April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (RWG, SKB, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 961 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
#398421 03/22/15 12:05 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lots of talk and photos of "Spanish Best" stuff on the board of late, so, I thought I'd post a photo of the single Spanish gun in my collection, and the reason it is there.

This is a "Falcon" built by Ugartechea in 1972. It was specified with 3" chambers, tight chokes (not anymore, they are about CYL/IC) hidden third fastener, and disc set strikers. I bought it to have a double when I was hunting in rough weather, or with a friends unruly Labradors, who have broken the wrists of two shotguns in the time I have known them, and lifted their leg and watered two others, none of them my guns (I know what to expect with his dogs) or when I was forced to use non-toxic shot, which, is mostly steel, in my world. The stock had a broken toe when I got it that had been repaired, and I had it bent over left, without any of the thoughts of resale that would go with doing that to a higher grade gun. I had a new recoil pad fitted to replace the spiffy "White Line" that was installed back in the day-nobody ever went broke underestimating American tastes, after all.
I use it as a traveler, also. The little tool box has spare strikers, and a tool for them, and a few other maintenance items in it, and fits in the K & K aluminum case, which, is Lab proof. I also have the duffle with the bottom compartment the case fits in, and it has been to Europe and South America, over the years.

I have a gun that is even lower rung than this, but, it isn't a double, and gets loaned out or used for trap more than anything else. I hate beating up anything that costs a bunch of money. A few years back, guns just like this were all over the auction sites at sub $500 price levels, something that seems to have changed these days.

This is why I have a Spanish gun. Most of my hunting is rougher than rough, and if it rains or snows on the day I have set aside to go, I still go-hunting days are scheduled and precious. I feed it anything I want, and I don't worry too much about the ramifications of that. If I lost it on a trip, I'd be bummed, but, not all that concerned and not out much money. I've actually given thought to having a tube put in the left barrel, but, the gun works just fine, for birds, just the way it is.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a POS Ted smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Seems the Best Gun to fit your needs :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

A local smith takes some cheap doubles and improves their handling by removing bottom ribs, polishing internals, dimming the bright cheap finishes. The bottom line is about 1000 Euro for a SXS that handles extremely well and has no heirloom angst. They are what a poster said of a good shotgun: "makes you smile when you pick it up and not cry when you drop it". Ted's double seems to fit right in to that category.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 03/22/15 12:53 PM.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that Drew posted a POS shotgun. I had a very good friend who had a 10ga Spanish gun he was going to use for hunting geese. Worked fine the first hunt, but the next weekend, both bbls wouldn't fire. Took it to a gunsmith who inspected it. Well, the firing pins were mushroomed. The other internal parts were so crude and one the gunsmith bent by hand. The smith said, it wasn't worth fixing. As the gun was bought new he returned it for his money and bought a 1100 with it. Soured him on doubles to this day.

The truth is a lot of cheap crappy Spanish gun have been imported here as we all know. If you look on some of the auction/sales sites you can still find them....for cheap.

That being said, some cheaper Spanish guns have gave and are giving good service. I have a few high end Spanish guns that are as good as some of my English guns and couple that are even better.

I like Spanish guns a lot, but I'm also no fool in thinking that all Spanish guns are "hand Made" like some maintain. Sure they are slapped together by hand, but not all have had the intensive hand work that the higher end guns are given.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Ted,

Seems the Best Gun to fit your needs :-)

Well, yes, on somedays. I was actually quite surprised when I opened the box after I bought it off gunbroker, at the stiff price of $404, shipped. The trigger pulls were decent, the checkering is much better than what one typically sees on a Spanish gun, even today, and the poor old girl had seen little actual use.

I do own better guns, Kyrie-It would take quite a bit more than $20,000 to duplicate this gun, a 28 gauge V19 Darne, with a new replacement, today:

But, I do still wonder why I own better guns when the "Not so Bests" have worked out so well.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Your reasons for not taking an expensive gun afield makes sense. I bet you have a few nice ones, though.

I have three levels of shotguns, from best guns to mass produced pumps. I like them all as long as it is an honest gun. I use and shoot all three quality level guns during bird season, dependent on weather and field conditions and where I am hunting. Ironically, it seems that my best guns get scratched and banged up the most but I generally shoot a custom fitted, right weighted, gun better. However, at this point in time in my life, I am not unhappy to miss a bird and watch it fly away to safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

I do like the Darne guns, and have almost pulled the trigger on several of them. I'd actually be hard pressed to verbalize whatever it is that has kept me from hitting the "Bid" button.

Now, with tongue firmly in cheek, here is a Darne for the birds that want to shoot back :-)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474374545

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've dabbled in machine guns since 85 and that is the 1st one of those I have ever seen! One thing is for sure, that MG is Darne ugly!

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Interesting that Drew posted a POS shotgun. I had a very good friend who had a 10ga Spanish gun he was going to use for hunting geese. Worked fine the first hunt, but the next weekend, both bbls wouldn't fire. Took it to a gunsmith who inspected it. Well, the firing pins were mushroomed.
--- snip ---

Ive seen the same thing happen in a Pedro Arrizabalaga. The problem of parts that are poorly heat treated, or not heat treated at all, is sometimes an issue with Spanish shotguns. The problem is not related to maker, or price point, and its just as likely to happen on a top end gun as a bottom end gun. The problem is just an artifact of the network of suppliers of parts and the inability of that network to scale up for sudden higher demand.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons I prefer used guns. If I buy a functional twenty year old gun I know that either it never had a problem with poorly heat treated parts, or the problem was detected and solved many years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ithaca1
I've dabbled in machine guns since 85 and that is the 1st one of those I have ever seen! One thing is for sure, that MG is Darne ugly!

Groan!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hehehe.. couldn't resist:)

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one, Tex.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually had a PM discussion with Ted about a month ago concerning this gun because I had bought one from a guy walking it around a gun show about 7-8 years ago. When he showed it to me and said he'd take no less than $200.00, that seemed like a no-brainer given its' very nice condition, even though I like my Lefevers as much as Ted likes his Darnes.

I never really knew what it was other than knowing it was marked I Ugartechea, Eibar Spain, and was stamped Falcon on the watertable. I thought it was a model 30, but Ted tells me it is actually an upgrade of that model. It has 26" barrels chambered 3" and weighs only 6 lb. 4 oz. It has always been very reliable, and it can be very economical to shoot because often I can buy 12 ga. shells for modern guns very cheaply that I would not ever consider using in any vintage double. The case colors are very nice, and the moderate amount of engraving isn't bad looking or cheesy. Most seem to have pretty plain wood, but I was lucky enough to get one with a little crotch figure in the butt. My varnish is flaking near the buttplate, so it could use a refinish and a slight lowering of the somewhat sharp comb to fit me better. It still has those stylish 1970's white line spacers under the buttplate and grip cap that Ted wisely ditched. At the time I was having my PM discussion with Ted, there were a couple Spanish guns in the For Sale section here with several thousand dollar prices, and from the photos, the checkering on my cheap Uggie seemed equally well executed to one and actually better than the other. It sure is easier on the eyes than most of the under $1500.00 Turkish doubles, and it doesn't have those monobloc lines on the barrels either. In fit, finish, and appearance, it beats any Winchester 24, Savage, or Fox Model B by miles. Best of all, if I fell down while grouse hunting in slashings and treetops, it wouldn't be any great financial loss if I broke it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,
A Darne, is an acquired taste. I like to think that is true of most double shotguns at this juncture in history. There are several idiosyncratic aspects with a Darne that make it more so. To begin with, a Darne must fit you. The stock is held on with a long wood screw, which will not allow for any bend adjustments. LOP is the only thing you can alter, economically, anyway. The action is novel, and takes most of a season of use to become familiar with. The design is light, and, unless the gun was specified to be heavier, they are often too light for most people. My 12 weighs but 6lbs, 1oz, with it's sling attached.
I know folks that have sold everything they owned and converted completely over to sliding breech guns, but, I'm not one of them-but, you have been warned.
If you choose to go down that road, do contact me if you have a question about a gun you are considering. Maybe I could be of help.
This is a photo of both of my Darnes, and the case colored R10 has had a long term role in my hunting. It is restocked to fit me, and a wonderful hunting gun.

The Darne machine gun was primarily intended for pre-WWII aircraft. If there is a lighter fully automatic weapon intended for that use, I'd be truly surprised.
I can't say I anticipate a use for one in my collection, however.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hope you get the old soldier out a bit this fall, Keith. One other thing I detested on mine were the gold plated triggers. I yanked them out and wire wheeled them until it was all gone. Agreed, they are better looking than a lot of guns made here in the US 75 years ago, or anything out of Turkey, at any time.
Lloyd and I have been toying with the idea of a Northwest Angle hunt in northern MN. this fall, and I would more than likely bring this Uggy for that. Access is tough, an indian land's license is required, and I'd be willing to bet the country is wild. Some of it might be canoe access, only. A solid and inexpensive 12 would make sense for that kind of grouse hunting.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh hell Ted, I'll be shooting that Ugartechea in a couple weeks when the purple grackles start trying to get into the soffit of my big garage to nest. The bastards somehow get the aluminum soffit out of the F channel and stuff twigs in to hold it open enough so they can squeeze in and out. I'll be whacking them with Wally World promo loads and clearance sale high brass factories rather than wasting any RST's or low pressure handloads on them. The survivors get educated pretty quickly and then present some fast and challenging shots.

My E grade Lefever has gold plated triggers, so I don't find that part offensive on my Falcon. But those white line spacers gotta go.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

--- snip ---
If you choose to go down that road, do contact me if you have a question about a gun you are considering. Maybe I could be of help.
--- snip ---

Ted,

Fine looking guns that arent doing a thing for my peace of mind! Let me see if I can get on top of my addiction to Spanish Steel, and well talk

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple of Spanish "Not so Best" guns also. This is a 20 gauge Jose Uriguen that I gave $350 for just a few years ago. I call it my boat gun and use it when I jump shoot snipe from my boat. It it also the gun I usually take when I am expecting it to rain. I don't worry about it getting beat up and I wouldn't lose any sleep if it fell off the post in the mud while I was taking a group picture at the end of the hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I only have one "much less than best" Spanish shotgun and it's a 10 ga Gorosabel.

It was about $80.00 used about 40 years ago and I used to shoot the heck out of it without a hiccup. I tore it down last year to replace the white lined pad and refinish the wood, with the intent of putting it back into service for waterfowl. Never got around to putting the new pad on, but I intend to have it ready for the fall waterfowl season.

Last edited by Cameron; 03/22/15 10:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted,

I have an Ugartechea 28 ga marked 'Churchill Royal'. It certainly is not an English Churchill, but it is a decent knockabout upland gun.

It sounds similar to yours, but it has a straight grip and does not have a third fastener. Looks like photos I have seen of the M30.

Anyway, I really like your idea of carrying spare strikers. Do you remember where you found yours and the 3-pronged tool to remove the disks?

Thanks

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: redoak
Hi Ted,

I have an Ugartechea 28 ga marked 'Churchill Royal'. It certainly is not an English Churchill, but it is a decent knockabout upland gun.

It sounds similar to yours, but it has a straight grip and does not have a third fastener. Looks like photos I have seen of the M30.

Anyway, I really like your idea of carrying spare strikers. Do you remember where you found yours and the 3-pronged tool to remove the disks?

Thanks

Cole Haugh made 'em. He went through a period in his life when he was the importer, sorta' like me with the Darnes, and does gunsmithing as well. If you need parts for an Uggy, start with him.
Google him.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted: Where do you figure the cut-off is for "Not so Best"? I have a late 90s New England Arms lefty Arietta 557 in 12 that has been used fairly hard and even dropped once or twice (by me)! Live and learn. I wish it was an 800 series gun so it could better reflect my now, more-evolved tastes, but it fits me so well.... I could never part with it. I'm guessing retail value these days would be well under $3K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Ted: Where do you figure the cut-off is for "Not so Best"?

Not speaking for Ted, but when I saw the phrase "not so best" my English to English translator popped out "inexpensive, workingman's gun", "truck (or boat or barn) gun"

Here's what I take out when things are slick enough that I'm worried about falling on the gun and breaking a stock:

Astra Imperial,12 Gauge:

Zabala Hermanos "Churchill Windsor", 20 gauge via Kassnar:

Industrias Ilja .410, via Davidsons:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted: Where do you figure the cut-off is for "Not so Best"? I have a late 90s New England Arms lefty Arietta 557 in 12 that has been used fairly hard and even dropped once or twice (by me)! Live and learn. I wish it was an 800 series gun so it could better reflect my now, more-evolved tastes, but it fits me so well.... I could never part with it. I'm guessing retail value these days would be well under $3K.

Lloyd,
You're asking the wrong guy. I couldn't pick out grades of Spanish guns if I had a gun to my head.
I will say this-right after the A and D boxlock came into being, there were English firms that finished them up as "Bests".
I'm guessing that era only lasted 10-20 years. Dig would know. People, both buyers and makers figured out it didn't take that much to get a boxlock out the door, compared to a sidelock, and people weren't going to pay best prices for them.
I doubt the Spanish ever went through that same thing. A boxlock is always a shooter, and a sidelock is a bit more.
The boxlock Falcons, like mine and Keith's, came with features that were specified by American Imports, circa 1972, and those features read like a wish list for someone who doesn't want to concern themselves with what ammunition they use today-3" chamber and proof, well fitted hidden third fastener, in addition to double under bolts, disc set strikers, brazed barrels, and a file cut rib. I got 28" tubes on mine, but, I could have dealt with 26" if I had to. I've heard reports that a brazed barrel is the way to go on a beater you feed hot or hard shot loads, but, I'll leave final analysis of that to the people who sell my R10 and my Uggy, after I am dead. I intend to use the hell out of them, both
There is a juncture, if you will, somewhere between where the chokes have been opened up to make steel usable in it, and my lack of concern because I don't have enough time or opportunity to destroy the Uggy with steel, or, just don't care if I do.
I guess I consider it a shooter for the times.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought this Uggie (model unknown) off someone on the shotgun world forum and it was a mess. The top lever spring was missing, and a coil spring was placed over the automatic safety rod to push the bolt back into battery. One hammer spring was missing, and was replaced with what looked like it could have been the wayward toplever spring. It had been left to rust and then the whole rotting pile had been painted with gunkote, which is glorified Rustoleum.
I did all that I could, and it made a trip to Cole Haugh to finish up what I couldn't figure out, and my son has been shooting the crap out of it ever since. I don't worry about him dropping it that is for sure. If it had been a nice gun to start with I wouldn't have been able to bring myself to cut several inches off both ends either.
He should outgrow it just about the time my daughter is ready for it, and when she is done with it I am sure it will "find" another kid that needs it.
CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 03/24/15 12:40 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hoof,
I might have to look you up-I have an 8 year old. What gauge is it?

