May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Licensed to kill, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 275 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely, lovely effort there Wild Bovine. Hum, how 'bout some birth and death dates as well as the date of being dubbed a knight?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

One question that I do have is centered around the V-C tube making villa. Let's say they were making tubes, then why post WWII, 1953 or thereabouts, why would V-C(control freak) want to bring Jean Brueil(Breuil-Aulagner) and possible another master tube maker under their umbrella?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle

Their catalog included the "Helice-elite" (sic) brand and the "Gallia" brand.
"Gallia" is of course a play on the Latin name for what France was way back...

They may have wanted to distinguish the few Gaul inland tubes they were using vs. all the Belgian components they were importing????? I just hope you are having as much fun as I am.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
One question that I do have is centered around the V-C tube making villa. Let's say they were making tubes, then why post WWII, 1953 or thereabouts, why would V-C(control freak) want to bring Jean Brueil(Breuil-Aulagner) and possible another master tube maker under their umbrella?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Based on the history posted on their website, that was the third amalgamation they went through in the 20th century, so it is perhaps not that extra-ordinary. Interestingly, shortly after the Brueil combination, they report that they scotched their earlier manufacturing techniques and modernized their barrel-making.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham, you mean to say the they actually started to manufacture tubes? Put it in English please???? I do not think them to be imbibers of Scotch? Can't wait till Mr. Brown gets up.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In their words:

Quote:

Jean Verney-Carron died is 1961. Albert de Veron de La Combe, nephew of Auguste Marze, assumed control along with Claude and Henri, Jean's sons. SIFARM (a combination of the venerable manufacturers Berthon Frères, Francisque Darne, Didier-Drevet, Gerest and Ronchard-Cizeron) was absorbed in 1963, along with the famous Canonnerie (Barrel makers) Jean Breuil. Verney-Carron now effectively controlled all its manufacturing, and Henri Verney-Carron, Technical Director, fully mastered the secrets of barrel-making. He decided to abandon earlier techniques, putting in place modern processes and installing efficient new equipment, thus producing barrels ranking among the best in the world.

It does not entirely make sense. Note the statement that, post-merger, V-C "now effectively controlled all of its manufacturing," which implies that others were making some components for them previously (possibly including barrels). V-C then "fully mastered" barrel making (presumably through access to Breuil's expertise and methods), but shortly thereafter overhauled those "earlier techniques" and replaced them with "modern processes" and "efficient new equipment." So one could read this to mean that they acquired their barrel-maker, learned his methods, and then chose to reject those methods in favor of modern barrel-making technology.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the way I read and interpreted it but more external inputs needs to be entered. I don't doubt Jacob Holtzer as the steel source but they peddled bars. So there must have been an intermediary between the bar stock and the tube in the rough. In comparison it is quite easy to cut & polish a tube in the rough vs. whopping on a bar of steel to convert it to a rough tube. For the post WWI period, I'd really like to see an inventory of Pratt & Whitney machines to support the effort of tube making.

Yeah, V-C were really adamant on control of the overall process for some reason. Maybe wanted to protect their Helibloc contribution.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually Raimey, according to the information I found on Holtzer, they made "canons". Once more, whether that's barrels or artillery pieces is unclear because "canons" had both meanings, but I don't believe we can eliminate the possibility that they made barrels.

Nor can we eliminate the possibility that V-C made their own. The sentence "He decided to abandon earlier techniques, putting in place modern processes and installing efficient new equipment, THUS PRODUCING BARRELS RANKING AMONG THE BEST IN THE WORLD" sounds to me like V-C modernized their BARREL-MAKING techniques, since that is the specific reference. However, once again, it's not entirely clear.

Why incorporate a barrel-maker into their operation? Well . . . why incorporate Francisque Darne, who made guns based on an entirely different action? In England, why did Atkin and Lang merge, later incorporating both Grant and Lancaster? I recall touring the Federal Cartridge operation some years ago, after they acquired Estate. But rather than continue Estate's former (rather unique) shotshell operation, what they did was use the name on a cheaper line of shells--and put to good use some modern machinery that belonged to Estate.

Much more recently, V-C acquired the former Demas operation. Prior to that, as recently as the late 90's, V-C was having its two lines of side by sides manufactured for them elsewhere in the European Union, while they concentrated on OU's. Demas became "L'Atelier Verney-Carron" which handles both sxs and higher grade OU production for the company.

Guessing at why a company incorporates another is pretty much . . . guessing. That is, without supporting documentation.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/21/13 11:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Larry,
Some times, when industries change, lots of companies go out of business, and are sold for almost nothing. In those cases, people with some cash can acquire famous brand names for very little.
Henry Rieger was a good example of this, buying a slew of companies (their names really) in the early 20th century.
The end of WWII was such a time, when people needed money to rebuild their home, and not to go hunting.
I suspect that V-C went on such a spree and cheaply acquired these brands that were quite important before the war.
Jean Breuil was 75 years old in 1951, and probably was the heart and soul of his operation. After his departure, his business could have unraveled.
The situation in the UK was similar with major concentration at the same time, and the unraveling of dozens of well-known firms (such as Woodward).
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd have to say too that absorbing, merging, consolidating smells fishy & typically points to some type of financial instability, i.e. either they could not manufacture tubes/their products economically or their sourcing modells were a bit on the expensive side. You can call it a guess, but the preponderance of evidence is pulling the scales for V-C to be more of a firearms merchant. Hold out for as long as you like, you could be right. If V-C was the primary and absorbed the others, it might be the light of a glimmer of hope, although quite dim?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.