April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sun Dog, Dave Weber, battle, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 273 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,048
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 37 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

The level of knowledge on this site blows me away........I am really looking forward to this double.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:

I'm thinking 16 gauge. The trouble with a 20 is that you have to shoot yellow shells. I just couldn't live like that. You are right about the paper though. It might be worth getting a light 12 just to smell the paper hulls.

I see the monoblock as a very sound approach from a practical standpoint. The idea of having the barrels built a long way from home and shipped here to mate with the action seems fraught with potential problems. At least with the monoblock approach one could be reasonably sure that the barrels will mate properly with the actions. Especially so if a doll's head is desired.

There seems to be a large spread of opinion as to what liberties should be taken with Mr. Lefever's designs. From absolute true replication on up. I myself don't have much use for chrome bores and choke tubes, but I don't have any problem with invisible monoblock construction. Or even visible, for that matter. I reckon I lean more toward the true replication camp, modified to allow sensible alternatives in manufacturing techniques.

Regards to all,

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 03/22/07 11:54 PM.

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume the gun will have the Lefever adjusting screw? If so, would that help alleviate the need for the doll's head, if that became a problem to manufacture? Personally, I say keep the doll's head if at all possible. Lefever's are as highly regarded as they are not just for their aesthetics and handling, but for their ingenious engineering. Their strength and functionality are one of their main selling points. With that in mind, chrome-lined bores and tubes seem superfluous and somewhat irrelevant. Build the gun the right way and there will be no need for them.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the stepped side plates either. Long, thin barrels, splinter, scaled frame with 16/20 barrels, and Lefever engineering. Voila! You can't go wrong with a formula like that. Add the 12b later after it takes off.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

One monoblock process I explored was to thread the monoblock and barrels together. This is definitely a machinists thought process (that's me). No heat, no distortion, no solder line, rifle like proven construction. This would allow the monoblock and the barrel tubes to be mated here in the states (maybe by Steve). So, you'd have a all machined barreled action assembly less the barrel spacers and ribs. A neat concept from a machinist's perspective.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, is this Lefever going the way of the Parker over under. Just a name ?? Let's let it be a Lefever with the stepped sideplates, the in frame ejectors, the cocking indicators, the dolls head, and heaven forbid the chrome this or that, the plug in chokes, and all that other stuff that is not Lefever. Get the 28 gauge down the road and don't think of a Lefever 22 cal. long rifle double.

There you go Daryl!
Ill take mine with screw in chokes, in 28 ga. with a model 21 trigger, and a beaver tail forend! Oh one more thing, I would like one of those shock absorer recoil pad! Will You be offering one of those como stocks like Remington?

Ive been on here days ago saying that and just got beat down. I say if your going to build it build it like Dan built it. If your not then its just another gun, or a butcher job of Dan's work.

Bob

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I must say, all good points. All very good. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,

Haven't seen anything on possible improvements to the action itself, but let me throw into the discussion the notion of adding something missing, subject to correction, in all American-made guns, boxlock or sidelock: intercepting sears.

They would add to the cost of the action, but I'm not sure by how much. Might ask Mr. Earle to cost out both with and without. That's assuming there's room to fit them in the basic Lefever design.

Must say I'm delighted that a 12 bore is possible and can fit on a 1-1/16 width (or even very slightly smaller) between firing pin centers.

Best, Tim

Are there any pictures of the metal yet? I went and read all 22 pages of this post....didnt find any and now you guys have my curiosity up!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck and Glenn, RST is making small gauge papers and they are so neat. Look at your Parker Repro and tell me this new gun can't be made with a close fitting doll's head. My Repro doll's head is fitted as well as any original Parker. I'm sure some progress has been made in CNC technology in 23 years. I'm sure Mr. Skeuse argued with his partners and design engineers about the doll's head, but, in the end, he won the battle and built the doll's head gun. What he didn't realize is that the Parkers with the greater charm are the rare special order Pigeon Guns ordered "without extension"!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill, there aren't any pictures of metal yet as this is the measuringand programing stage. This is followed by machining all the req. fixtures for holding parts. Pixtures will be taken of maching op. as well as of parts.

Tim, not sure about the intercepting sears .....

Bob N. If we built it like Uncle Dan, we would have to use a cheaper grade of steel and work to looser tolerances and the heat treatment wouldn't be as good. The idea is to make a version that differs from the original by using better steels, heat treatment and etc. As the Lefever single trigger wasn't at all reliable (quote Buck Hamlen), would you want us to furnish it anyway so that it would be original ? This piece will be very close to original design but improved upon as previously mentioned.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Page 22 of 37 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.