I have a model 17 with a short LOP, but, it isn't short enough for a kid, not a kid younger than about 14, anyway. I wonder what I will start him with.
How old was your boy when you started him with that?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ was 9 when he started shooting this gun, but he is large for his age. I am figuring that my daughter will be slightly older before she can handle it. It is a 12 gauge.
I tried several different youth guns with him and this is what worked best. The 12 gauge gun weighs more than most 20's which helped mitigate recoil. I have it cut to 25" barrels and a 12" LOP. I like a break open gun because at a glance I can tell the gun is open and "safe." We hunt over a pointer so for the first year we even carried our guns open in the field until passing the dog for a flush.
It was also (in my experience) much easier to get low recoil/low pressure shells for the 12 gauge than for a 20 gauge. All the low pressure pet loads and RST offerings for shooting aging guns are perfect low recoil shells for a kid.
CHAZ

This is CJ putting "Winston" to work at Hausmanns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one of mine. It's 1959 Gaspar Arizaga with a straight stock. It's choked imp/cyl-mod so it's a nice one for over my dog.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a couple of Spanish "not so best guns". The top is a 12 gauge Loyola from 1966. The bottom gun is an El Faisan 20 gauge ejector gun from 1964. I use them for upland the odd time. Well, not so much the 20 gauge. It is quite a petite gun but it only has a 12 1/4" LOP. I thought about adding a removable spacer at the pad but haven't done it yet as I have let a few youth shoot it out at the cabin. It's great for a "youngin" or a lady with shorter arms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip --
You're asking the wrong guy. I couldn't pick out grades of Spanish guns if I had a gun to my head.
I will say this-right after the A and D boxlock came into being, there were English firms that finished them up as "Bests".
I'm guessing that era only lasted 10-20 years. Dig would know. People, both buyers and makers figured out it didn't take that much to get a boxlock out the door, compared to a sidelock, and people weren't going to pay best prices for them.
I doubt the Spanish ever went through that same thing. A boxlock is always a shooter, and a sidelock is a bit more.
--- snip ---

The Spanish gun makers have a long history of producing very fine, and very expensive, box lock shotguns. The only two makers I know of that still catalog a box lock are AyA and Ugartechea, and only AyA catalogs a truly top end box lock in the XXV-BL:

Back before the great crisis the gun makers went through in the 1980s just about all the makers offered top end box lock guns, with full coverage engraving, including medium and deep relief engraving. Garbi, Grulla, Francisco Sarriugarte, Joaqun Fernndez, Eduardo Schilling, et. al. offered box lock guns that that ran from impressive to just stunning.

Here is a Ugartechea from the 1950s:

Francisco Sarriugarte, ornate engraving with gold inlay:

Ive seen Spanish box lock guns with extensive damascene engraving, deep relief game scenes, even inlay done in platinum. These guns are rare, just as top end side lock guns are rare, and for the same reason; not many could afford to have one made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie: Have you ever seen the AyA Bournebrook?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my Uggie boxlock.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie: Have you ever seen the AyA Bournebrook?

Yep! Pretty gun, no?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61,

Striking gun - thanks for sharing!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,
I over simplified a bit in my analysis I suppose, and I'm sorry about that. My point was that when the A and D boxlock came along in England, it took a bit for the market to sort out which would be the best. To that end, gunmakers did indeed finish boxlocks to the same level as sidelocks, and a few, priced their boxlocks actually higher than their sidelock guns-Greener, for example, with the Facile Princepts.
I'll let others debate what makes either design "best" but, one can find English boxlocks from the era I am speaking of that have chopper lump barrels, dropper points in the stock, church windows, a scalloped action back, and intercepting sears. The engraving and finish would have been equal or superior to the same companies sidelock model.
It seems to me that by the time the A and D patents had expired, and the Spanish invoked the sincerest form of flattery, the market in England had decided which version was the best, and would thus be the most expensive gun they produced, or, the only design they would produce.
And the Spanish took those lessons, and ran.
Now, a question, if I may?
Was there ever a time when a boxlock was AYAs, or some other gun makers, most expensive gun to buy in Spain? That did happen in England. Was there ever a Spanish boxlock that included all the features I named above, and sold for more money than the companies top of the line sidelock, to the best of your knowledge?

Best,
Ted

PS Not to be too critical, but, the gold inlays on the gun you posted are not to my liking, not to mention whatever is going on with the floorplate not fitting up. Gamescene is a difficult task master, and few humans have ever mastered that art form. Just my opinion.
I do like Winston Churchill's inlay work. I won't be buying any of it, any time soon, however.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

I think we may have several sub-threads emerging here :-)

Kyrie,
I over simplified a bit in my analysis I suppose, and I'm sorry about that. My point was that when the A and D boxlock came along in England, it took a bit for the market to sort out which would be the best. To that end, gunmakers did indeed finish boxlocks to the same level as sidelocks, and a few, priced their boxlocks actually higher than their sidelock guns-Greener, for example, with the Facile Princepts.
I'll let others debate what makes either design "best" but, one can find English boxlocks from the era I am speaking of that have chopper lump barrels, dropper points in the stock, church windows, a scalloped action back, and intercepting sears. The engraving and finish would have been equal or superior to the same companies sidelock model.

In terms of producing box lock guns with engraving/finish equal to that on the same companys side lock guns, the Spanish went down that same road. Looking back on the catalogs from the first half of the twentieth century many makers offered side lock and box lock guns with the same engraving pattern on each type of gun, modified as needed to fit the smaller engraving area of the box lock.

--- snip ---
Now, a question, if I may?
Was there ever a time when a boxlock was AYAs, or some other gun makers, most expensive gun to buy in Spain? That did happen in England. Was there ever a Spanish boxlock that included all the features I named above, and sold for more money than the companies top of the line sidelock, to the best of your knowledge?

I dont think the question can be answered as asked. Going back into the 1920s to about the 1950s, I could walk into any gun maker that offered both box lock guns and side lock guns, order a base model box lock, and add enough options to make that base model box lock more expensive than the top side lock, as cataloged.

(Aside: Hmmm I could probably do that today at, say, AyA by ordering a 28 gauge N 4/53 with a really elaborate engraving pattern from the 1950s, extra barrels in .410 and 32 gauge, and adding a H&H assisted opener.)

In terms of the type of barrels, Id have been offered a choice that included chopper lump, monoblock, and a possible a few other options. Secondary sears were pretty much standard but could be omitted on request. Action shape (straight, scalloped in any of several styles) was to customer choice. I dont know what dropper points or church windows are.

Have I misunderstood the question?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an auction for an AyA No. 2:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473115624

The No. 2 is the affordable version of the No. 1. A part of what makes the No. 2 affordable is the engraving isnt hand cut its either roll marked (i.e. stamped) or etched into the metal via laser. The gun above has the lock engraving stamped into the metal via roll marking. Take a close look at the engraving around the cocking indicators and notice its off center.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,
If you walked into Greener's prior to the turn of the last century, and asked what his top model was, it was a boxlock. Some years later, that particular model of boxlock was gone, and the top model was a sidelock. He would, at that later time, build you a straight A&D boxlock, that cost less money than either the sidelock, or the Facile Princeps boxlock.
What I am asking is, was that ever the case in Spain? Was there a company that had, as it's most expensive model, a boxlock over the same companys sidelock?
Options don't really enter the picture. Neither does a base model boxlock, as that isn't what we are after. A few of the English makers believed the boxlock was the next, best thing, and built them as their top of the line gun for some time. Then, that time ended, (except, maybe, at Westley Richards) and the sidelock was the top dog, again.

Oh, the #2 you linked to has drop points in the stock-they are those stylish teardrop shaped carvings to the wood behind the lock plate. Good, English boxlocks from the era I'm alluding to do as well. Church windows refer to checkering that is in the area where the wood meets the back of the action on a boxlock. Very high grade American boxlocks will be seen with this treatment on occasion (think higher grade Parkers and Foxes) as will best work English boxlocks. I think it looks best with a sculpted action back. A very well fitted sculpted action back, by the way. I've never seen a Spanish boxlock with the pins installed for intercepting sears, but, the English did that on their best boxlocks.

What say ye, Kyrie?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,
If you walked into Greener's prior to the turn of the last century, and asked what his top model was, it was a boxlock. Some years later, that particular model of boxlock was gone, and the top model was a sidelock. He would, at that later time, build you a straight A&D boxlock, that cost less money than either the sidelock, or the Facile Princeps boxlock.
What I am asking is, was that ever the case in Spain? Was there a company that had, as it's most expensive model, a boxlock over the same companys sidelock?

I dont know that the question can be answered as asked. Spanish gun makers didnt produce just a single box lock and a single side lock. They produced (and still produce) a range of side lock guns. Back in the day when the makers all produced box lock guns too, they produced a range of box locks.

In those cases when a maker made a box lock and a side lock version of the same gun, the side lock always had a higher cost to make and consequently a higher price point at sale. That was just a function of the side lock having more space that had to be engraved.

If we want to get into an apples and oranges comparison, it was not unusual for a makers most ornate box lock to cost more to produce and sell at a higher price than the makers most basic side lock. And his most ornate side lock was always more expensive than his most basic box lock.

I know very little about the English gun trade and its business models, but based on the sense of how it worked Im getting from your questions, Id have to say the Spanish makers went about things very differently.

If you asked a Spanish gun maker what his top model was he would not know what you meant. He might open a catalog and point to the model that sells the most guns in a year, or to the model with the top price point, or just ask you top model for what? Spanish shotguns are purpose built, and the "top model" for live pigeon would be different from the "top model" for driven birds, which would be different from the "top model" for fur and feather hunting.

--- snip ---
Oh, the #2 you linked to has drop points in the stock-they are those stylish teardrop shaped carvings to the wood behind the lock plate. Good, English boxlocks from the era I'm alluding to do as well.

Ah! Thats what you meant. Drop points I know, it was your reference to dropping points that lost me. The Spanish gun makers view drop points as an affectation almost as bad as gold plated lock parts. They will happily put drop points to a stocks if thats what a customer wants, but they arent happy with it or impressed by that customer.

Church windows refer to checkering that is in the area where the wood meets the back of the action on a boxlock.

Ah, so that what those things are called.

Very high grade American boxlocks will be seen with this treatment on occasion (think higher grade Parkers and Foxes) as will best work English boxlocks. I think it looks best with a sculpted action back. A very well fitted sculpted action back, by the way.

Again, the Spanish view diverges. Its rare to find Church windows on a Spanish box lock; they are thought to be decidedly lower class. I think the only Spanish box locks Ive seen with church windows were some inexpensive Zabala Hermanos guns brought into the States just before Zabala closed, and an Armas Erbi hardware store gun made back in the 1960s.

I've never seen a Spanish boxlock with the pins installed for intercepting sears, but, the English did that on their best boxlocks.

Im not a box lock person and cannot comment from my own knowledge. That said, the guys I know who are Spanish box lock mad tell me secondary sears are more common than not on their box locks.

Best,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found one of the ZH guns with church windows:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BSA-Cla...un_id=100527115

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is something about border-less checkering that doesn't look right on a sxs. Or, maybe I'm just getting old.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kyrie,
Thanks.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Spanish not so best is a 12 Ga. Laurona SxS retailed by Sear & Roebuck, and is a spitting image of the Winchester Model 22 Laurona made, except it has hand cut basket weave style checkering. It has the "Black Chrome" finish like the Model 22, even.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonder whether Winchester collectors are hot after those 22's. Not many of them made.

I had a Laurona OU that had the "twin single" trigger system, like the early Superposeds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip --
--- snip ---

The Spanish gun makers have a long history of producing very fine, and very expensive, box lock shotguns. The only two makers I know of that still catalog a box lock are AyA and Ugartechea, and only AyA catalogs a truly top end box lock in the XXV-BL:

Back before the great crisis the gun makers went through in the 1980s just about all the makers offered top end box lock guns, with full coverage engraving, including medium and deep relief engraving. Garbi, Grulla, Francisco Sarriugarte, Joaqun Fernndez, Eduardo Schilling, et. al. offered box lock guns that that ran from impressive to just stunning.

Here is a Ugartechea from the 1950s:

Francisco Sarriugarte, ornate engraving with gold inlay:

Ive seen Spanish box lock guns with extensive damascene engraving, deep relief game scenes, even inlay done in platinum. These guns are rare, just as top end side lock guns are rare, and for the same reason; not many could afford to have one made.

Kyrie, your first photo looks like a 4 Deluxe, except the receivers on those have a fancy back rather than straight back. It's my understanding that the XXV-BL is essentially a 4 Deluxe with 25" barrels and Churchill rib, and I've seen some of those. But they all had the fancy back receiver (scalloped). Engraving certainly looks the same as a 4 Deluxe.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another view for Redoak, with the tool (nicer wood on the tool, than the gun!) the spare strikers, and the pins that go in the tool. I really like disc set strikers on a boxlock. More than once, I've witnessed guns with integral striker/tumblers fail, and it is an expensive and lengthy repair. Both guns were out for the season.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two of those Laurona O/U's with the double single triggers. One of them is a two barrel, two gauge set.
I think they are VERY underrated. Just like many of the Spanish names I believe there are good ones and bad ones, you just need to know which is which to pick a winner.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I had a Laurona OU that had the "twin single" trigger system, like the early Superposeds.

Maybe I'm being a little dense today but what is a twin single trigger?

Ithaca1

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, your first photo looks like a 4 Deluxe, except the receivers on those have a fancy back rather than straight back. It's my understanding that the XXV-BL is essentially a 4 Deluxe with 25" barrels and Churchill rib, and I've seen some of those. But they all had the fancy back receiver (scalloped). Engraving certainly looks the same as a 4 Deluxe.

Sorry, but no.

