April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 279 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mattl46 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all. My first post here. been lurking finally decided it was time to join. Glad to be a part of this community. Anyhow, Ill try to keep this long story short. I have 2 receivers with no bbls. One is an LC Smith Field grade. The other is an Ithaca (slightly higher grade case coloring and a small amount of engraving) Im unsure of the model for the Ithaca. I believe both are 20ga. But am not positive. That is one of my questions, Help identifying it. Ill post pics later. Although if it helps right away there is an "F 20" on the receiver flats. My grandfather has had these receivers for a very long time. He was a very talented Tool and Die maker and hobby gunsmith. He acquired them for some project or repair im sure. Either way hes no longer here to ask, and hasn't been for going on 10 years now. So it became my dads problem. Id love to put a smile on my dads face and find a set of bbls to fit to one or even better both of these receivers. Any avenues/suggestions anyone of you fine folk could give me would be HUGELY appreciated. Ive been at this for a long time. I wont give up hope but it has been a lot of dead ends. Anyway, thank you for your time.

Matt.

Last edited by mattl46; 03/04/15 05:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the forum Matt! Barrel and wood are possible, but will likely need some professional gunsmithing to fit(expensive unless you can do it yourself) You need to figure out what model Ithaca frame you have. We could tell from a picture or just the serial number.

Both E-bay and GunBroker feature parts. You'll want to find barrels that approximate the serial number of your guns for a better chance of a fit.

Whole lot easier to just buy the entire guns and hold on to your receivers as keepsakes to remember your Granddad...Geo

mattl46 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Geo, Thank you so much for your interest. I understand it would be easier and cheaper to go the used route but something is keeping me from doing that.(for now) Even though there are a lot of affordable Ithaca and LC doubles on the gun sites. My dad has advanced gunsmithing experience. Not a pro but I think we could very carefully get it done. The serial is 469809 on one side of the receiver flat. opposite side says F 20 Thank you again geo. So far im not ready to give up. ha ha. Ive actually not been able to find a single set of bbls. I haven't tried ebay Ive searched Gunsamerica and gunsinternational endlessly not much searching on gunbroker, but some. Ill try there again. Any other directions you can point me in are of huge value to me. Sincerely, thank you!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello mattl46
Welcome to the site
Pleased to have you here,
These folks are the BEST
Mike

p.s. CALL these folks, sometimes they will surprise you

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ContactUs.htm

other parts
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/LCSmith-33347/NewModelHammerless-36994.htm

Last edited by skeettx; 03/04/15 06:09 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Matt I assume the serial you posted is for the Ithaca, if so it would be an NID model made around 1946-47. My NID 20ga is marked like yours serial on the right and F20 on the left. My guess is that it will be a difficult search. It is easier to find LC Smith barrels, post the serial of the LC frame and any other marks, we will see if we can determine what gauge it is, later LC frame are the same on all gauges except for the standing breech and the spacing between the firing pins.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

mattl46 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Skeet thank you so much for the direction!!! James the serial for the LC Smith is 180038 and I really appreciate your help. I assumed myself that the LC smith might be an easier find. Thank you again.

mattl46 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

also @james We have an LCSmith ideal grade "long range" in 12ga that I compared this naked receiver to. It is noticeably smaller in size and length.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a lot of high serial numbered 16- and 20-gauge Ithaca NID Field Grade finished stocked receivers out there looking for barrels. Apparently Ithaca Gun Co. had a lot that they never made barrels for. Terry Turnbull had a large box of them at Creekside back in the mid-1980s for $150 apiece.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/04/15 08:19 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Brian Dudley on the PGCA site

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just appeared, and looks to be a FW although there is no 'FW' before the SN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LC-Smith-OldNew-...A-/361220817956

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.