Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cleaning out a freezer yesterday and I came across a couple of frozen pheasants from Fall of 2010.

Have these been in the freezer too long. Are they too old to eat? Freezer burn? Looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you packed them in plastic containers and filled said containers with water they should be good. If they are just frozen in plastic freezer bags with no water I would question the quality. I'm a cheapskate so I use empty plastic Folger's coffee containers. Cut the bird up, put the pieces in the Folger's container, fill with water, and pop them in the freezer. If I have too many stored in the freezer I thaw them out and pressure can the meat in quart jars. Canned in jars it lasts almost forever although at my place it goes quick.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depend how they were packaged. If in a vacuum sealed bag or encased in water (frozen in a solid block of ice), they should be fine. Air is the enemy of frozen foods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pheasants should be no different than doves or quail. Freeze them in water, so no air gets to them, and they will last a long time. I have eaten birds that were frozen in water that were three years old, and they were fine. Three years is probably getting near the limit, tho'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Freezer burn is just that, a burn that should be evident upon inspection while frozen, I think it results from dehydration of the exterior. Thawing and smelling are your best option, if it smells good, it should be ok, if an off smell than it won't kill you but I throw stuff like that out.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can often salvage freezer-burned pheasant by laying bacon strips across the breast and legs, then grilling over charcoal. Sprinkle the bird with rosemary. Use the indirect method--coals along the sides of the grill. Place the bird on a chicken rack in a metal pan, with at least 1/4" of water and red wine beneath. Add more liquid as needed during cooking. Don't let the pan dry out and burn. The drippings blended into the wine mix will make a fine sauce. If too much liquid's left when the pheasant is cooked, put the drip pan on the range and reduce.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two-year-frozen venison for dinner last night. Great stuff.

dmh Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

I've eaten older birds with no problems. If it smells OK just trim away any freezer burned areas - as you cut it's easy to see the demarcation between the burned meat and the fresh.
Dave

Sidelock
Sidelock

We always vacuum seal our birds; you think freezing in water is better?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on how hungry you are and how flavorful a sauce you can make. smirk

More seriously, the suggestions upthread are right on.

FWIW, a couple weeks ago I had moose sausage that was vacuum sealed before freezing and it was perfect despite being a year in the freezer. And I'm eating jam I canned in 2001 that's as good as fresh (though the peach and apricot can be a little dark).

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.