The XXV-BL action is based on that of the discontinued model Iberia II. The Iberia has come and gone under one name or another since the 1960s, and when the new AyA was formed after the DIARM years it reappeared as the Yeoman. At this point in time the only gun that AyA catalogs that uses the old Iberia action appears to be the XXV-BL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure what Kyrie is talking about with XXV being a different action than the #4 Deluxe but all of the boxlocks currently built by AYA are the same mechanically speaking. The actions are, however, shaped and engraved differently.

#4 or 4/53. Simple scroll engraving with straight back action.

#4/53 Classic (from Cabelas) or 4/25 (from New England Custom Arms). Same straight back action as standard #4 but engraved with full coverage scroll (more continental style).

#4 XXV. Notice the same engraving as the 4/53. But with short barrels and Churchill rib.

AYA #4 Deluxe has a scalloped action with beaded fences and is engraved with more English style scroll.

#4 Round Action (available in US as the "Bournebrook"). Similar style engraving as 4/53, XXV, and 4/53 but is fully hand-engraved and over a rounded body.

#4 Ovis Uplander. Again same engraving as 4/53 and XXV but with same action shape as the deluxe (with a scalloped action and beaded fences).

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
Thanks for the nice overview.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know, AyA uses the same A&D action for all their BL guns. Just different engraving and shaping as Adam said.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam is correct that all of the box lock guns built by todays AYA, today, use the same action.

That said the XXV-BL, as created and produced by the original AyA, was based on the model Iberia. This is a XXV-BL from 1968:

Here is a catalog entry for the Iberia:

Thats the genesis of the XXV-BL.

The post DIARM AyA is a much smaller and much simpler operation than the original AyA. They are unable to offer the different actions that were available from the original AyA and that why were now seeing the same action on all the box locks.
[i][/i]

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, but no.

The XXV-BL action is based on that of the discontinued model Iberia II. The Iberia has come and gone under one name or another since the 1960s, and when the new AyA was formed after the DIARM years it reappeared as the Yeoman. At this point in time the only gun that AyA catalogs that uses the old Iberia action appears to be the XXV-BL.

So is the XXV BLE based on the "old Iberia" action as you stated above or not? Later you agreed with Adam that today's AyA BL actions are the same. Which of your statements is correct?

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe I'm being a little dense today but what is a twin single trigger?

Ithaca1

Two triggers, but, the front trigger will fire the right barrel first, and then the second. It is kind of a neat setup. I'm not sure how many makers offered it, but, for sure, the Laronas, Browning Superposed (early in the game) and, R model Darnes.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
The rear trigger still fires the left barrel if pulled first? The front acts like a non selective single trigger?

Ithaca1

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that the double single trigger is the best of both worlds.

The front triggers fires the right (or bottom) barrel first, but functions as a single trigger also, second pull fires the second barrel. Rear trigger fires the left barrel (or top barrel) first but also functions as a single trigger and on the second pull fires the other barrel. The triggers on my gun are set by recoil.

Other than doubling during the "WD40 as gun cleaner" era (quick soak in gas fixed that) the triggers on my gun have never given me any problem. When I had the action on one of the guns reblacked I (and the smith) assumed it would be intricate, but he said they were very easy to work with.

CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 03/28/15 11:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, but no.

You say you agree but this post suggest otherwise. Seems to me like you're talking in present term here. So you're suggesting the XXV is a different action from the rest of the boxlocks still today?

Besides, they are the still the same basic design... One has pins and one has screws... But both are Anson & Deeley type box locks.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,

You are correct. I was obviously not clear in my own mind whether I was referring to the origin of the XXV-BL or the XXV-BL as it is built today, and that lack of clarity is embarrassing present in what I wrote.

So, lets try this again.

The action used in the AyA XXV-BL when it was first brought to market was the Iberia. The old, and now defunct, AyA appears to have continued to use the Iberia type of action in the XXV-BL shotguns they made.

The present day AyA no longer uses the Iberia action for the XXV-BL, and at present time uses the same action in all the box lock guns they produce.

That give you any heartburn?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two triggers, but, the front trigger will fire the right barrel first, and then the second. It is kind of a neat setup. I'm not sure how many makers offered it, but, for sure, the Laronas, Browning Superposed (early in the game) and, R model Darnes.

Best,
Ted

Thanks for the explanation, I was a little lost too.

I can say from experience that at least some of the Czech Brno shotguns used a similar system. I had one of these:

and found the rear trigger would act as a single non-selective trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, as far as the "twin single trigger". AyA made a copy (or at least very similar) of the Winchester 21 at one time for Sears, sold under the "J C Higgins" label. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head. (Model 100?) I know someone who has one. Does anyone know if they had that trigger? They're having doubling issues, I'm wondering if it's due to the "WD-40" issue. I can't remember if their gun has one or two triggers.

After a little research, it appears the gun has a single trigger, so the twin single trigger wouldn't apply. Anyone have any insights about the doubling issue?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 03/29/15 08:35 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If one is looking for good quality older Spanish knockabout double BL or BLE I would suggest maker Aguirre & Aranzabal. It is easy to pick a good one just be examining metal to metal, wood to metal fit and quality of checkering. There are the best pics for newbies into inexpensive older vintage Spanish gun market. My sample gun was one that came from Marlin R&D department and was originally imported by company from Washington DC. It was SNST sporting gun of abut 7.5lb weight. It was unusual in that one could pull trigger with gun disassembled and put it back together with ease not worrying about re-cocking the hammers. I should not have sold that gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
The front triggers fires the right (or bottom) barrel first, but functions as a single trigger also, second pull fires the second barrel. Rear trigger fires the left barrel (or top barrel) first but also functions as a single trigger and on the second pull fires the other barrel. The triggers on my gun are set by recoil.

Very cool.
I was explaining to my business partner what a release trigger was a couple of months ago. Can't wait to tell him about this one.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

If one wants ugly yet hellishly strong firearm Czech, Hungarian, Russian and Yugoslavian double are a good way to go. I call them Warthogs. I should mention Soviets also made very fine SLE based on Beesley patterned "self-opening" action.

This being Spanish topic I have a dream of on e day owning fine Ignacio Ugartechea SLE "self-opener" based on Fredies action with Bohler steel barrels. I determined that if I ever buy another shotgun it will be something truly to behold. No more 'nice gun for the money' stuff. I want the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re Kyrie's reference to "the old AyA": They did indeed do some neat and different stuff. Undoubtedly the most unique AyA I ever owned was a 16ga marked AyA-Sauer. (AyA must have cut some sort of deal with Sauer to make those guns.) Looked for all the world like a high grade Sauer boxlock. Scalloped receiver, cocking indicators (on the sides rather than the "snail's ears" on top), a lot of engraving. DT/PG/cheekpiece/sling swivels. Slight Schnabel to the forend. Looked to me as if it was made for the German market with those features.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Interesting, as far as the "twin single trigger". AyA made a copy (or at least very similar) of the Winchester 21 at one time for Sears, sold under the "J C Higgins" label. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head. (Model 100?) I know someone who has one. Does anyone know if they had that trigger? They're having doubling issues, I'm wondering if it's due to the "WD-40" issue. I can't remember if their gun has one or two triggers.

After a little research, it appears the gun has a single trigger, so the twin single trigger wouldn't apply. Anyone have any insights about the doubling issue?

Regards
Ken

I don't believe they were so much copies but rather they were built to compete directly with the 21. I think they even placed them side by side in some of the old mail ordee catalogs. You got the model right... JC Higgins 100. They had beavertail forends, pistol grips, and non selective single triggers. Nice guns.... Nothing fancy but great quality. I miss mine. And I missed out on a nice 20ga model recently. I called just a few minutes after it sold.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
If one wants ugly yet hellishly strong firearm Czech, Hungarian, Russian and Yugoslavian double are a good way to go. I call them Warthogs. I should mention Soviets also made very fine SLE based on Beesley patterned "self-opening" action.

This being Spanish topic I have a dream of on e day owning fine Ignacio Ugartechea SLE "self-opener" based on Fredies action with Bohler steel barrels. I determined that if I ever buy another shotgun it will be something truly to behold. No more 'nice gun for the money' stuff. I want the best.

Another "Sleeper" is Zastava, as far as field-grade A&D boxlocks. In now what is Serbia. Zastava was set up by a group of German investors, as I understand FN was. The few I've handled were very well made, and reminded me of typical German field-grade guns. There's more of them popping up now. Aesthetically, they look and feel better than the other Eastern-European types.

Last edited by Ken61; 03/29/15 09:22 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Best,
Ted

Thanks for the explanation, I was a little lost too.

I can say from experience that at least some of the Czech Brno shotguns used a similar system. I had one of these:

and found the rear trigger would act as a single non-selective trigger.

Kyrie,
If I had owned that gun, I wouldn't have put pictures up for everyone to see! Was it Lenin who said "Best, is the enemy of good enough"? That thing takes good enough to a whole different level.
Much like riding a moped or a really fat woman, it could be fun to try, but, don't let your friends catch you doing it.
Your tastes, have evolved very nicely. On the subject of shotguns, anyway.
Bravo.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,
If I had owned that gun, I wouldn't have put pictures up for everyone to see!

It's funny you should say that; I bought the purely because it was the most ugly gun I'd ever seen.

It was also a cantankerous gun. The front trigger, and sometimes the rear trigger, would fire both barrels at once. It took two trips to the gun smith to fix that problem. It's amazing what two ounces of shot will do to a clay. The trapper just looked at the floating cloud of dust and said, "We won't bother to cook that one. We'll just spread it on toast."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61

Another "Sleeper" is Zastava, as far as field-grade A&D boxlocks. In now what is Serbia. Zastava was set up by a group of German investors, as I understand FN was. The few I've handled were very well made, and reminded me of typical German field-grade guns. There's more of them popping up now. Aesthetically, they look and feel better than the other Eastern-European types.

I had one of those in 16 gauge. Talk about a tank. The steel was a vanadium alloy and just tough beyond description. The 16 gauge I bought had insufficient headspace for SAAMI shells and getting a tiny increase to SAAMI minimum had my gun smith swearing and sweating.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An AYA 400E from the early 60s. I picked it up with lots of provenance from a retired man of the cloth who served on the estates of Lord Amherst in northeast England. It may not be a best gun but the stories the old man related were among the best - faith old labs, tough shots, invitations to formal shoots. Shoots at which literally hundreds of hare were taken off the estate so bird populations could flourish.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I doubt the hare could tell it wasn't a best gun. I had my English sidelock experience, and it soured me on the guns. There is much to be said for the generic A & D patent boxlock, it goes a long way toward frustrating Murphy's law.
There is also much to be said for a gun that doesn't go to the 'smith until it breaks, as opposed to one that goes in every year for service.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, the Brits look at guns the same way we look at vehicles: preventive maintenance. You can also run a car until it breaks, but you're likely to get more miles out of it through regular service. The wealthy class were also putting a lot of rounds through their guns on those driven shoots. Shells that we wouldn't consider all that heavy, but considering the relatively light weight of English game guns, there's likely to be some wear and tear. (Those loads are "hotter" in terms of shot charge and velocity relative to gun weight than are the ones target shooters run through guns weighing a couple pounds more.) The standard Brit game gun, prior to the change in the proof laws in 1954, was a 2 1/2" 12 bore weighing around 6 1/2#, give or take a little, with a designated service load of 1 1/8 oz. Not unlike the loads used by trap shooters . . . but their guns weigh around 25% more than that.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/30/15 08:45 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The sidelock has much more in the way of moving parts, Larry, and needs more maintenance. I'd bet those "keeper's guns" we see from time to time didn't get that maintenance, either. A lot of still functioning boxlocks in that catagory.
I got a sidelock that was just worn out. And, I still see lots of them, in that same condition, on websites and in dealers rack's, today.
I guess if I had been a newly minted English officer, in the India Corps, circa 1906 or so, I know which design I would have picked for that duty.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The sidelocks, and for that matter boxlock pairs (obviously made for driven shooting) often got much heavier use, in terms of rounds fired, than a keeper's gun. Not at all unusual to go through 100+ shells in a day on a 250-300 bird driven day. And back when Ripon was shooting, a lot of the driven days were bigger than that. So one heck of a lot of shooting over the course of the season, for those who were serious about it. That's why the preventive maintenance was a particularly good idea. You might not need to change your oil if you only drive your car 5,000 miles in a year. Probably a good idea if you drive it 50,000 miles a year.

But if the preventive maintenance wasn't done . . . easy to see how one can run across a worn-out gun, if it was used for volume shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive been following this thread concerning the necessity of yearly preventative maintenance for (presumably English) side lock guns with interest and some incredulity.

Spaniards rarely even clean the bores of their guns once a year, much less take them back to the maker for a yearly PM. The guns get used and put up, used and put up, until the original owner is too old for the field at which point they are handed down to the next generation. Eventually someone breaks a firing pin and has it replaced, or a hinge pin becomes sufficiently worn that it needs to be turned, but PM just isnt in the picture. Guns can go forty or fifty years and never have the side plates removed.

Ive seen any number of discussions of English shotguns in the forums of Spanish hunters/shooters, and the beauty of the top end English is highly praised, but their lack of durability is spoken of with a kind of sorrow. Id always taken the former at face value and doubted the latter. The English hunters/shooters Ive corresponded with over the years have not mentioned any great need for maintenance of their guns (English or otherwise) or of a short service life without such maintenance. But this thread has made me wonder if lack of durability of English shotguns spoken of in the forums of Spain should be given some credence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So Kyrie, should we all trade in our delicate and such needy English guns for the more durable Spanish guns then? I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say?

Socialism is almost the worst.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
So Kyrie, should we all trade in our delicate and such needy English guns for the more durable Spanish guns then? I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say?

Buzz,

I'm more asking a question than I am making a statement.

