April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (67galaxie, LeFusil, 5 invisible), 1,010 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How many coats did you apply?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

4 coats.

If I was to do it again I would use the medium and not the dark walnut.

Gun is a 77 year old 31R

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11/14/12 02:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
The after doesn't look much better than the before ?

Is it true that jOe lives under a rock and only slithers out to splatter his drivel on this Forum?

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11/14/12 03:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Watco is relatively easy to use and gives a uniform appearance but it is a pigment, not a dye stain and tends to reduce contrast of grain and figure and gives a somewhat less brilliant appearance than a dye stain followed by oil would.

But there's a lot to be said for real ease of use and your stock came out looking nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dye stains will fade over time, pigment stains are forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Dye stains will fade over time, pigment stains are forever.

True but some dyes are more stable than others and I don't think you'll see too many fine gunstocks or really fine furniture stained with pigment stains. It's a trade-off that's more theoretical than practical. Good quality water-soluble dye is pretty permanent and does not diminish the character of the wood.

Bushmaster's stock looks very nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finished 3 or 4 stocks in succession using Deft Danish Oil. When it was time for another can, the brand was no longer available loacally so I tried the Watco. I didn't like it and never finished a stock with it. I moved on to Permalyn, then Pro Custom, and finally Waterlox & Daly's Ben Matte. What all of those products have in common is they are tung oil/urethane blends, as opposed to (and superior to, IME) linseed/urethane blends like TruOil and Linspeed.

Deft is back in my neighborhood again (I like their lacquers), but I haven't looked for their Danish Oil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use only the Watco Natural FInish which seems to add confusion on this thread as many seem to use the colors. It will be a better finish if you color the stock wood first and then apply Natural Watco.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many get the impression of a nice looking older shotgun with a nice dark finish, and in redoing a stock, when they are finished the stock is lighter. It is lighter because you removed the top coat which made it dark. To see what your unfinished stock would look like finished, put some water or alcohol on it and that is basically what it will look like finished. Putting a walnut finish on a walnut stock will make it darker. Use a different stain if you want to "color it".

The purpose of stains and dyes is to make a non walnut wood look somewhat like walnut with a stain on it.

The difference between a stain and a dye is that a stain is on the wood and a dye is in the wood.

Last edited by JDW; 11/14/12 09:40 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

After stripping this Elsie of it's original finish it appeared to retain some of the red in the wood from the old finish. I added a couple coats of Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut water based stain along with a little Birchwood Casey Walnut water based stain before the Truoil. Being that it's water based would it really be a dye, or can a dye be either?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.