May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (bushveld, bigblock, Jtplumb, Birdog), 846 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney

44 As for your male and female slaves whom you may have--you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you.

45 Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession.

46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Jack, what version are you quoting? The King James version I have is different.

Last edited by JM; 05/06/07 06:06 PM.

The original King James version uses the archaic terms "bondmen" and "bondmaids" - the New King James, English Standard, New American Standard and other modernized versions of the bible all translate that as "slaves." Bondage is synonymous with slavery.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, mine only refers to them as servants, and that they may buy them.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nancy just asked what I was laughing about. I said this board has put at least 20 years on my life. Many thanks all hands.

Yeah, when you can buy and sell human beings, and will them as property to your heirs, there are all sorts of ways to describe it. In my great great grandfather's will, he never used the term "slave." But he left "my negro man Billy" and "my negro woman Amy" to his wife, and "the first Child of my negro woman" to his daughter...along with his horses, cattle, sheep and hogs.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tribe and Dershowitz . . . interestingly enough, I recall that one of this pair (maybe both) also supports torture under certain circumstances--like if the individual being tortured is in possession of information that can disrupt a terrorist plot.

FDR made the decision to "relocate" thousands of Japanese Americans, and he insisted on the death penalty for German "saboteurs"--who had never even attempted to commit sabotage. (And he got what he wanted in the latter case, via military tribunal.) Does that make him liberal, in comparison to the conservative President Bush???

Sidelock
Sidelock

Homosapiens have been around about 200,000 years. The Brits outlawed slavery in 1832 and Americans in 1865 (Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 only pertained to border states). Not much difference. Mauritania outlawed slavery in 1989 but it is still practiced there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Tribe and Dershowitz . . . interestingly enough, I recall that one of this pair (maybe both) also supports torture under certain circumstances--like if the individual being tortured is in possession of information that can disrupt a terrorist plot.

I seem to remember the same thing and I think it was about Dershowitz. I think he has very strong feelings about Israel and all that. We all tend to take care of our own issues. Funny, eh? Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

King:

The definitions of Natural Law provide for few things.

My pursuit of happiness is a natural right until I collide with someone elses pursuit of happiness. As someone, I wish I knew who said :"My right to freely swing my fist ends at the tip of someone elses nose."

"Slavery" is not a natural right, at least not according to Hobbes and Beccaria and Locke.

I am not responsible for the ignorance you encountered in Georgia, no matter what banner it flew. In the Bible, reference to slavery and slaves necessarily mostly refers to Saxons and Angles and Ostrogoths and Visigoths and Medes and Greeks and Gauls and Jutes as these are the folks who lost wars with the Romans and were therefore enslaved. I call to mind Onesimus in the Epistle to Philemon - Onesimus is a Greek.

St. Pauls comments merely acknowledge the existence of slavery, and neither condemn it nor commend it. Please note he didnt have anything bad to say about the Roman Empire, either, even though his people were oppressed by it.

This is a digression, however.

The gents who wrote the US Constitution believed in Natural Rights, ( referred to as Inalienable Rights in the Declaration ) and the reason they wanted to give 'ol King George the heave ho, was because Georgius Rex and his parliamemnt was trampling on them. Like it or not, the whole of American Constituional jurisprudence is based on it - if there were no natural Rights, rebellion against the Crown was unlawful and immoral.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, after "200,000 years of homo sapians" (according to Pete, I am no authority), we have had maybe 140 years (or maybe more like 40 to be more honest) of no slavery in a small part of the Western World. It still exists in a much larger part of our green earth. Our life since 1865 (or 1965) as an emancipated population is but a blip on the calendar of humanity. The separation of the classes by economics in our world today is to some a prediction of the return to slavery in even the most enlightened societies.

Page 4 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.