I'd never thought English guns to be any less durable than Spanish guns. But the impression I'm getting from Larry and Ted's exchange is that English guns need at least yearly maintenance to stay functional. That seems just passing strange to me and I'm asking, as politely as I can, if that's really the impression Larry and Ted wanted to give.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They don't need any more maintenance than any other gun. England is very rainy and their guns were exposed to gobs of moisture. They had them go in for yearly maintenance for that reason and primers were very corrosive. I'm pretty sure something along those lines is what Mr. Brown was referring to. I'm pretty sure that Spanish guns (which for the most part are copies of what the English produced) wouldn't fare any better in the same environmental conditions.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vintage British shotguns are just as durable as any other gun made in the past as well as the present. I have several Brit guns that are well over 100 years old and they are still going strong. Both SL and BL. In fact they even look much younger than there age. This is due IMO of the preventive maintenance that the original and subsequent owners gave these guns. Also, the makers of these guns built these guns to last. Not just for the original owners but for generations. In this they succeeded in splendid fashion. Of course, there are some guns out there that are not taken care of, and these are the ones that fail, just like anything mechanical, parts do break. Re-read Col Browns post, he knows what he's talking about. Buzz also makes some great comments, all true.

If you don't take care of your guns, your the fool, NOT the maker. Instead of pointing fingers at a maker or country of origin, point them at the user.

As a side note on how the Spanish take care of their weapons, the German liaison staff to the Blue Division that fought with the Germans in Russia, were appalled on how the Spanish troops took care of their equipment. Not cleaning individual or crew served weapons was common place.

I would like to hear what our friends across the pond have to say on this subject.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Greg, I don't know how much better the Spanish troops performed, 20 years after the Rif War in Morocco--when they got their butts kicked severely by a bunch of mountain tribesmen. (Much like the Russkies in Afghanistan, except the Rifis didn't have the CIA shipping them modern weapons. Most of what they used, they captured from the Spanish.) Those Spanish soldiers were so poorly paid and poorly led--apparently their officers ripped off their pay--that they sold bullets to get by. Bad choice for them, because the Rifis were happy to acquire more bullets to use in the Spanish Mausers they captured.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They don't need any more maintenance than any other gun. England is very rainy and their guns were exposed to gobs of moisture. They had them go in for yearly maintenance for that reason and primers were very corrosive. I'm pretty sure something along those lines is what Mr. Brown was referring to. I'm pretty sure that Spanish guns (which for the most part are copies of what the English produced) wouldn't fare any better in the same environmental conditions.

I understand what youre saying, but neither Ted nor Larry mentioned weather they wrote only of what amounts to normal use causing a requirement for maintenance. Truth be told, a wet climate and/or corrosive primers only require immediate cleaning and proper storage. A yearly trip back to the maker isnt going to help a gun used with corrosive primed ammo and put up wet.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Greg, I don't know how much better the Spanish troops performed, 20 years after the Rif War in Morocco--when they got their butts kicked severely by a bunch of mountain tribesmen. (Much like the Russkies in Afghanistan, except the Rifis didn't have the CIA shipping them modern weapons. Most of what they used, they captured from the Spanish.) Those Spanish soldiers were so poorly paid and poorly led--apparently their officers ripped off their pay--that they sold bullets to get by. Bad choice for them, because the Rifis were happy to acquire more bullets to use in the Spanish Mausers they captured.

Hey Col, in fact they fought very well. Most were vets of the Civil War and also volunteers, they had a hatred of the soviets that made them excellent fighters. They fought quite well, but the Germans complained about their lack of discipline behind the line or when things were "slow", but they admired them in both the offense and defense. The first Commander Gen Agustn Muoz Grandes, was awarded the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross with Oakleaves (a very high decoration) for the actions of the men in the Blue Division. The soviets also respected them as fine fighters.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, The corrosive primers over time tended to corrode the barrels. From what I've read, during this yearly maintenance barrels were sometimes freshened up, or honed out a bit. This is how we figured out that larger bores actually tend to produce better patterns. Plus, wealthy people back then wanted to make sure their guns would work flawlessly and were ready for the next season. High performance, high maintenance was the sentiment. I doubt if Englishmen take their guns in for yearly maintenance in this day and age. Maybe they will pipe in and let us know? Best, Buzz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz,

I'd never thought English guns to be any less durable than Spanish guns. But the impression I'm getting from Larry and Ted's exchange is that English guns need at least yearly maintenance to stay functional. That seems just passing strange to me and I'm asking, as politely as I can, if that's really the impression Larry and Ted wanted to give.

Kyrie, the guns built for driven shooting--basically sidelock (but also boxlock) pairs--got used hard in England. I know the Spanish have driven shooting as well, but I'm not sure that it's on the scale it was in England, during the late 19th/early 20th century in particular. The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) waited a LONG time to ascend to the throne (much like Prince Charles today--in both cases waiting for old ladies to die). While in waiting, his two primary interests were driven shooting and chasing women. The titled and wealthy class wanted nothing more than to be able to entertain him in style, whether it involved women or birds. Consequently, the "in" thing to do was to offer driven shooting, attend someone else's driven shoot, etc etc. Some of the "big shots", like Ripon, did little else during bird season--and amassed enormous totals in their game books. Their guns were cleaned regularly by the gamekeepers and their underlings. But when the season was over, back they went to Purdey's or H&H or Boss or whomever, for a "tuneup" and more detailed maintenance. (On the driven shoots I've participated in, one of the perks is that the gamekeeper cleans my gun every day--and does a nice job of it). They did that because they had the money, and they thought it was the proper thing to do. And because the famous makers liked to be able to say that they had the Duke of such and such, or earl, or viscount or whatever, as one of their customers. Good advertising! I have no idea how necessary it was, given that all those great estates had platoons of servants, some of whom took care of the game and the guns. But that's what they did. And as mentioned, it is a pretty wet climate. Thus a good idea to make sure things don't rust. Especially things as valuable as a pair of British bests--after which, of course, the Spanish patterned their own side by sides.

Americans tend to complain about finding an older Brit gun in truly "original" condition. Because the stock may have been redone, checkering recut, barrels reblacked, etc. Well, in contrast, American "bests"--meaning the very top grades produced by Parker, LC Smith, Fox, Ithaca, Lefever, etc--in general, didn't get used that hard. It was the very basic, entry level guns that tended to see hard use. Thus, in terms of %, you're going to find more high grade Parkers in really nice original shape than you are Trojans or V's. That's because the owners of the really nice ones, for the most part, weren't engaging in the kind of volume shooting done with driven bird guns. And they (or perhaps their employees, although less likely than with the Brits) took good care of those guns. And would also send them back to the factory if the gun needed some work.l The Trojans and V's, in contrast, might have belonged to someone shooting birds for the market. Or to a farmer who considered the gun a tool, and only gave it very basic maintenance. Often rode hard and put away wet--and expected to keep working in spite of that. And they usually did. But they also usually show a lot of wear, tear, and just plain neglect. And if something broke, it likely got fixed by the local shade tree gunsmith.

That's the difference, as best I can explain it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Greg, I don't know how much better the Spanish troops performed, 20 years after the Rif War in Morocco--when they got their butts kicked severely by a bunch of mountain tribesmen.
--- snip ---

Lets not forget the British had their heads handed to them by the Afghans (bunch of mountain tribesmen) and by the Boers (bunch of Dutch farmers).

Anyone want to talk about Viet Nam?

There is more than enough defeat in history to go around.

Lets get back to the subject at hand.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances in GB that hunt/shoot, and have never heard from them that their guns need the level of maintenance Larry and Ted have discussed. While I am disinterested in English shotguns, I have, and have had, a number of British rifles (I have an 1890 Martini, with bayonet, that was used in both the first and second Boer war over the fireplace) and pistols and have not found any to be delicate.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back to the subject at hand. After a shoot the guns were cleaned, not by the owners, but by the owners man servant or hired person. The owners were far to wealthy to do it themselves and it was "not their job" so to speak. The annual cleaning was just that. The internal parts were cleaned and lubed, wood refinished if required and any worn parts replaced (NOT from that season or shoot, but from wear and tear over the years). Driven shoots are just that, shoots, not taking a walk and knocking down a bird or two. As Col Brown has stated, were talking high volume shooting, there is a difference on how that will effect ANY gun.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz,

Kyrie, the guns built for driven shooting--basically sidelock (but also boxlock) pairs--got used hard in England. I know the Spanish have driven shooting as well, but I'm not sure that it's on the scale it was in England, during the late 19th/early 20th century in particular. The Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) waited a LONG time to ascend to the throne (much like Prince Charles today--in both cases waiting for old ladies to die). While in waiting, his two primary interests were driven shooting and chasing women. The titled and wealthy class wanted nothing more than to be able to entertain him in style, whether it involved women or birds. Consequently, the "in" thing to do was to offer driven shooting, attend someone else's driven shoot, etc etc. Some of the "big shots", like Ripon, did little else during bird season--and amassed enormous totals in their game books. Their guns were cleaned regularly by the gamekeepers and their underlings. But when the season was over, back they went to Purdey's or H&H or Boss or whomever, for a "tuneup" and more detailed maintenance. (On the driven shoots I've participated in, one of the perks is that the gamekeeper cleans my gun every day--and does a nice job of it). They did that because they had the money, and they thought it was the proper thing to do. And because the famous makers liked to be able to say that they had the Duke of such and such, or earl, or viscount or whatever, as one of their customers. Good advertising! I have no idea how necessary it was, given that all those great estates had platoons of servants, some of whom took care of the game and the guns. But that's what they did. And as mentioned, it is a pretty wet climate. Thus a good idea to make sure things don't rust. Especially things as valuable as a pair of British bests--after which, of course, the Spanish patterned their own side by sides.

Americans tend to complain about finding an older Brit gun in truly "original" condition. Because the stock may have been redone, checkering recut, barrels reblacked, etc. Well, in contrast, American "bests"--meaning the very top grades produced by Parker, LC Smith, Fox, Ithaca, Lefever, etc--in general, didn't get used that hard. It was the very basic, entry level guns that tended to see hard use. Thus, in terms of %, you're going to find more high grade Parkers in really nice original shape than you are Trojans or V's. That's because the owners of the really nice ones, for the most part, weren't engaging in the kind of volume shooting done with driven bird guns. And they (or perhaps their employees, although less likely than with the Brits) took good care of those guns. And would also send them back to the factory if the gun needed some work.l The Trojans and V's, in contrast, might have belonged to someone shooting birds for the market. Or to a farmer who considered the gun a tool, and only gave it very basic maintenance. Often rode hard and put away wet--and expected to keep working in spite of that. And they usually did. But they also usually show a lot of wear, tear, and just plain neglect. And if something broke, it likely got fixed by the local shade tree gunsmith.

That's the difference, as best I can explain it.

Well said!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Greg, I don't know how much better the Spanish troops performed, 20 years after the Rif War in Morocco--when they got their butts kicked severely by a bunch of mountain tribesmen.
--- snip ---

Lets not forget the British had their heads handed to them by the Afghans (bunch of mountain tribesmen) and by the Boers (bunch of Dutch farmers).

Anyone want to talk about Viet Nam?

There is more than enough defeat in history to go around.

Lets get back to the subject at hand.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances in GB that hunt/shoot, and have never heard from them that their guns need the level of maintenance Larry and Ted have discussed. While I am disinterested in English shotguns, I have, and have had, a number of British rifles (I have an 1890 Martini, with bayonet, that was used in both the first and second Boer war over the fireplace) and pistols and have not found any to be delicate.

Kyrie, as I noted in a post above, cleaning by the "help" (gamekeeper and assistants) still takes place every day after a driven shoot. As for the weather, I shouldn't have thought there was any need to mention what it's like in the fall and winter in the UK. There's a reason they wear Wellies and dress in clothes that keep you dry.

Your disinterest is interesting, given your keen interest in Spanish copies of British designs.

As for your friends in the UK . . . how many driven days a year do they shoot? One of my acquaintances over there has a slow season when he doesn't shoot 50 driven days. He does have at least one pair of bespoke AyA's. Can't recall ever having asked him what he does about maintenance. But what they do today, even very avid shooters like my friend, is limited . . . for the most part, by money. Back in the day, it was a different world. The only driven shooting you paid for was what you offered on your own estate. You were a non-paying guest when you went elsewhere--as were the other guns when they came to your shoot. Economics were entirely different, as was the volume of shooting one might do if a member of the upper class.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/31/15 06:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, the guns built for driven shooting--basically sidelock (but also boxlock) pairs--got used hard in England. I know the Spanish have driven shooting as well, but I'm not sure that it's on the scale it was in England, during the late 19th/early 20th century in particular.
--- snip ---

Larry,

Thank you for the reply.

Driven hunts in Spain were (and are, on private estates) very common in Spain, and frequently on a scale that dwarfed those in England. Remember that during the Reconquista grants of reclaimed land ran to the hundreds of thousands of hectares, that many of these estates still exist, and frequently have different parts of the estate hunted every year for different animals.

Spain is quite the destination for paid driven hunts, and the various companies who run these hunts have videos on YouTube.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, see my previous post on economics, then vs now. On paid driven hunts, the volume one can shoot is limited by money (and by time). I'm well aware that Spain offers paid driven hunts NOW. But we're talking about guns that were made and shot over a century ago, for the most part. And a world that has long since ceased to exist. As in the remark made by a statesman prior to WWI, about the lights going out all over the world, and how they'd never be relit again. In terms of the world before vs after "the Great War", that remark was quite accurate. One thing you get from "Downton Abbey" is a sense of how that world was changing in the postwar years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, as I noted in a post above, cleaning by the "help" (gamekeeper and assistants) still takes place every day after a driven shoot. As for the weather, I shouldn't have thought there was any need to mention what it's like in the fall and winter in the UK. There's a reason they wear Wellies and dress in clothes that keep you dry.

I understand, but dont see the connection between wet weather (which requires immediate cleaning and proper storage) and yearly maintenance.

Your disinterest is interesting, given your keen interest in Spanish copies of British designs.

Spanish shotguns arent any more copies of British design than the Beretta M92 is a copy of the Walther P.38. There is this persistent myth that Spanish guns are copies of English game guns, when the truth is Spanish game guns are just European game guns.

And in terms of (dis)interest, some guys prefer blonds and some prefer red heads. The only British firearm in which I have a present interest is the L2A3. I just havent been able to persuade myself I want to put $6,000 to $8,000 into a sub-machine gun. Yet. Im working on it.

As for your friends in the UK . . . how many driven days a year do they shoot?
--- snip ---

Depends on the individuals social class, level of wealth, and interest. One of the fellows I hear from only infrequently because if he isnt hunting in GB hes in Bulgaria, or Russia, or some other place. Theres one fellow who goes from invitation to invitation, and hosts a couple hunts of his own each year. But those are outliers; most of my correspondents are working (if well compensated) people, and pay to hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spanish shotguns arent any more copies of British design than the Beretta M92 is a copy of the Walther P.38. There is this persistent myth that Spanish guns are copies of English game guns, when the truth is Spanish game guns are just European game guns.

