April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, earlyriser, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 1,262 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Eagle Heads sounds like Cap or Falla.
Could you tell what they means in this case ?
Quote:
When Shooting Sportsman Magazine first started up in the '80's, there was an article in one of those early issues titled "As good as a Purdey?".
Thanks for the hint, it seems that article was in February/March 1988´s magazine

"Good As A Purdey or Parisian Magic
Topics: Finding a substitute for a London "best" gun Gauge: "Ets. Lien, Chapu, Callens"

It seems too that article reprints are quite expensive, 60$ or even 70$ so it´s too expensive to order it to here Finland. But if anybody of yours have that magazine and he could scan me a copy of article I would appreciate very much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As with many of the French sporting weapons, they were made on the backs of the talented tube makers in Liege:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20e%20f/a%20falla%20gb.htm
Littlegun gives the above as Jean Falla but his predecessor Josef Cap may have commenced with the mark.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks a lot, Raimey ! Have you any idea who own those initials "JT" ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, one would have to determine if any effort was applied in France, which I think not, and then attribute the initials to either St. Etienne or Liege. If Liege, my 1st guess would be Jean Thonnard. As it has been stated, images would be most beneficial.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Falla used a JF & merged JF so closely inspect with a glass ir use chalk.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, letters JT looks very similar as in this gun engraved by Jean Thonnard. Initials, whose have quite personal design, are in left lower corner of foto below i.e. exact same place as in "my" gun.

Last edited by Igorrock; 06/04/14 01:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Igorrock
I have good recource of books according to proof marks. As I said there is both belgian and french proof marks. Then there is one sign like eagles head which I don´t identify and initials (maybe barrel makers) "JT". Text "Choke" and "17,4" and "18,4". Barrels have honed and re-blued but you could hardly see text "Acier xxxxx" which should tell steel of barrels.

This shotgun has engaved very sparely; only narrow "band" round the lock plate and some on screws head.

According yours comments and proof marks it seems that shotgun has been made and proofed in Belgium and then imported and re-proofed in France. Seller was G. Callens.

I find from internet one auction cataloque where has sold very similar shotgun. Seller has descibed shotgun as follows:

"fusiL De chasse à platines stéphanois G. Callens. 2 coups, calibre 12/65, éjecteurs. 2 paires de canons juxtaposés de 80 cm. Chokes : droits : full et 1/4 ; gauche : full et 1/2. bascule et platines gravées de bouquets et rinceaux feuillagés. Double détentes dont une articulée. Crosse en noyer de 36,5 cm avec rallonge de 1,5 cm, en partie quadrillé. 5e catégorie. Dans une valise en bois recouverte de cuir, garnie à l'intérieur de feutre bordeaux. Étiquette dans le couvercle "Maison Lien et Chapu Callens Sr Paris"."

There is one foto of gun and it seems to be very similar but with two barrels:

Raimey, the first sentence in the above description in French, of the other Callens gun the original poster found, indicates that it's either a St. Etienne gun, or the individual who wrote the description believes it to be from St. Etienne. "Stephanois" is the adjective for someone or something from St. Etienne. Of course it's possible that Callens, who I'm still thinking is a dealer in Paris rather than a gunmaker, could have had guns made both in St. Etienne and Liege.

Igorrock, I can't make out all the proofmarks in your photo, but everything I can make out looks Belgian to me. Could be I'm missing something, but I don't see any St. Etienne proofs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be comfortable with the fact that Callens sourced both, but we have yet to see any image of the subject sporting weapon coupled with some verbiage. Said verbiage described a mixed set of worn marks along with Cap/Falla's Eagle head & JT. Without images, all this points to Belgian sourcing. Can't say on any of the other Callens.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Callens seems to be a dealer in Paris. Just found this:

http://www.naturabuy.fr/12-70-Damon-Petrick-item-1282266.html#description

"Fait pour Callens & Modé Paris"
Voila!

And there are other "Callens" on naturabuy.fr

Gunwolf

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are photos of proofmarks and trademark on my Callens, also do you think there was an inlay on the forend that is missing?

Trademark on the standing breech

normal Belgian proofmarks

marks forward of the flats

some thing missing here?

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.