 410 is going to be the hardest find. I'm not looking for a VB 410. Just something nice. The SAICE isn't too high priced for their 410. I don't know if any of you have seen the Fausti hammerguns, but they are very nice. They are probably out of my price range as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Legg had a V Bernadelli in 28g. I shot it a round or two of skeet. Nice gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammerman

If you run across a Model 51 Husqvarna in 16 ga. you should take a look at it. Built from 1911 to 1947 they have short chambers, tight chokes, pow grip and no engraving. I picked one up 2 years ago on gunbroker for $375 because it had a short lop. A recoil pad fixed that, Mike Orlen opened up the chokes and I had a nice handling hammergun in 16 ga. for not much money.

I later had Mark Larson remove the pow grip for a straight grip (just my preference).

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Nice shotgun!!! It looks alot better with the staight grip IMO too.

Just out of curiousity, what's it cost to convert a gun to straight grip? I've passed on a few guns because I don't like a pistol grip on a double.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hammerman
Nice shotgun!!! It looks alot better with the staight grip IMO too.

Just out of curiousity, what's it cost to convert a gun to straight grip? I've passed on a few guns because I don't like a pistol grip on a double.

pm sent

Sidelock
Sidelock

IIRC, there's a couple of Husqvarna 51s floating around on gunbroker at present. Worth a look.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.