Are you serious? What are you smoking? Of course the Spanish copied the English! Are you really suggesting otherwise?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, see my previous post on economics, then vs now. On paid driven hunts, the volume one can shoot is limited by money (and by time). I'm well aware that Spain offers paid driven hunts NOW. But we're talking about guns that were made and shot over a century ago, for the most part. And a world that has long since ceased to exist. As in the remark made by a statesman prior to WWI, about the lights going out all over the world, and how they'd never be relit again. In terms of the world before vs after "the Great War", that remark was quite accurate. One thing you get from "Downton Abbey" is a sense of how that world was changing in the postwar years.

Im sure everything you say about England is true. The Great War pretty much put paid to England as a world power, and by the end of the second world war England couldnt even control its own economy. The English monarchy and titled and landed gentry have become something of a hollow joke. Im frankly waiting for the Argentines to reach out and take the Falkland Islands; the British dont have the means to anything about it.
But thats England and not Spain. The Spanish royal family and landed aristocracy still control enormous wealth and equally enormous land holdings. Those estate hunts that used to happen in England in the nineteenth century are still a reality in parts of Spain, on million plus acre estates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson

Are you serious? What are you smoking? Of course the Spanish copied the English! Are you really suggesting otherwise?

That's OK, Adam. If you want to believe Spanish shotgun are knock offs of English guns you can do so with my blessing.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, almost all continental guns are based on English game guns, the exception being guns coming from Germany or Austria. The British Game Gun IS THE GUN that other makers in europe tried to emulate.

As to driven shoots, during the Golden Age of shotgunning in England, 30 years prior to the Great War, they made the current shoots in Spain look like an outing with your kid hunting rabbits. During this period the wealthy, Royals or Landed didn't pay the taxes that they do now. Thus they had the money to spend on raising birds and shooting them.

It appears that you have painted yourself into a corner.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, again you're talking what happens NOW with driven hunts, not what happened "back in the day", when Brits like Ripon were recording hundreds of thousands of dead birds in their game books.

Wet guns, unless they're hand detachable sidelocks, don't normally get disassembled beyond the 3 main pieces for daily cleaning. Not a bad idea to do it yearly when they get wet a lot, just to make sure something isn't going on inside.

Kyrie, you have a very extensive collection of Spanish guns. How many of them date from before WWII? Any date from before WWI? Personally, I've seen darned few pre-WWII Spanish guns, and I don't believe I've ever seen one made prior to WWI. Meanwhile, there are any number of folks here shooting British guns that were made 40 years or more prior to WWI. And some of them saw extensive use in driven shoots. Can you come up with any Spanish examples from that era that have seen similar use? Guns that go back to the black powder/early nitro/corrosive primer era? Shotshell technology, modern steel vs pre-WWI steel . . . details like that make a significant difference in how long a gun is likely to survive under hard use, especially with minimal "preventive maintenance". You have maybe a 125 year old Spanish gun you can compare to a British gun of similar age? If not, then you don't have one that was used under anything approaching similar conditions.

As for Spanish guns not being copies of British guns: The Spanish don't make A&D boxlocks? Holland-pattern sidelocks? I think that's news to a lot of us. Other European nations went other directions and came up with their own designs. German guns are clearly different--although many incorporate British features, like the Greener crossbolt. The French . . . well, no one copies the French! The Spanish have built a shotgun industry based on English designs and cheaper labor. Nothing wrong with that, but there is something wrong with not being willing to admit it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The point about maintenance in the discussion I was trying to make was that a sidelock would, with more moving parts, need more of it, than a boxlock. Nothing more. I had a worn out sidelock when I was a younger man. If it was from lack of maintenance, or much use, or, much abuse, I don't know. Since I bought the gun, here, in the US, use with ammunition outside of the gun's design parameters is suspect, but, I have no proof. It was purchased as a project gun, and sold the same way, and likely is a project gun, somewhere, to this day. This was back in the 1980s. We have a better grasp of what a gun of that design and level of proof should be fed for ammunition today.
I would like, someday, to try owning another sidelock. A real sidelock, inspite of the fact I got burned, once. The trouble I have is a boxlock does all I need at a much lower price of admittance.
Well, that, and I'm cheap.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, good point about choice of ammo. I think, thanks to this BB and some others, people are a lot smarter about what to stuff in their vintage doubles than they were 20 years ago. My first classic double was a very plain but very solid pre-WWII Sauer 16. Immediately lengthened the chambers, then proceeded to shoot high brass 1 1/8 oz loads at a lot of pheasants. The only thing that ever broke on that gun was the piece linking the top lever to the Greener crossbolt. But then Sauers (and German guns in general) have a reputation for solid build. I learned the error of my ways, and when I buy a used European gun, I try to pick the ones that don't show signs of abuse. And I won't touch a Brit gun that's had its chambers punched, unless it's passed reproof. You live and learn.

Meanwhile . . . I'm wondering whether Kyrie is digging around in his gun safe for that 125 year old Spanish driven bird gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, good point about choice of ammo. I think, thanks to this BB and some others, people are a lot smarter about what to stuff in their vintage doubles than they were 20 years ago. My first classic double was a very plain but very solid pre-WWII Sauer 16. Immediately lengthened the chambers, then proceeded to shoot high brass 1 1/8 oz loads at a lot of pheasants. The only thing that ever broke on that gun was the piece linking the top lever to the Greener crossbolt. But then Sauers (and German guns in general) have a reputation for solid build. I learned the error of my ways, and when I buy a used European gun, I try to pick the ones that don't show signs of abuse. And I won't touch a Brit gun that's had its chambers punched, unless it's passed reproof. You live and learn.

Meanwhile . . . I'm wondering whether Kyrie is digging around in his gun safe for that 125 year old Spanish driven bird gun.
Or, maybe Kyrie's spending the time trying to find that Spanish gun that isn't an English copy. ;-)

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I think this thread has run its course. It seems someone got mad, picked up his marbles and went home.

But, he'll be back!

Take care all!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, again you're talking what happens NOW with driven hunts, not what happened "back in the day", when Brits like Ripon were recording hundreds of thousands of dead birds in their game books.

No Larry, I have clearly been talking about both now and pre-civil war Spain.

--- snip ---
Kyrie, you have a very extensive collection of Spanish guns. How many of them date from before WWII?

Several.

Any date from before WWI?

Yes.

Personally, I've seen darned few pre-WWII Spanish guns, and I don't believe I've ever seen one made prior to WWI. Meanwhile, there are any number of folks here shooting British guns that were made 40 years or more prior to WWI. And some of them saw extensive use in driven shoots. Can you come up with any Spanish examples from that era that have seen similar use?

Yes. And the Spanish guns would still pass current C.I.P. proof. Did you follow the earlier thread about all the British guns failing proof now that the British proof houses have begun to actually implement C.I.P. proof? How many of those pre-WWII (much less pre-WWI) guns do you think would actually pass proof today?

Guns that go back to the black powder/early nitro/corrosive primer era? Shotshell technology, modern steel vs pre-WWI steel . . . details like that make a significant difference in how long a gun is likely to survive under hard use, especially with minimal "preventive maintenance". You have maybe a 125 year old Spanish gun you can compare to a British gun of similar age? If not, then you don't have one that was used under anything approaching similar conditions.

Utter nonsense. Without two equally complete and detailed 125 year long records of use you have no idea what conditions two guns experienced and no hope of comparing the two guns. I have a very few guns where I've talked with descendents of the original owner and know quite a bit about what it was used for and how much of that use the guns had. Without that kind of provenance you have little idea what, if any use a gun has had or whether any gun I have had less, similar, or more use.

As for Spanish guns not being copies of British guns: The Spanish don't make A&D boxlocks? Holland-pattern sidelocks?
--- snip ---

Irrelevant. The subject was British light game guns, which are defined by their relative light weight for their chambering. These are typically SxS guns chambered for the 12 gauge, 2.75 inch shell and weighing no more than 6.75 pounds, or chambered for the 2.5 inch 12 gauge shell and weighing no more than 6.5 pounds, or chamber for the 2 inch 12 gauge shell and weighing no more than 6.25 pounds. Type of action isnt a part of the definition and doesnt matter.

Spanish gun makers (especially AyA) can and do make light game guns for the English trade, but the thats small change to their bread and butter gun, which is a European medium game gun (an approximately seven pound 12 gauge with 2.75 inch chambers). The demand for British light game guns is tiny, and only AyA has bothered to cater to it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The point about maintenance in the discussion I was trying to make was that a sidelock would, with more moving parts, need more of it, than a boxlock. Nothing more.

I understand, and concur.

I had a worn out sidelock when I was a younger man. If it was from lack of maintenance, or much use, or, much abuse, I don't know. Since I bought the gun, here, in the US, use with ammunition outside of the gun's design parameters is suspect, but, I have no proof. It was purchased as a project gun, and sold the same way, and likely is a project gun, somewhere, to this day. This was back in the 1980s. We have a better grasp of what a gun of that design and level of proof should be fed for ammunition today.
I would like, someday, to try owning another sidelock. A real sidelock, inspite of the fact I got burned, once. The trouble I have is a boxlock does all I need at a much lower price of admittance.
Well, that, and I'm cheap.

Best,
Ted

If you decide to take the plunge let me know what you are looking for and a price range and Ill keep an eye out for something that fits the bill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip ---

Nope. Unlike some folks here I work for a living.

And if you think driven bird shooting is hard on a gun you aint seen nothing. Try looking at guns that have been on the live pigeon circuit. Those guns go on driven hunts for a rest :-)

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

He's back!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip ---

Nope. Unlike some folks here I work for a living.

And if you think driven bird shooting is hard on a gun you aint seen nothing. Try looking at guns that have been on the live pigeon circuit. Those guns go on driven hunts for a rest :-)

A bit of a slap in the face IMO! Lets set the record straight here. Larry Brown is Retired from the US Army (as a full Colonel) he also has written a book and publishes articles for several major gun magazines every month. Can we have a list of your published articles/works? He knows what he's talking about when it comes to Brit guns, you yourself have stated that you have no interest in Brit guns, yet, you sure have an opinion on them. It's becoming quite clear that if someone does not agree with every word you utter, they're some kind of neanderthal. Case in point, you won't admit that Spanish gunmakers copied English game gun, all you do is toss out weights, chamber lengths etc. but you sure make condescending remarks to those that state this simple truth. The fact is the Spanish copied the English, not the other way around. And yes pigeon guns are different than game guns, so your comment in your own words is irrelevant

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, you're wandering around in the wilderness. Live pigeon guns ain't driven game guns. They're a whole bunch heavier. Horses for courses, as they say. (Likewise, the specialty guns for very high driven birds are also longer, heavier, more like sporting clays guns.)

Just to clarify, pre-Civil War Spain is almost WWII. What was going on in the way of driven shooting in Spain between, say, 1870-1914? What guns were they shooting? If the Spanish makers were producing guns in any kind of numbers in those days--or, for that matter, between the wars--why do we see so few of them in this country? (Make that almost none, if we're talking pre-
WWI production.) In contrast, there are THOUSANDS of between the wars Brit game guns still seeing regular use in this country and the UK; for that matter, THOUSANDS of pre-WWI Brit game guns as well. Where are all those old Spaniards? Did many of them exist at all, or have most of them fallen to pieces from the hard use--perhaps combined with a lack of periodic maintenance?

I look at the inventories of the major doublegun dealers in this country, and I have no problem finding older German guns, older Belgian guns, older French guns. Rare to find a pre-WWII Spanish gun, although lots of postwar ones. To paraphrase the late Pete Seeger: Where have all those old Spanish guns gone? Gone to graveyards every one?

As for passing proof, the only way to know for sure is to submit the gun for proof. Otherwise you're whistling in the dark. Which reminds me of the modern Spanish 28ga from one of their best makers which passed Spanish proof with a thin spot of .014 in one barrel. Blew the barrel with a standard 28ga target load, injuring the shooter.

When we compare guns, we don't go by weight. We go by design. The fact is, the Spanish copied Brit designs, like the Holland sidelock and the A&D boxlock. All they did was make them somewhat fatter in many cases, especially 12's. Bravo for them. The Brits themselves did the same thing, long before the
Spanish ever thought of it. You can make a pigeon gun or a wildfowl gun based on the Holland sidelock or the A&D boxlock, just as easily as you can make a game gun based on those designs.

And by the way, if you find a 2" 12ga that weighs 6 1/4, it ain't gonna be British. It will be Spanish. I've seen a couple Spanish 2" guns (with 850 bar proof) that weigh over 6. Most of the Brit 2" guns I've seen are down around 5 1/2. Some less than that. That was part of the idea behind the 2" 12: Lighter gun, lighter shot charge, basically for women and youngsters. But some grouse hunters on this side of the pond like the idea also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not a Spanish gun expert, but there is a bit of history on this subject in the book, Spanish Best, The Fine Shotguns of Spain, by Terry Wieland.

From what is written in his book, it seems that the Basques started to become influenced by the English gunmakers sometime following the Napoleonic Peninsular War. It began with the discovery of quality Spanish steel gun barrels by English Officers and their London gunmakers, which in turn later created a trade in Spanish iron ore and English coal between the two countries. Following this, it appears the real emulation of English gunmaking started in earnest during the early 1900s through King Alphonso XIII of Spain and his enthusiasm for English guns and shooting sports. The King became a real fan of James Purdey & Sons gunmaking and so patronized them heavily. As such, the Spanish gunmakers starting with Victor Sarasqueta (whom was appointed Royal Gunmaker to the King in 1902), began to copy the style of the Purdey guns for the King. That Alfonso XIII was a dedicated lover of Purdey guns does not mean that he neglected the gunmakers of Spain. In Eibar, the Basque gunmakers were flourishing amid Spains enthusiastic pursuit of the shooting sports, and none more so than Victor Sarasqueta. ..... From that time [1902] until Alfonsos fall from power [1931], Sarasqueta was the kings favourite Basque gunmaker, and the Basque guns (all modeled after Purdeys) resided in the royal gun cabinets alongside the Purdeys that Alfonso put to such good use. Source: Spanish Best, The Fine Shotguns of Spain, by Terry Wieland, published 2001, Pg. 29.

