May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (bushveld, 2 invisible), 176 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,073
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've seen this mentioned previously on this site.

So just how important is balancing ont the hinge pin?

I pulled out all six of my SxS's and checked them woth a short 2x4 set on edge. Here's how they balanced:
+2.5", + 2.25", + 1.5", + 1",
one: dead nuts
one: -1.25"

The one with the balance point behind the pin is my LC Smiht that I shoot rather well. I has a Silvers added for length. Would hollowing the butt to balance the gun improve it's handling?

I'm a real hacker @ SC's shooting mostly skeet and on rare occassions trap. Any advantage to weight forward guns for trap?

Thanks, Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

You probably answered your own question. What's important is how you shoot the gun rather than where the balance point is. Sounds like you shoot well with a weight forward gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, the hinge pin has nothing to do with the dynamic balance point. It is just a convienent place tradition says it should balance. Most experts suggest a dynamic gun should balance about 4 1/4" in front of the front trigger (Stephen Dodd Hughes, Burrard, Gough Thomas, etc.). That pretty much puts half the guns weight in each hand. And such a balanced gun tends to be very fast to mount and shoot. However, if it is primarily a gun for SC you might like the weight to be slightly forward. A weight forward gun tends to swing smoother.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

So many important variables other than balance point. I have several guns with much the same balance points. I generally shoot one of those guns better than the others, thanks to better fit of stock. However, the ones I shoot almost as good have rather different stocks!

Enjoy the gun you shoot best.

Shooting from low gun, so many things can be decisive, even the thickness of clothes (I even vary thickness of slip on leather butt pad to compensate).

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig,

I think this hinge pin balance point that is written about so much is a bit misleading. The hinge pin location is a bit different in most guns. It is way out front on a Model 21 and much closer on the Fox models. The reference point is such a variable from gun to gun it seems useless to use it as a reference point. As an old friend once said, "are ya goin' to shoot or just talk about it?" Enjoy them all for what they each are.

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

The word "balance" is used as a summation subjective assesment of a gun's handling properties or, as here, as the tetter-totter point (center of gravity/CG). As the tetter-totter point, it actually allows you to calculate how the gun's weight is proportioned between the two hands. To make the calculation, you need to know the distance between the hands and the distance of each hand to the balance point. Weight is then inversely proportional to the distance from hand to balance point. Since we need to connect balance point to hands, it is convenient to reference balance point to the (front) trigger; the trigger hand must always be located relative to the trigger to fire the gun. For example, the balance point is located 5" in front of the trigger, the center of the shooter's back hand is located 3" behind the trigger and the center of the front hand is located 4" in front of the balance point (12" hand spread). The weight is then proportioned at the inverse % of each distance divided by the total distance: front hand is inverse of 4" / 12" = 33% = 67% and back trigger hand is inverse of 8" / 12" = 67% = 33%. As you can see, balance point moving forward places an increasing amount of the gun's weight into the front hand.

Balance can be referenced to any point on the gun. Reference to the (front) trigger cuts out the step of additional measurements to reference the reference to the hands.

There is no proper balance point. Period. The average for different purpose guns is different. However, the most useful use of balance point is to figure out for yourself what envelope of balance point is best for YOU individually. Couple balance point with weight and swing effort (MOI at balance point) and you have nicely defined the gun handling you prefer or shoot best personally. It is naieve to reference balance to the hinge pin since, as stated above, the hinge pin location is quite variable. Breach face is more constant than hinge pin, but trigger is 100% related to hand location. Trigger allows conparison of all types of guns, pumps and autos included.

CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks gentlemen for yor responses. The above referenced LC Smith with the balance point 1 1/4" behind the pin is deffinitely "butt" heavy with the Silvers pad. I'm considering hollowing out the butt to compensate.

Thanks Rocketman for your excellent explanation of how to find the optimum location.
Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member

Craig,
You stated that even though the L.C.Smith was -1.25 you shoot it well. If that's the case, why change it at all?

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.