April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jolly Bill, JDH, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 469 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,086
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham--You've got a gun with a double St. Etienne proof (mark seen twice on each barrel in front of the flats) and with factory 2 3/4" (70mm) chambers. The chamber length would lead me to speculate that it's perhaps more likely to be a post-WWII gun than one from between the wars years. Acier diamant = diamond steel. Pretty much like the different names for the steel Parker used in its doubles. Should indicate higher quality steel.

What you found on Helice, Helicobloc etc is a good explanation of the situation. There are a lot of French guns out there not made by V-C which use the same system, or perhaps minor variations of it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just to update this post, based on the V-C catalogs I have seen, this appears to be a Commodore model made in the 1950s, which was a mid-grade model with extractors and manual safety. According to the V-C catalogs, ejectors were only offered on their top-end models. Unfortunately, I have not been able to track down a price list.

The quadruple grip lockup is very robust, and the gun sounds like an 8lb Perazzi when it closes, even though it weighs only 6.5 lbs. There are the standard Purdey underbolts, and then two extensions on the barrels. The first extends off the back of the rear lump and is locked down by a bolt extending forward from the bottom of standing breech – essentially a third Purdey underbolt. The other barrel extension is similar to the Webley screw grip – it extends into the top of the standing breech and is cammed down by the top lever, which relies on threads in the spindle to lock it down.

The barrels had some surface corrosion so NECG reblued them. I ended up having the gun restocked using a Cecil Fredi blank – I asked NECG to duplicate the shape and checkering pattern from the original stock as closely as possible and I think they got it right.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice restock, Doverham. I've just been doing some research on V-C guns. Have owned a couple in the past, but never one with sideplates. I recall that Steve Barnett had a V-C sidelock for sale a few years back, great condition. You don't see many of those. Thought about chasing it a few times, never did.

Rene Fonck, WWI Spad pilot and surviving ace of aces (from both sides--75 kills), shot a V-C Helice gun. He gave the gun high marks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Larry. Osprey has a Silverside sidelock for sale right now and Cabela's had one not too long ago. Osprey's is pretty pricey (more than 4x what I paid for this gun), but that said, it is looks to be a very well made gun with top shelf fit and finish - though the seller's "best" gun claim may be a little over the top. Still, you could spend a lot more and get a lot less.

V-C Silverside

Last edited by Doverham; 03/30/13 05:49 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a nice looking gun, quite similar to the one Barnett had as best I can recall--but priced about 50% higher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul is looking for a bit of info on this Belgian made sidelock with Helicobloc and VERCAR(Verney-Carron) on the toplever.

JNO. HY. ANDREW & CO. LTD. TOLEDO STEEL WORKS SHEFFIELD

One doesn't see that many of the Andrew Toledo Steel tubes so I wonder if there was just one outlet in Liege.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200594&page=1

I have seen some sketchy info that the Helicobloc VERCAR might fall under a 1924 patent by Verney - Carron. Another topic of interest is regarding the stop on the left side of the toplever. Did the V-C Helicobloc VERCAR cover a toplever stop also. It is seen on just a few sporting weapons and Paul has an A. Cordy with such.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Antoine Cordy w/ toplever stop on frame.

The V-C at Osprey also has the same stop

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

JNO. HY. ANDREW & CO. LTD. TOLEDO STEEL WORKS SHEFFIELD 1899 Australian trademark - 1st trademark more than likely filed in 1898.

1902 U.S. of A. advert.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey - that is an interesting gun, minimal engraving but a fancy trigger guard inlay, rounded front lump and disc-set strikers. It also looks to be one of a pair(?). I don't have the information on hand unfortunately but I can post some information on the Helicobloc patent in a few days from one of their catalogs.

The top-lever stop is present on m V-C as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you noticed the toplever stop prior and what do you know about it? Is it V-C related or is it touted in their catalgoue?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.