Pigeon Shooting: Because live pigeon shooting was so very popular in England at the time [1903], King Alfonso XIII of Spain approached Athol Purdey for help in founding a pigeon shooting club in Spain....By introducing live-pigeon shooting into Spain, King Alfonso XIII was setting a path for Spanish gunmaking that continues to this day..Demand for pigeon guns grew, and those who could not emulate the king by ordering Purdeys made up for it by patronizing the Basque gunmakers of Eibar. For their part, the gunmakers responded with enthusiasm, perfecting copies of the Purdey pigeon guns for their own less-well-heeled clientele."

Driven Shooting: At the same time [1904], King Alfonsos enjoyment and devotion to game shooting encouraged the Spaniards to emulate the British, and shooting driven red-legged partridge on vast estates of La Mancha became typically Spanish, just as shooting driven grouse defined the British upper classes.

Source: Spanish Best, The Fine Shotguns of Spain, by Terry Wieland, published 2001, pgs. 19 -29.

Tim

Last edited by Tim Cartmell; 04/04/15 12:14 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim,
I'm not an expert with any gun design, but, there is something a little bit suspicious in the quotes from that book. If one is going to set about copying a design of English sidelock, the Holland & Holland sidelock, with Southgate ejectors, is the easier of the two to pull off. The Beasley patent Purdey self opener is much more difficult to get right. I'll let others argue about which design is superior, but, when one sees a well executed sidelock game gun copy (think current production Spanish or Miroku sidelock) there is good reason that it is the Holland design. Further, almost all of the makers out of Spain today tell you straight up in their catalog that their sidelock guns are paterned after the Holland design.
Why would they have changed, if they spent time and effort to get the Purdey/Beasley copy right?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

I'm not sure about when the Spanish started with the Holland and Holland design, but it may have been much later on with the King brothers in 1958. I believe they brought the two designs to Spain for AyA to develop for the English market, a Westley Richards boxlock, and a Holland and Holland sidelock.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is true that there were some Purdey type designs made in Spain by AYA, Ugartechea, Victor Sarasqueta, and maybe others, but they were all built early on and are quite rare (and quite pricey when you can find them). Most build the H&H action because its easier to build.... whether its a better action is another debate.

I think what the book is referring to is more about style... shaping of the action, engraving, and so on. There are MANY more Spanish guns with Purdey style engraving than with H&H style engraving.

The English shooter (Kings Brothers and ASI in particular) really fine tuned the Spanish market to what it is today. They had them build guns the Brits would buy. So to say that Spanish are not copying the English is just insane!

I think with the way things are going with pricing on Spanish guns, its only a matter of time before some goes to Turkey to "fine-tune" their gunmakers just like they did in Spain. There are capable of building the guns... but need a little help on the fine details. When that happens, Turkey will take over the "afforable fine gun" market that Spain has owned for decades. Turkeys is getting close, but they're not quite there.... but it won't be long.

Adam

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So, if we have Spanish copies of the Beasley/Purdey, even very old ones, are they self openers? Does anyone have clear pictures of a Spanish copy of that design, with the locks off?
I'd love to see one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There have certainly been Spanish copies of the Beesley/Purdey design. Urgartechea made a model 1040 in the 1930s. They are very scarce.

AyA made a model Senior between about 1979 and 1987. Approximately 40 were made, including several pairs, a trio - and a set of 6. All but one (a 16 bore) were 12 bores. All (except one) had best Purdey style rose and scroll engraving, straight hand stocks and double triggers. The 'odd man out' had a pistol grip and single (non selective) trigger and is now in my possession.
Actions were true Beesley self opening and the ejectors were also the Purdey style (not Southgate). There is some information in this article on AyA's own website http://www.aya-fineguns.com/historia_en....nuestros%20dias about half way down.
AyA also made guns with a Purdey type sidelock, but lever cocked and without the Beesley style self opening. These were made I believe in the 1950s or 1960s. I have only ever seen one and they are also very scarce.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 04/04/15 01:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, you're wandering around in the wilderness.
--- snip---

Larry,

I may well be in the wilderness, but you sir as so caught in a bubble confined to England that the rest of the world seems unknown to you. You are like the fellow who has only a hammer and sees nothing but nails.

By your logic the Spanish use of locks derived from the H&H lock makes the Spanish guns copies of English shotguns. By the same logic Berettas use of the locking and take down system of the Walther P.38 makes Berettas copies of German pistols . Further, since the Walther model PP uses a variation of the S&W passive hammer block to keep the hammer off the firing pin when the hammer is down, so by your logic Walthers are copies of American revolvers.

All modern firearms have adopted mechanical designs from earlier, successful, firearms, making them derivatives of those earlier guns not copies.

The Spanish shotguns that are copies of English light game guns are those AyA guns intentionally produced for the English market (the No. 1, No, 2, and XXV), and what makes these guns copies of English light game guns is the weight restrictions within which they are made.

You wouldnt have to ask why we see so few older Spanish shotguns compared to the relatively large number of older English, German, French, and Belgium guns, if you spent a little more time outside of your British bubble reading some recent history.

Germany, France, and Belgium have been periodically stripped of sporting firearms of all kinds by war, socialist governments, and US importers who served at the market of last resort. British shotgun owners were historically of that upper class that effectively no longer exists in England, having been crushed by war debt, poor economic policy, and increasingly socialist governments that have taxed the landed gentry largely out of existence. We have their shotguns here in the USA because the English have had to sell them to make tax payments.

None of this was true of Spain. Twentieth century Spain was never the battleground for a World War, was never invaded or conquered by a foreign power, and saw socialism rise only after the death of Franco. Spanish guns were never gathered up and sold in mass as was the case in Germany, France, and Belgium, and the Spanish were never forced to sell their fine, old guns to make tax payments.

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip ---
The English shooter (Kings Brothers and ASI in particular) really fine tuned the Spanish market to what it is today. They had them build guns the Brits would buy. So to say that Spanish are not copying the English is just insane!
--- snip ---

Adam

You have somehow inflated the King's dealing with AyA alone to be the entire "Spanish market". That's beyond silly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, if we have Spanish copies of the Beasley/Purdey, even very old ones, are they self openers? Does anyone have clear pictures of a Spanish copy of that design, with the locks off?
I'd love to see one.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

Going as far back as about 1900 some Spanish gun makers offered a choice of between eight and fifteen different locks that were available for inclusion on whatever shotgun a customer may have ordered. Among these locks were four that were immediately recognizable as English designs, and these designs were Holland & Holland, Purdey, Vickers, and Boss. From circa 1900 to circa 1980 the number of different locks available for inclusion on new gun ordered dwindled, and I believe became limited to Holland & Holland locks (and derivatives) and Purdey locks circa 1980.

At least three Spanish makers offered shotguns with Purdey locks and Purdey self-opening actions. These gun makers were Victor Sarasqueta, Ignacio Ugartechea, and Aguirre y Aranzabal. I know these three made such guns because Ive seen examples my lack of observable examples from other makers does not mean such guns dont exist.

JohnfromUK has one of the AyA guns and can likely provide photos.

Spanish side lock guns with Purdey lock only are not rare, but are quite expensive and seldom seem outside of Spain. The Spanish call these guns escopetas de llaves de 4 pilars (shotgun of lock of the four pillars).

PM sent.

Last edited by Kyrie; 04/04/15 03:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip ---
--- snip ---

Adam

You have somehow inflated the King's dealing with AyA alone to be the entire "Spanish market". That's beyond silly.

AYA set a trend that ALL Spanish makers follow to this day. Your unwillingness to accept the blatant fact that the Spanish copied the English is almost comical!!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

--- snip ---
--- snip ---

Adam

AYA set a trend that ALL Spanish makers follow to this day. Your unwillingness to accept the blatant fact that the Spanish copied the English is almost comical!!!!!

Yep. That's what one can read in some of the gun rags, mostly quoting the King's and AyA's advertising. You're obviously easily led, and I wish you luck. You're going to spend a lot of money on guns that aren't what you think they are.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is true that there were some Purdey type designs made in Spain by AYA, Ugartechea, Victor Sarasqueta, and maybe others, but they were all built early on and are quite rare (and quite pricey when you can find them). Most build the H&H action because its easier to build.... whether its a better action is another debate.

I think what the book is referring to is more about style... shaping of the action, engraving, and so on. There are MANY more Spanish guns with Purdey style engraving than with H&H style engraving.

I think with the way things are going with pricing on Spanish guns, its only a matter of time before some goes to Turkey to "fine-tune" their gunmakers just like they did in Spain. There are capable of building the guns... but need a little help on the fine details. When that happens, Turkey will take over the "afforable fine gun" market that Spain has owned for decades. Turkeys is getting close, but they're not quite there.... but it won't be long.

Adam

Adam, it's no use in even talking to this guy. He knows everything and is right about everything. Even when corrected, he won't admit it, because in his world, if you say it's night, he'll say it's day. It's his way or the highway pure and simple. Don't worry he'll have an opinion (all he'll be right of course) on Turk guns, just like English guns. I'm done with this thread, I can't take it anymore!

Best to you Adam

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, not trying to pick a fight here but this is what Terry Wieland had said about the Spanish and English shotgun design; He stated that the exception was Armas Kemen that made completely different side-by-side shotguns.

Today, a Spanish best is typically modeled on the classic English game gun: It is a side-by-side sidelock with straight grip, splinter fore-end, and double triggers. The Basques make other types and configurations of shotguns, but among the handful of surviving custom gunmakers in Eibar and Elgoibar, this gun---a slavish reproduction of the English ideal----is the definitive shotgun. All others are variations. ..Then there is the fact that for many years the British Isles was the largest single market outside Spain for the Spanish best. Throughout its history, Britain was AyAs largest customer, and today all the custom makers export to Great Britain. Their clients are people who hunt driven grouse, partridge, and pheasant and want suitable guns that approximate a Purdey or Holland & Holland without the prohibitive price tag. Finally, there is the ancient influence of the English on the Basques through their trading ties, to say nothing of the inspiration of the greatest of all Spanish Anglophiles, King Alfonso XIII----The true friend of Purdeys . For the Basques, this all adds up to a great devotion to the English game gun formula. They decided long ago that it represents the ultimate development of the shotgun, and they set out to reproduce it as exactly as they possibly could. This is not merely a matter of crassly copying someone elses designs, although you could look at it that way. It is more a case of acknowledging that the English approach is the best, and adopting it as their own beau ideal. It is hard to criticize them when they frankly admit that they worship the original and seek not to steal it, but only to duplicate it as well as they can. Source: Spanish Best, The Fine Shotguns of Spain, published 2001, by Terry Wieland, pgs. 109 111.

If these statements are somehow wrong, then why didnt the Spanish gunmakers call B.S. on his version of their Spanish gunmaking history?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. That's what one can read in some of the gun rags, mostly quoting the King's and AyA's advertising. You're obviously easily led, and I wish you luck. You're going to spend a lot of money on guns that aren't what you think they are.

Kyrie, You are so right about spending a lot of money on guns "that aren't what you think they are".

I ordered a Garbi 103 A in the late 80's followed by an Arrietta 801 N in the early 90's & both guns came up way short of my expectations of fit, finish & general quality based on what I had expected from importer's display examples & gun writer's reviews. In the unlikely event that I ever buy another Spanish gun It will be one that I can handle & examine prior to payment.

BTW, IMHO both of those guns were reasonably close copies of English game guns based on the H&H sidelock in all respects except for the workmanship!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

The Spanish gun makers largely don't read English or have the time to read Wieland. If they did I suspect they would just roll their eyes and so back to whatever they were doing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, we get it, you like Spanish guns and don't like English guns (or anything English in general from the sound of it). However your mindless loyalty, and unwillingness to even admit to the most obvious of points about Spanish gun design is laughable.

The Spanish have taken some classic and proven designs and made some fine guns in their own right. Not sure why you can't just enjoy your Spanish guns for what they are without trying to belittle everyone else for their preferences. Seems like a classic case of Napoleon complex.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
Kyrie, we get it, you like Spanish guns and don't like English guns (or anything English in general from the sound of it). However your mindless loyalty, and unwillingness to even admit to the most obvious of points about Spanish gun design is laughable.

The Spanish have taken some classic and proven designs and made some fine guns in their own right. Not sure why you can't just enjoy your Spanish guns for what they are without trying to belittle everyone else for their preferences. Seems like a classic case of Napoleon complex.

You're welcome to your opinions. But be aware that I don't dislike English guns - I am disinterested in them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're welcome to your opinions.

After reading the past 12 pages in this thread, I'm not sure you actually believe that statement.

But be aware that I don't dislike English guns - I am disinterested in them.

Now you know exactly how most people feel about Spanish guns.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan

Now you know exactly how most people feel about Spanish guns.

All the better for those of us who are. A nice mid-grade Spanish sidelock (and/or nice boxlock) from 1950-1970 should find a welcome place in any double-gun enthusiast's collection. People shouldn't willingly limit themselves, although it is ultimately a personal choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
Case in point.
I just purchased a Garbi 101 12ga in the $2300.00 range. I would love to fined/purchase an English SL in the same condition and of the same quality as this 101 for CLOSE to that money.

I'm not holding my breath. I have brought in a couple of English BL's (BL's!) in the 2-3k range, and they were all returned to the seller. Worn out, off face, engraving buffed to hard....and on and on

My Spanish guns are great quality, handle like a dream and I'm not afraid to put the occasional box of high pressure shells thru them. A win/win.

Now I will say, I hunt with an English 28ga and a couple of American doubles. Just can't get away from the nostalgia.

Just one old mans take on it.

Ithaca1

Last edited by ithaca1; 04/04/15 06:14 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I'm not holding my breath. I have brought in a couple of English BL's (BL's!) in the 2-3k range, and they were all returned to the seller. Worn out, off face, engraving buffed to hard....and on and on

Great value! I've got some Vintage Birmingham hammerguns, but as far as hammerless sidelocks and boxlocks, I have several Spanish ones. They were bought at a fraction of what comparable English guns would cost.

