May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jerry G, Lloyd3), 153 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,072
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know of any articles on the Kennedys other than the Gun Report article by Tordoff of October, 1996? Does anyone have a Kennedy shotgun with carved stocks or highly engraved? Anyone researching or collecting them today?

mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not aware of any articles, but I know they sold Teddy Roosevelt a couple of shotguns which he mentions in one of his books. I believe the company existed well into the 20th century, and have seen catalogs on Ebay. I would be interested in seeing the Tordoff article or anything else that is available. My guess is that the railroad barons in St. Paul (J.J. Hill, etc.) bought some high-end stuff from them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont think this will help, but...I am pretty sure I have one of their catalogs. The bad part is it is 30's vintage, listing Parkers Smiths Brownings ect..But I dont remember seeing anything about custom work. I will look tonight.
Lawrence

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had talked with a collector of Minn guns a few years ago. Forgot the gentleman's name. If I remember correctly, the Kennedy's were in business until sometime in the early 1960s. I do think that they stopped building guns a good many years before that, though. Perhaps in the 1930s???
The one example in my collection, in need of cosmetic restoration is a very well built side hammer gun.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I checked, I have catalog 137 from the Fall season of 1939. There is no mention of custom work, though they sold some nice toys. They did do repair work and claimed to act as a parts depot for gunsmiths through out the North West. The masthead says they were established in 1867 if that is helpful.
Good Luck.
Lawrence

Boxlock
Boxlock

I can remember Kennedy Brothers Arms at the old seven corners in downtown St. Paul as a very young boy. There was a least one punt gun over a counter and a long canoe hanging from the ceiling. It was a wonderous place my grandfather took me to. I still have two canoes that were my grandfather's with Kennedy Arms medallions in the triangle at the bow. I took many canoe trips in them in Canada with him. The memory is dim of the place and I'm 59, so that gives you a very rough idea of when they went out of business. I can barely remember seven corners when there were still seven corners there. At one time the street car lines ran through the intersection I believe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have their catalogue No. 180 Fall 1947 -- Winter 1948. It gives their address as Fifth & Minnesota Streets, and on the cover it says "Established 1867". So, they got there a couple of years before my Swedish ancestors made it to Hennepin County, but likely 200 or more years after my French ancestors.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the input, I'm doing some follow up on John having a Kennedy shotgun with carving like the posted rifles. The rifles would have been made circa 1916-25. I have an ad from Forest & Stream January, 1917 where a fellow is looking to have his Springfield remolded into a sporter and one place they recommend is Kennedy Brothers, St. Paul, MI. I have never seen a custom rifle marked or identified as made by the Kennedys so the possibility does
exist.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.