May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, smlekid, bsteele, 2 invisible), 579 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,049
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just realized some may not be familiar with Rotel. Adds just a little kick to the grits. If you want more, use two cans of Rotel and leave off the other can of petite diced tomatoes.

http://www.ro-tel.com/Diced-Tomatoes-Products/Original-Canned-Diced-Tomatoes-and-Chilies

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Just realized some may not be familiar with Rotel. Adds just a little kick to the grits.

Geez, and I thought Rotel was the oil you use in your diesels. It would give the grits a little extra character.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you think Rotel over grits is good, try this:
Shrimp and Grits
4 cups coarse ground grits, prepared with half milk and half water according to package instructions.
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups half and half
1 pound small shrimp, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon sherry
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes. Add half and half slowly, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Add shrimp and allow to cook in sauce for not more than 10 minutes on low heat, until pink. Season to taste. Mix can be refrigerated and reheated on stove top or microwave before serving. To serve, place grits in covered casserole. Have shrimp sauce in separate covered casserole. Serve sauce over grits. From Savannah Entertains by Martha Giddens Nesbit. Great recipe and not hard to make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Stan, GA dove season finally opens day after tomorrow. We've followed the preparation of your sunflower field through the Summer. How about a pic or two of the finished product ready for Saturday's opener? Feel free to allow a drove or two of doves to appear in the pics!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wouldn't mind seeing a few double guns with doves falling amidst the sunflowers as well, Stan.

Regards, Tim

Last edited by Tim Carney; 09/05/13 11:29 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here you go guys. This is the culmination of all the work on the field.

We had a great lunch again (we're better at that than we are at shooting!). Pulled pork, low country boil, macaroni and cheese casserole, and finished off with banana pudding and fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies.

After satiating our hunger for food we sat around for about three hours. The only game on TV was the Clemson/SC State game. I wasn't really interested in it, so I contented myself, as many did, by relaxing and catching up on a year's stories, since many of us hadn't been together in that long. Lots of youngsters (of all ages) wink .

As I said, we went to the field about 4 p.m. and the shooting started immediately. As is my tradition now, I opened the season with my little Yildiz .410 S x S. It has done me proud for the previous two years' opening days, and I felt inclined to wring it out again. Grandson Jackson (11) was using a Rem. 1100 LT 20, other grandson Lane was shagging birds again. The little rascal loves his job!! And he's so good at it he has gained the attention of several of the men, one of whom is so jealous he offered to buy my "retriever". Said he was the best retriever he had ever seen in his life. He ain't for sale, I've grown kinda partial to him, myself. You can see that, even though Jackson, who is in the background behind Lane, has shot with me for three years since age 8, I still keep him close by and under my direct supervision.

We called it a day about 6 p.m., so as to allow the birds to feed before too late. Jackson wanted to stick with it until he got his first limit (he killed 14 one day last year at age 10), but was mature enough to understand it was time to pee on the fire and call the dogs. He ended the day with 11, still not bad for his age. I got my limit early with the Yildiz, and sat there with them for the rest of the shoot hoping for a ringnecked dove or two to come by, and helping Jackson watch for doves. Here's my pride and joy together with Jackson's bag, and then a pic of the Yildiz and it's booty.

That's it for now I guess. Oh yeah. One more thing. The Yildiz did get a bonus as we were leaving for home. I wouldn't use a 3" load on him, figuring that 1/2 oz. of #8s should be just about right at 10 feet. It was.

I'll probably post a few more pics as we shoot the field some more, but it's been fun. Thanks to those of you who have followed it all the way, these last 5 months, and have sent questions and encouragements. Thanks to my Creator, most of all, for giving me a start to another dove season. Only He, and I, know how much I really appreciate it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for a wonderful thread Stan. smile That mac-n-cheese with the pulled pork looks excellent. Care to tell the ingredients of the bottle marked "Swamp Juice". grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story Stan - start to finish. Land of pleasant living down there, for sure.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine looking young men you have there, Stan! Glad the opener was a success for all of you. Have much enjoyed the installments and progression. Looks like you drew near perfect weather as well, so perhaps that helps make up for the extra week's worth of wait;-)

Kind regards, tw

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.