I remember reading a Jack Rowe interview some years ago (I think about 20 years ago) that talked about this issue, that many of the English guns over here were fairly "worn out", yet folks were asking very high prices for them. It looks to me like the Canadian and Australian prices for used English guns are more reasonable. Of course, I'm not talking about "Best" or "Big Three" guns.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/04/15 07:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw

Adam

Adam, it's no use in even talking to this guy. He knows everything and is right about everything. Even when corrected, he won't admit it, because in his world, if you say it's night, he'll say it's day. It's his way or the highway pure and simple. Don't worry he'll have an opinion (all he'll be right of course) on Turk guns, just like English guns. I'm done with this thread, I can't take it anymore!

Best to you Adam

You're absolutely right Greg. Its pointless. It was fun while it lasted but I'm done with this thread....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tim Cartmell

Today, a Spanish best is typically modeled on the classic English game gun: It is a side-by-side sidelock with straight grip, splinter fore-end, and double triggers.

Tim,

Ive quoted, above, only a section of your quotation from Spanish Best because I thought it was especially interesting in the context of this thread.

As Im sure you know by now, Larry has his definition of an English light game gun (said definition centered on the gun having an A&D or H&H action), and I have my definition of an English light game gun (centered on the weight of the gun relative to its chambering).

Now we have a third definition; a side-by-side sidelock with straight grip, splinter fore-end, and double triggers.

Notice none of the three definitions agree :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, very interesting. I would have thought Wieland's definition of a "best" gun should have also included a statement of being built to the highest standard of quality. Wouldn't that be an important aspect of a classic English Game gun? wink

Anyway, I'll give you Wieland's definition of a English Game Gun;

"The British call their definitive shotgun a "game gun". The term differentiates a high quality gun from a "keepers gun", a waterfowling gun, or even a punt gun. While British shotguns come in every imaginable shape and size, the game gun is the standard from which the others deviate....In broad terms, a game gun can be described as follows: a 12 bore, with 28 inch barrels choked 1/4 and 1/2, double triggers, and a straight stock with minimal drop. It weighs from 6 1/4 to 6 3/4 pounds. It can be either sidelock or boxlock, but when picturing a game gun, most conjure a sidelock. The gun has 2 1/2-inch chambers and is proofed for a 1 1/16 ounce load. The gun will be regulated with #6 shot (the equilvalent of American #7) and will pattern best with that shot size and load....The game gun is intended primarily for shooting driven birds---red grouse, pheasant, partridge, woodcock---but is equally sound for birds flushing over dogs, walk up snipe, and flighting ducks. This is the standard pattern that evolved in Britain during the heyday of estate shooting, from 1890 to 1914....qualities the English sought in a gun can be summarized quite simply: Fine, responsive handling combined with reliability and extreme durability. Handling is a combination of weight and balance that ensures the gun comes to the shoulder, swings smoothly and shoots where you are looking. Reliability and durability are the result of a combination of the best basic materials and first-rate workmanship." Source: Vintage British Shotguns, by Terry Wieland, published 2008, pgs.47, 49.

Boothroyd's definition of an English Game Gun;

"The game gun has evolved over many years and today one would expect it to be double barrelled, hammerless, with selective ejectors, possibly a single trigger and an easy opening facility, and chambered for the standard 12 bore 2 1/2 inch cartridge. Weight would be around 6 1/2 pounds with 28 inch barrels.....In general the gun would have a standard English fore-end, not a beavertail, and...the preference would be for a straight hand and not a pistol grip. Engraving is not obtrusive, for the gun is intended for use and not display as a work of art; to allow room for such work it would be a sidelock rather than a boxlock. If we add a top lever operation and a tang automatic safety our ideal "best" English game gun is outlined....In describing the best game gun I have taken a number of things for granted: quality of raw materials, quality of workmanship and impeccable functioning both as to operation and quality of the pattern. The English game gun is perfection and this applies to "English" guns made in Scotland, Italy, Spain and elsewhere, providing that the makers stick rigidly to the standards." Source: Boothroyd on British Shotguns, by Geoffrey Boothroyd, published 1993, pgs. 90,92.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

None of this was true of Spain. Twentieth century Spain was never the battleground for a World War, was never invaded or conquered by a foreign power, and saw socialism rise only after the death of Franco. Spanish guns were never gathered up and sold in mass as was the case in Germany, France, and Belgium, and the Spanish were never forced to sell their fine, old guns to make tax payments.

Sadly, this statement shows an utterly complete ignorance of Spain's history...

The truth is that Spain rose as a gun making trade through the extremely low wages which were the norm after WWII, when Spain was almost completely isolated under Franco's dictatorship.
My parents used to cross Spain by car in the early 60's. Top-end hotels and restaurants were dirt cheap and roads were horrible, equivalent to 1920's Europe. Spain was starving for foreign currency. The economy was dismal.

As for Spanish guns, I have yet to see any that would have a top class workmanship. The best Belgian guns (Cordy, Thonon, Lebeau, Francotte, etc.) are far, far better than the best Spanish IMHO. The same is true for best French (Granger, etc.) or Austrian (Springer et al.).

That's why you can buy them used for a fraction of the cost of their competitors. E.g. there is no free lunch.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle

The truth is that Spain rose as a gun making trade through the extremely low wages which were the norm after WWII, when Spain was almost completely isolated under Franco's dictatorship.
--- snip ---

The Spanish gun making trade that you assert rose after World War II (1945) was flourishing in the 1880s. If there is ignorance of the history of gun making in Spain, I think you have just made a stab at claiming title.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, very interesting. I would have thought Wieland's definition of a "best" gun should have also included a statement of being built to the highest standard of quality. Wouldn't that be an important aspect of a classic English Game gun? wink

Anyway, I'll give you Wieland's definition of a English Game Gun;

"The British call their definitive shotgun a "game gun". The term differentiates a high quality gun from a "keepers gun", a waterfowling gun, or even a punt gun. While British shotguns come in every imaginable shape and size, the game gun is the standard from which the others deviate....In broad terms, a game gun can be described as follows: a 12 bore, with 28 inch barrels choked 1/4 and 1/2, double triggers, and a straight stock with minimal drop. It weighs from 6 1/4 to 6 3/4 pounds. It can be either sidelock or boxlock, but when picturing a game gun, most conjure a sidelock. The gun has 2 1/2-inch chambers and is proofed for a 1 1/16 ounce load. The gun will be regulated with #6 shot (the equilvalent of American #7) and will pattern best with that shot size and load....The game gun is intended primarily for shooting driven birds---red grouse, pheasant, partridge, woodcock---but is equally sound for birds flushing over dogs, walk up snipe, and flighting ducks. This is the standard pattern that evolved in Britain during the heyday of estate shooting, from 1890 to 1914....qualities the English sought in a gun can be summarized quite simply: Fine, responsive handling combined with reliability and extreme durability. Handling is a combination of weight and balance that ensures the gun comes to the shoulder, swings smoothly and shoots where you are looking. Reliability and durability are the result of a combination of the best basic materials and first-rate workmanship." Source: Vintage British Shotguns, by Terry Wieland, published 2008, pgs.47, 49.

Boothroyd's definition of an English Game Gun;

"The game gun has evolved over many years and today one would expect it to be double barrelled, hammerless, with selective ejectors, possibly a single trigger and an easy opening facility, and chambered for the standard 12 bore 2 1/2 inch cartridge. Weight would be around 6 1/2 pounds with 28 inch barrels.....In general the gun would have a standard English fore-end, not a beavertail, and...the preference would be for a straight hand and not a pistol grip. Engraving is not obtrusive, for the gun is intended for use and not display as a work of art; to allow room for such work it would be a sidelock rather than a boxlock. If we add a top lever operation and a tang automatic safety our ideal "best" English game gun is outlined....In describing the best game gun I have taken a number of things for granted: quality of raw materials, quality of workmanship and impeccable functioning both as to operation and quality of the pattern. The English game gun is perfection and this applies to "English" guns made in Scotland, Italy, Spain and elsewhere, providing that the makers stick rigidly to the standards." Source: Boothroyd on British Shotguns, by Geoffrey Boothroyd, published 1993, pgs. 90,92.

Tim

Tim,

I think we could get three definitions of "English game Gun" by asking any two people :-)

This kind of thing (a failure to agree on some common working definition) is why we have such long winded,and sometimes acrimonious, discussions. They all come to nothing in the end but can be a lot of fun as they happen - lol

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle

--- snip ---

The Spanish gun making trade that you assert rose after World War II (1945) was flourishing in the 1880s. If there is ignorance of the history of gun making in Spain, I think you have just made a stab at claiming title.

I know I said I was done but I lied... like Kyrie said, it may be pointless, but its fun.

You say the Spanish gun trade was "flourishing" in the 1880s.... if that's true, where are all of the shotguns that were produced? I see them nowhere. Not here in the states, not in the U.K., not in Spain, and not in the rest of the Europe. That's because the Spanish gun trade didn't really "flourish" until later. It wasn't until after WWII that Spain became a major player in the SXS market. That's when production really kicked up. Before that, it was quite limited. Prove me wrong, please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, going back to whether or not the Spanish copy the English.... ever notice the names of the shotgun from Grulla?

Royal Purdey (refering to Purdey of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/183-royal-purdey-2

Royal Holland (referring to Holland & Holland of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/182-royal-holland-2

Royal Churchill (referring to Churchill of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/181-royal-churchill-2

Celtic (referring to Scotland/Ireland/Wales)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/178-celtic-2

Consort (referring to the English monarchy, i.e. "queen consort, king consort, prince consort, etc)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/179-consort-2

Windsor (as in Windor, England... maybe Windsor Castle... all in Southern England, an area known for game shooting.
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/185-windsor-2

Here is a quote from AYA's website about their flagship model, the #1 sidelock....

"The AYA N 1 has been the flagship of the AYA line since its introduction in the late 1950s. Modeled closely on the classic Holland & Holland-style sidelock, the N 1 has every hallmark of the traditional English double: Purdey-type double underlugs, chopper-lump barrels, detachable locks, articulated front trigger, and optional self-opener are key features."

Need I say more?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Need I say more?" NO, you are very accurate and very clear. But, beating a dead horse rarely makes them move there Adam.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting discussion on the Spanish shotgun. All I know is I had one Spanish sidelock and it was light as a feather and tough as nails. I traded it on an Italian sidelock thinking that the Italian would be head and shoulders better than the Spaniard and that was one stupid assumption.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Interesting discussion on the Spanish shotgun. All I know is I had one Spanish sidelock and it was light as a feather and tough as nails. I traded it on an Italian sidelock thinking that the Italian would be head and shoulders better than the Spaniard and that was one stupid assumption.

I made that same assumption...Now I realize the only thing Italy has over Spain in quality SxS production is in the single trigger category...for some reason the Spanish makers just cant get it right on a consistent basis....but then again that is just copying the British again..... grin

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I've missed a lot of trouble with all guns over the years by having a dislike for either single triggers or, ejectors. Both the English and the Spanish seem to be able to get double triggers and extractors right, regularly.
I like the Darne style of ejectors, all Darnes are fitted with them, and they are bullet proof.

Best,
Ted

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted, I've always been intrigued by Darnes and there clones, really interesting guns, odd looking, but sure interesting. I do agree with you about Single triggers, never cared for them (I do have a couple I use in the winter when I have to wear gloves). The Spanish ST are pretty bad, you do have some that work, but by and large not so great. My boys AyA Matador is still gong strong, but the pulls are horrible! My daughters Zabala, is an on again off again affair, working fine one day, crap the next. As to ejectors....I love them! But that's me. Personal preference. I will say that the ejectors on my Spanish guns have been flawless, never a failure. But, the Spanish use the English Southgate ejector, simple and reliable.

Take Care!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I said I was done but I lied... like Kyrie said, it may be pointless, but its fun.

You say the Spanish gun trade was "flourishing" in the 1880s.... if that's true, where are all of the shotguns that were produced? I see them nowhere. Not here in the states, not in the U.K., not in Spain, and not in the rest of the Europe. That's because the Spanish gun trade didn't really "flourish" until later. It wasn't until after WWII that Spain became a major player in the SXS market. That's when production really kicked up. Before that, it was quite limited. Prove me wrong, please.

Small challenge there.

Flourish is to be successful; prosper. Any Spanish gun maker may flourish without exporting a single gun from Spain. Wrong assumptions produces wrong conclusions; youre wrong QED.

As an aside, if you follow the Spanish guns on the on line auction sites then you have seen any number of guns produced by Spanish gun makers whose companies were founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century. You just dont know enough of the history of Spanish gun makers to recognize them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, going back to whether or not the Spanish copy the English.... ever notice the names of the shotgun from Grulla?

Royal Purdey (refering to Purdey of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/183-royal-purdey-2

Royal Holland (referring to Holland & Holland of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/182-royal-holland-2

Royal Churchill (referring to Churchill of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/181-royal-churchill-2

Celtic (referring to Scotland/Ireland/Wales)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/178-celtic-2

Consort (referring to the English monarchy, i.e. "queen consort, king consort, prince consort, etc)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/179-consort-2

Windsor (as in Windor, England... maybe Windsor Castle... all in Southern England, an area known for game shooting.
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/185-windsor-2

Here is a quote from AYA's website about their flagship model, the #1 sidelock....

"The AYA N 1 has been the flagship of the AYA line since its introduction in the late 1950s. Modeled closely on the classic Holland & Holland-style sidelock, the N 1 has every hallmark of the traditional English double: Purdey-type double underlugs, chopper-lump barrels, detachable locks, articulated front trigger, and optional self-opener are key features."

Need I say more?

I've already noted how easily led you are by advertising; thank you for continuing to prove my point :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is comical. So where are all these guns from 1880s. Surely it's an easy task to show us several examples. You are great at finding and sharing such "quality" pieces with us often... Now let's see some vintage models...

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is comical. So where are all these guns from 1880s. Surely it's an easy task to show us several examples. You are great at finding and sharing such "quality" pieces with us often... Now let's see some vintage models...

Nice try at twisting my words, but what I actually wrote was:

As an aside, if you follow the Spanish guns on the on line auction sites then you have seen any number of guns produced by Spanish gun makers whose companies were founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century. You just dont know enough of the history of Spanish gun makers to recognize them.

Sorry Adam, but your ignorant inability to recognize Spanish guns made by makers founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century is entirely your problem.

