May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 608 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure what Kyrie is talking about with XXV being a different action than the #4 Deluxe but all of the boxlocks currently built by AYA are the same mechanically speaking. The actions are, however, shaped and engraved differently.

#4 or 4/53. Simple scroll engraving with straight back action.

#4/53 Classic (from Cabelas) or 4/25 (from New England Custom Arms). Same straight back action as standard #4 but engraved with full coverage scroll (more continental style).

#4 XXV. Notice the same engraving as the 4/53. But with short barrels and Churchill rib.

AYA #4 Deluxe has a scalloped action with beaded fences and is engraved with more English style scroll.

#4 Round Action (available in US as the "Bournebrook"). Similar style engraving as 4/53, XXV, and 4/53 but is fully hand-engraved and over a rounded body.

#4 Ovis Uplander. Again same engraving as 4/53 and XXV but with same action shape as the deluxe (with a scalloped action and beaded fences).

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
Thanks for the nice overview.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know, AyA uses the same A&D action for all their BL guns. Just different engraving and shaping as Adam said.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam is correct that all of the box lock guns built by today’s AYA, today, use the same action.

That said the XXV-BL, as created and produced by the original AyA, was based on the model Iberia. This is a XXV-BL from 1968:

Here is a catalog entry for the Iberia:

That’s the genesis of the XXV-BL.

The post DIARM AyA is a much smaller and much simpler operation than the original AyA. They are unable to offer the different actions that were available from the original AyA and that why we’re now seeing the same action on all the box locks.
[i][/i]

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Kyrie, your first photo looks like a 4 Deluxe, except the receivers on those have a fancy back rather than straight back. It's my understanding that the XXV-BL is essentially a 4 Deluxe with 25" barrels and Churchill rib, and I've seen some of those. But they all had the fancy back receiver (scalloped). Engraving certainly looks the same as a 4 Deluxe.

Sorry, but no.

The XXV-BL action is based on that of the discontinued model “Iberia II”. The Iberia has come and gone under one name or another since the 1960s, and when the new AyA was formed after the DIARM years it reappeared as the Yeoman. At this point in time the only gun that AyA catalogs that uses the old Iberia action appears to be the XXV-BL.

So is the XXV BLE based on the "old Iberia" action as you stated above or not? Later you agreed with Adam that today's AyA BL actions are the same. Which of your statements is correct?

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ithaca1
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I had a Laurona OU that had the "twin single" trigger system, like the early Superposeds.

Maybe I'm being a little dense today but what is a twin single trigger?

Ithaca1

Two triggers, but, the front trigger will fire the right barrel first, and then the second. It is kind of a neat setup. I'm not sure how many makers offered it, but, for sure, the Laronas, Browning Superposed (early in the game) and, R model Darnes.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
The rear trigger still fires the left barrel if pulled first? The front acts like a non selective single trigger?

Ithaca1

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that the double single trigger is the best of both worlds.

The front triggers fires the right (or bottom) barrel first, but functions as a single trigger also, second pull fires the second barrel. Rear trigger fires the left barrel (or top barrel) first but also functions as a single trigger and on the second pull fires the other barrel. The triggers on my gun are set by recoil.

Other than doubling during the "WD40 as gun cleaner" era (quick soak in gas fixed that) the triggers on my gun have never given me any problem. When I had the action on one of the guns reblacked I (and the smith) assumed it would be intricate, but he said they were very easy to work with.

CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 03/28/15 11:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

Sorry, but no.

The XXV-BL action is based on that of the discontinued model “Iberia II”. The Iberia has come and gone under one name or another since the 1960s, and when the new AyA was formed after the DIARM years it reappeared as the Yeoman. At this point in time the only gun that AyA catalogs that uses the old Iberia action appears to be the XXV-BL.

You say you agree but this post suggest otherwise. Seems to me like you're talking in present term here. So you're suggesting the XXV is a different action from the rest of the boxlocks still today?

Besides, they are the still the same basic design... One has pins and one has screws... But both are Anson & Deeley type box locks.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,

You are correct. I was obviously not clear in my own mind whether I was referring to the origin of the XXV-BL or the XXV-BL as it is built today, and that lack of clarity is embarrassing present in what I wrote.

So, let’s try this again.

The action used in the AyA XXV-BL when it was first brought to market was the Iberia. The old, and now defunct, AyA appears to have continued to use the Iberia type of action in the XXV-BL shotguns they made.

The present day AyA no longer uses the Iberia action for the XXV-BL, and at present time uses the same action in all the box lock guns they produce.

That give you any heartburn?

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.