Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two or three light coats of Tung oil hand rubbed into the stock will be much more durable than any polish. Formbys sells Tung oil finish in three finishes shiny, satin and dull. I prefer the satin and dull myself but that's just a personal preference. You can do two coats of Tung oil over a four day period and if reasonably cared for it will last may seasons.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i would think you would clean the stock of wax, polish, before tung oiling it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never thought anyone would use Formby's Lemon oil, or actual Lemon grass oil, as a gun stock finish.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

ALLERGIES! Test a little of the oil before using. I did not and ended up in hospital with severe allergic reaction, it was not funny.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years back I tried using tung Oil & while I liked it as a finish every time I used it my hands broke out with a rash, so I discontinued it use. In his book "Gunsmithing" Roy Dunlap mentioned this caveat of using tung oil stating a good number of WWII GI's developed a rash from handling Japanese rifles they had picked up off the battlefield. It5 would seem that most are unaffected by it but some are.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly those who don't live in 5% humidity could be less condescending toward those who do. The rest of us non-experts sadly must depend on the advice of others. And the best advice is of course from someone without a financial interest in the product.

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/fl-hi-500.pdf

These folks like Tung Oil
http://artisansofthedesertstudio.com/furniture-care

And we understand that a gun stock is not furniture, but it spends most of the time inside a home, with the rest of the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Strange how those contact allergies work. I don't seem to be affected by much of anything including poison ivy but when I do finish work with Tung or poly oils I do wear surgical gloves just to keep the gunk out of my fingernails.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I never thought anyone would use Formby's Lemon oil, or actual Lemon grass oil, as a gun stock finish.

Best,
Ted

Ted, you've been on this bbs for a long time. How could you ever think that people would quit doing stupid things to guns? Lemon oil, Ed's Red, linseed oil, Briley chokes, etc. "Going down to the health food store for some stock oil - need any vitamins while I'm there?"

it just never ends

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=399943&start=20

"The gunsmith at the Beretta Gallery in NYC used to use Wilbert's lemon oil on stocks."

Googled Wilbert's but it looks to have been discontinued

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Possibly those who don't live in 5% humidity could be less condescending toward those who do.

My apologies, Drew, if I came across as condescending. That certainly was not my intention.

To your point about furniture and gunstocks spending most of their time indoors, I suppose it would be worth mentioning that fine furniture doesn't get taken afield and used in rain, snow, ice, etc., or handled for hours on end, day after day, with sweaty, grimy hands on a sporting clays course. Just a thought.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.