April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (obsessed-with-doubles, Lloyd3, ClapperZapper, SKB, Drew Hause, 1 invisible), 531 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,097
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Originally Posted By: Pete
Mauritania outlawed slavery in 1989 but it is still practiced there.

Actually, slavery in Mauritania was outlawed in 1905 (by the French), and again in 1960 (by the Islamic Republic)...but I was attended by slaves at the governor's residence in Boutilimit in 1975! Mauritania outlawed slavery again in 1981 (by the military junta), but by all accounts it continues today.

Interesting thing was, the slaves I saw were better dressed, better fed and better treated than most 'free' Mauritanians, because they were considered valuable property! Desert people were eager to sell their children, not just for the cash, but because slavery might give their kids a better life.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com

I'm not much of a scholar. I barely read anything.

That said, it seems to me that we're talking about different things. I'm not going to get into the slavery issue, with regard to "what the Bible says" because faith-based, yet scholarly, discussions always seem (or lean towards the) absurd.

We may have (animal) proclivities that lead us to commmit acts that would be perceived, by most, as evil. That is probably why people came up with tribal laws, religions, governments to begin with. There is power in consensus. That power works both for and against the "rights" of the individual, hence the need to recognize and protect the individual (animal/natural) right to self preservation.

"Liberals" are the FIRST people who should recognize this! They share something in common with the "founding fathers" of our "government"... They don't trust THEMSELVES!~) I'm not sure how that translates into trusting their respective governments.

Last edited by Jacob Jesus Escape'; 05/07/07 11:07 AM.

thelatestinsanity
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jack maloney
Interesting thing was, the slaves I saw were better dressed, better fed and better treated than most 'free' Mauritanians, because they were considered valuable property! Desert people were eager to sell their children, not just for the cash, but because slavery might give their kids a better life.

That's not too far off what was crossing my mind in regards to the Bible about the "buying" of others regardless of the term being used such as servant, bondman, slave, etc. How many were similar to being indentured servants vs. captivity against one's will? No doubt there were those held in captivity by Israel against their will that were likely captured during wars with the Phillistines and other nations just as Israel was taken into captivity by the Babylonians.

Originally Posted By: JM

That's not too far off what was crossing my mind in regards to the Bible about the "buying" of others regardless of the term being used such as servant, bondman, slave, etc. How many were similar to being indentured servants vs. captivity against one's will? No doubt there were those held in captivity by Israel against their will that were likely captured during wars with the Phillistines and other nations just as Israel was taken into captivity by the Babylonians.

...and the point is?

Effectively, almost all mericans are enslaved by our dependence on credit!~) In any case, being an armed slave is always a better deal.

thelatestinsanity
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jacob, good point. Actually I had much more profound points to ponder on the second amendment and liberals than I did on slavery, but the slavery business is so misunderstood that I was almost forced to comment on that rather than the theme of the thread! A "liberal outlook on the second amendment" is not to be confused with "liberals versus conservatives" in modern U.S. politics. They are two very different uses of the L word.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"The separation of the classes by economics in our world today is to some a prediction of the return to slavery in even the most enlightened societies."

A profound observation, eightbore, and it seems there aren't enough of core beliefs and intellect to do anything about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, King, I sure can't do anything about it. I'm not going back to school for a more technical education and I'm nicely involved in a defined benefit retirement program and am looking for a few minutes of free time to apply for my first SS check, due in October. I am truly a dinosaur who will not be enslaved, but as for my grandchildren, I don't know. Is there a book I can have them read that explains adequately the way they may be denied partication in a free economic society as they mature?

How is "the separation of the classes by economics" any different today from other times? The classes have always been separated by economics, and always will be.

JJE: "Our dependence on credit" is voluntary servitude, not slavery. Only the addict believes he is not free to choose.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, at least on this side of the pond that divides us from Europe, the gulf of separation between the haves and have nots (or, more properly, between the "have lots" and the "haves"--CEO's and workers) has widened significantly of late. In Europe, at least if you go back to the time of nobles, peasants and serfs, the gulf of separation has grown narrower--partly, at least, because of the tax structure in most European countries. And the fact that it's fairly hard to find peasants and serfs these days. So while the classes are still separated, they're separated in a far different fashion today than in the past. And there are also far more people in the middle, compared to those on either the high or low end.

JJE: "Our dependence on credit" is voluntary servitude, not slavery. Only the addict believes he is not free to choose.

Voluntary servitude... Yep... Too danged much of that going around!~)

Luckily(?) for me, "credit" is one of those few things to which I have never been addicted. I am currently debt free...and have the dearth of goods to prove it!~) This sloth addiction is killing me, though!

thelatestinsanity
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.