Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

G'day, new guy here. Doing a general Google search on the above rifle leads me repeatedly to here so I registered and now you're stuck with me. wink

After registration, I did conduct a search where I found out quite a bit on the calibre itself but not much on the rifle. I was hoping to see what other nuggets of information might be supplied.

The barrel is marked as in the topic title...'Sauer & Sohn' out on the barrel and calibre over the breech in a 'box'.

The breech is marked on the side with a Crown over B, next to a Crown over G, both above a Crown over U. Underneath that is, what I have come to learn from here, the gauge marking (right?) of 108/49.

The frame is marked with an identical Crown over B atop a Crown over U.

The only other marks I can find are a serial number on the lower tang behind the triggers, same s/n on the barrel lug, barrel shank and the flat where the frame meets the barrel.

There is one other mark on the bottom of the barrel which I cannot quite decipher...need better light and a 'glass. There are other 'indents' which may only be scars from use but, again, the glass and light...

I can likely put up some photos in a bit, utilizing my 'kitchen table studio', if that will help.

Any other marks I should look for?

What can you tell me about this little rifle?

Thank you,
Hoot

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sauer Tell series. Proofed in final state.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=230775

There are some threads around but here is one I found right off.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Images of any marks on the tube would be beneficial. It was made pre-1912 in Suhl & providing the serial number may aide in a production date range.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Sir. I appreciate the responses and the link.

I will endeavor to take some photos in the next day or so. Other than the marks mentioned, is there any other place I should look? I have done only cursory disassembly.

So, while I have your ear, a few more questions...
Your first post mentions "Sauer Tell series'. Is 'Tell' the model? I've seen it represented as if it were.
You also mention "Proofed in the final state". Sorry for being new to all of this but what does 'final state' mean?

Serial number is 103187.

Again, many thanks for your help.
Hoot

Edited to add: Looking through the bore, and the rifling is most unusual to my eye. It consists of fairly graceful convex curves, separated by fairly sharp triangular "lands". I am expecting an interesting slug.

Last edited by Hoot4570; 11/28/14 10:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"final state" I believe means the firearm was finished, ready to go out the door.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Proofed in the final state would be the tube being profiled, rifling cut & possibly all the wood on, ready for embellishment. I guess what it really notes is that the submitter opted to defer the preliminary proof of the tube and anticipated that the construction was such that the tube would survive. 10 years earlier than this example, few, if any, would have gone out on that limb.

"Hahnlose Selbstspannerbüchse
genannt "Tell"
Konstruction: J.P. Sauer & Sohn

Diese Waffe stellt in Nr. 3 - 5 eine leichte, handliche Pürschbüchse dar, die durch geringes
Gewicht, billigen Preis und billige
Munition sich sehr gut eingeführt hat.

Beschreibung.

Der Verschlusshebel ist mit dem Verschlusshaken aus einem
Stück gearbeitet. Der Verschluss ist radial.

Das Rohr dreht sich um ein solides Charnier.

Das Schloss ist auf dem Abzug-bezw. Stechschlosskasten montiert.
Ein an dem Verschlusshaken angebrachtes Gelenkstück spannt den Hahn automatisch.

Der stark konstruierte Auszieher schiebt die Patron soweit zurück,
das man dieselbe bequem herausnehem kann.

Ein Signalstift zeigt auf dem Verschluss-Stück an, ob das Gewehr
gespannt ist, oder nicht.

Schäftung mit Pistolgriff und Backe. - Gewicht ca. 2 1/4 kg.
Die Büchsen werden nur in nebenstehend aufgeführten, festliegenden
Modellen, resp. Nummern angefertigt."

I believe this catalogue was from 1907?

From Stephen's list it would more than likely date to 1902-1903-1904.

Let me acquire the next page.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell - Tellbüchse I - V - Price

Tell - Tellbüchse I - IV - Patron or Cartridge

Ah, there's the date, 1907, & the source.
Tell - Tellbüchse V - Patron or Cartridge
From your verbiage this is yours - 9.3X57R(360) - 9.3mm diameter, 57mm long - Rand-rimmed, based on 360 BPE - British Black Powder Express - Express after Purdey's comparison to the British Express Trains

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

J.P. Sauer & Sohn 1896 Trademark protection Nr. 5720 - Bruxelles

Are there any Sauer Wildmann with a Club/Staff quality marks on it similar to the above, which is given as Hercules donning a lion skin bonnet wielding a club?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoot4570,

Does your rifling look like this?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.