Last edited by Kyrie; 04/05/15 02:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No twist on words on here, Kyrie.... you said here that the Spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s.... I've asked that simply back that statement up with some examples of the work. You can't do it... because you are WRONG. I am not saying there were no Spanish double were made at this time... but there were very few. I would say the Spanish gun trade "existed" more than "flourished". Until you provide us with examples to show otherwise, I rest my case. I am sure you can come up with something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Spanish gun a few months ago, a "Widow and Sons of J.J. Sarasqueta". I read Weiland's book and figured JJ must have been trading on Victor's, his more famous brother's premier position in the Spanish gun trade. Turned out the more famous brother began his life in the gun business as JJ's apprentice in 1882 and did not begin his own company until 1904.

Victor went out of business in the late '70s or so and JJ's widow&sons published the firm's centennial catalog in the '80s. Weiland's book is great but he really didn't dig as deeply as he might have to accurately present the Spanish gun trade...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No twist on words on here, Kyrie.... you said here that the Spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s.... I've asked that simply back that statement up with some examples of the work. You can't do it... because you are WRONG. I am not saying there were no Spanish double were made at this time... but there were very few. I would say the Spanish gun trade "existed" more than "flourished". Until you provide us with examples to show otherwise, I rest my case. I am sure you can come up with something.

Adam, you seem to think I own you something. Disabuse yourself of that misconception. You have been consistently rude and hostile, I owe you no favors. Your continued ignorance costs me nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I bought a Spanish gun a few months ago, a "Widow and Sons of J.J. Sarasqueta". I read Weiland's book and figured JJ must have been trading on Victor's, his more famous brother's premier position in the Spanish gun trade. Turned out the more famous brother began his life in the gun business as JJ's apprentice in 1882 and did not begin his own company until 1904.

Victor went out of business in the late '70s or so and JJ's widow&sons published the firm's centennial catalog in the '80s. Weiland's book is great but he really didn't dig as deeply as he might have to accurately present the Spanish gun trade...Geo

Bingo.

Juan Jos Sarasqueta is one of the Spanish gun makers who founded their gun making business in the late nineteenth century, flourished, and continued to make guns well into the twentieth century. J.J. Sarasqueta founded his business in 1882 and his descendants, trading under the name Vda. y Hijos de JJ Sarasqueta, published their Centennial catalog in 1982.

Victor Sarasqueta founded his gun making business in 1904, flourished, and he and his descendants continued to make guns for almost eighty years.

Very well done, Geo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Victor Sarasqueta founded his gun making business in 1904, flourished, and he and his descendants continued to make guns for almost eighty years.

Very well done, Geo.

Geo Newbern, where did you find your source material for Viuda y Hijos de J.J. Sarasqueta and Victor Sarasqueta his brother, and when they started their respective companies? From their centennial catalog?

According to Wieland in Spanish Best, it was Victor Sarasqueta that founded his business in 1883, not 1904, and was considered the first dominant name gunmaking company in Spain. Victor Sarasqueta was appointed Gunmaker to the King in 1902; so 1904 doesn't add up for his business start up.

Anyway, according to Wieland it was when Alfonso XIII (b: 1886) became king that the Spanish gunmakers really began to flourish because of his enthusiasm for guns and shooting sports. But that was gunmaking for turn of the century Spainish consumption.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get in line Adam, as we're still waiting for the omnipotent and all-knowing one to show us just one actual pic of an Arrieta 578 with 7-pin locks after making this ludicrous and unsubstantiated claim several months ago:
"I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks."

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I bought a copy of the JJ catalog from Cornell. It is in Spanish, but I read um pocito; can't savvy a word of what they say though...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
Get in line Adam, as we're still waiting for the omnipotent and all-knowing one to show us just one actual pic of an Arrieta 578 with 7-pin locks after making this ludicrous and unsubstantiated claim several months ago:
"I can only remark that there are as many Arrieta model 578 guns out there with seven pin locks as with five pin locks."

That's Kyrie for you... the all-knowing will make a comment and assume that nobody will dare question him. If he gets called out, he'll just talk about something else and hope everyone forgets his incorrect and misleading comments. i.e the spanish did not copy the english, i.e. the spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

01/05/15 03:59 PM

Yes, I saw the ~ 40 year old Arrieta catalog with an illustrator's rendition of a generic 7-pin sidelock with a superimposed image of an engraving pattern on it, but I'll be darned if Google could come up with a few pics of actual guns that have the typical 578 engraving pattern and 7-pin locks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Wieland in Spanish Best, it was Victor Sarasqueta that founded his business in 1883, not 1904, and was considered the first dominant name gunmaking company in Spain. Victor Sarasqueta was appointed Gunmaker to the King in 1902; so 1904 doesn't add up for his business start up.

Tim

Tim,

I like Wielands Spanish Best and recommend it, with two caveats, to anyone with an interest in Spanish shotguns. One caveat is Spanish Best represents only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Spanish shotguns. For every maker Wieland mentions there are at least five more that he does not. The second caveat is Spanish Best contains many errors.

To illustrate this last point Wieland writes:

The modern standard is the bar-action sidelock. I have never seen a back-action sidelock on a Spanish shotgun.
Terry Wieland. Spanish Best (p. 112). Kindle Edition.

Wieland includes photos of two back action shotgun locks in Spanish Best, one on page 161and another on page 171.

The early years of Victor Sarasquetas involvement in the guns making business is another place Wieland falls down. While Victor Sarasqueta was involved in making shotguns in Spain as early as 1888 (having graduated from the gun making school in 1887), and was a joint owner of a gun making company as early as 1899, he did not open his own business until 1904.

Wieland has Victor Sarasqueta opening his own business years before he even graduated from gun making school.

Read and enjoy Spanish Best, but dont take anything you may find in it as holy writ.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I bought a copy of the JJ catalog from Cornell. It is in Spanish, but I read um pocito; can't savvy a word of what they say though...Geo

Geo. for your information. There is a picture of the Royal Warrant making Victor Sarasqueta gunmaker to the king, dated 1902, on pg. 29 of Wieland's Spanish Best.

I doubt if your info. about Victor Sarasqueta starting his company in 1904 is correct. I couldn't see a Royal Warrant being granted to an upstart or non existing company. I would think he would have been an established company in 1902.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim

The early years of Victor Sarasquetas involvement in the guns making business is another place Wieland falls down. While Victor Sarasqueta was involved in making shotguns in Spain as early as 1888 (having graduated from the gun making school in 1887), and was a joint owner of a gun making company as early as 1899, he did not open his own business until 1904.

Wieland has Victor Sarasqueta opening his own business years before he even graduated from gun making school.

Kyrie,

Where are you getting this information from? What are your source references?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I certainly do not claim any expertise regarding Spanish guns. I only own one, well two if you count the AYA single shot I'm planning on making into a turkey buster. The other is the JJ Sarasqueta I mentioned earlier and which piqued my interest in the the Spanish guns at all. I'd sworn off Spanish guns years ago when I bought a .410 out of a barrel of them for $75 from Art Mickler's sporting goods store in Macon GA back in the 1960's.

You seem to have considerable knowledge of the subject so my memory is likely wrong, as usual. I'm pretty sure Victor did not commence business in his own name until after 1900 though. Can't cite sources because I probably "got it off the internet"...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Tim

Ive been a collector of Spanish firearms for over fifty years. My sources are various and include, in no particular order, the national arms industrial registry (1830 1940), a host of lesser books on and by the gun makers of Eibar and Barcelona, period newspaper articles and trade periodicals, biographies of the individuals involved, and decades of correspondence with people in or retired from the firearm business in Spain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Read and enjoy Spanish Best, but dont take anything you may find in it as holy writ."

Yes sir and right when we had an author willing to dig into the Spanish shotgun, its history and its ridiculously complicated interwoven gun industry filled with its confusing names and family associations off he goes to write books about English guns.

That's just great. But we should be thankful we have at least one book on the Spanish shotgun and at least one point of reference that we didn't have before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, I certainly do not claim any expertise regarding Spanish guns. I only own one, well two if you count the AYA single shot I'm planning on making into a turkey buster. The other is the JJ Sarasqueta I mentioned earlier and which piqued my interest in the the Spanish guns at all. I'd sworn off Spanish guns years ago when I bought a .410 out of a barrel of them for $75 from Art Mickler's sporting goods store in Macon GA back in the 1960's.

You seem to have considerable knowledge of the subject so my memory is likely wrong, as usual. I'm pretty sure Victor did not commence business in his own name until after 1900 though. Can't cite sources because I probably "got it off the internet"...Geo

Hi George,

No, I'm not an Spanish gun expert on any level. I only just discovered Spanish guns in 2010 and like them. I do have a keen interest in history, and anything old though. I also like books which I tend to buy and read a lot.

Anyway, do enjoy your Spanish guns, and good luck with them.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Tim

Ive been a collector of Spanish firearms for over fifty years. My sources are various and include, in no particular order, the national arms industrial registry (1830 1940), a host of lesser books on and by the gun makers of Eibar and Barcelona, period newspaper articles and trade periodicals, biographies of the individuals involved, and decades of correspondence with people in or retired from the firearm business in Spain.

Kyrie,

I'm trying to establish where you got your statements from specific to Victor Sarasqueta, and when he started his gunmaking trade and business, etc.? Sources, references, etc.

Apparently, Wieland interviewed Victor's grandson in 1989, Victor III Sarasqueta, and got his facts from the horses mouth so to speak.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,

Tim

Kyrie,

I'm trying to establish where you got your statements from specific to Victor Sarasqueta, and when he started his gunmaking trade and business, etc.? Sources, references, etc.

Apparently, Wieland interviewed Victor's grandson in 1989, Victor III Sarasqueta, and got his facts from the horses mouth so to speak.

Tim

Tim, how dare you question kyrie and ask for references!!!! Oh yeah.. Don't hold your breath for them....

Sidelock
Sidelock

He is true Spanish firearm expert and you're lucky to have him. High grade shotguns from Spain are fine firearms, but we all know that Spanish bath water tastes like bath water while English bathwater is single malt Scotch. I prefer Chopin or good bottle or French brandy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, you talk about a vibrant Spanish gun trade in the late 19th century. Fine and dandy. We talk about a vibrant British gun trade during the same period . . . and can point to thousands of guns from that period that are still seeing regular use, both in this country and the UK. Where, in contrast, are all the Spanish guns from that era? How many do you have in your collection? Can you show us any photos? Can you point to any of them currently listed in the inventories of any American firearms dealers? One more time, my question from several pages back: Where oh where have all those guns gone??? We don't even see very many from before WWII, let alone before WWI. If they're as good as you say they are, and as durable as British guns, then there ought to be at least dozens of them (talking pre-WWI) floating around somewhere . . . to compare to the thousands of British guns from the same period. Seems to me it does not speak well of their durability--if the Spanish really had such a flourishing trade back then, but all those guns seem to have gone missing in action.

I'll be at the Great Northern side by side shoot in about 2 1/2 months. There will be vintage British guns all over the place, being shot by dozens of competitors. (Ditto vintage American guns.) If someone at the shoot were to show me a Spanish gun from before WWII, that would be something of a surprise. From before WWI, it'd be the proverbial hen's tooth.

Last edited by L. Brown; 04/06/15 08:25 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've actually given thought to having a tube put in the left barrel, but, the gun works just fine, for birds, just the way it is.

Best,
Ted

I thought you hunted with one of them fancy Mosse'turd pumps...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I've actually given thought to having a tube put in the left barrel, but, the gun works just fine, for birds, just the way it is.

Best,
Ted

I thought you hunted with one of them fancy Mosse'turd pumps...

Somedays I do. The federal WMA is steel shot only, and I prefer not to hand a double off to a warden if I get stopped.

No different then you using your SBE.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, Victor Sarasqueta was born in 1864: <http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_Sarasqueta_Suinaga>

If he opened his namesake gun business in 1883 he'd have been 19. I think it more likely that the 1883 date Wieland was given by the Sarasqueta family must have been the year he started in the business as his older brother's apprentice rather than when he started his own business. That just makes more sense...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, Victor Sarasqueta was born in 1864: <http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_Sarasqueta_Suinaga>

If he opened his namesake gun business in 1883 he'd have been 19. I think it more likely that the 1883 date Wieland was given by the Sarasqueta family must have been the year he started in the business as his older brother's apprentice rather than when he started his own business. That just makes more sense...Geo

Hi George,

I don't know either, that's why I asked Kyrie for the source of his info. I'm sure Wieland did his research. Wieland stated, " Victor Sarasqueta was a descendant of the Eibar brothers. He apprenticed as a gunsmith and in 1883, went into partnership (albeit briefly) with a Senor Cortabarria. Together they formed a company called Manufacturera Mecanica Eibarresa. When Sr. Cortabarria took his leave shortly afterward, the company name became Victor Sarasqueta, S.A. The original shop was in Eibar's Calle Grabadores, or Street of the Engravers, and from the beginning Victor Sarasqueta made all types of guns. The mainstay was side by side doubles, but he also built single shots and rifles." Spanish Best, by Terry Wieland, pg. 33.

Anyway, I'm moving on.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

The two interesting points here, as far as I'm concerned, are:

1. Kyrie claims that the driven shooting was as big a deal in Spain, late 19th-early 20th, as it was in the UK. If so, that would mean one heck of a lot of Spanish doubles floating around. Assuming, of course, most of those upper class types were actually shooting Spanish doubles. I'm still wondering where the heck they've gone to--because there's certainly no problem finding a LOT of British guns from that same period.

2. I don't see any shame in admitting it when you copy a good idea from someone else. Holland sidelock, A&D boxlock, Greener crossbolt . . . all good ideas. All came from the British trade. Clearly, American gunmakers went their own way. Equally clearly, the Spanish did not. No different admitting that a Spanish Holland pattern sidelock or A&D boxlock is closely based on a British design than recognizing that a Krieghoff OU is just a slightly fancier Remington 32. (Even though, as those who've delved more thoroughly into doublegun history know, Remington wasn't quite as forthcoming about crediting the French Petrik as being the genesis of the 32.)

Oh well. Dog people who are sold on one breed (or even bloodline) to the point they run down all the others are said to be kennel-blind. I guess those who denigrate guns by other makers or from another country than their favorite--even when their favorite copied the most significant design features from other makers or countries--have a similar blind spot. I don't take it as criticism of the Spanish when one admits they largely copied the British. If one wishes to dispute that fact, then one had better be prepared to come up with a list of patents for things like actions, ejectors, bolting systems etc submitted from Basque country.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.