May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 608 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Two triggers, but, the front trigger will fire the right barrel first, and then the second. It is kind of a neat setup. I'm not sure how many makers offered it, but, for sure, the Laronas, Browning Superposed (early in the game) and, R model Darnes.

Best,
Ted

Thanks for the explanation, I was a little lost too.

I can say from experience that at least some of the Czech Brno shotguns used a similar system. I had one of these:

and found the rear trigger would act as a single non-selective trigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, as far as the "twin single trigger". AyA made a copy (or at least very similar) of the Winchester 21 at one time for Sears, sold under the "J C Higgins" label. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head. (Model 100?) I know someone who has one. Does anyone know if they had that trigger? They're having doubling issues, I'm wondering if it's due to the "WD-40" issue. I can't remember if their gun has one or two triggers.

After a little research, it appears the gun has a single trigger, so the twin single trigger wouldn't apply. Anyone have any insights about the doubling issue?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 03/29/15 08:35 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If one is looking for good quality older Spanish knockabout double BL or BLE I would suggest maker Aguirre & Aranzabal. It is easy to pick a good one just be examining metal to metal, wood to metal fit and quality of checkering. There are the best pics for newbies into inexpensive older vintage Spanish gun market. My sample gun was one that came from Marlin R&D department and was originally imported by company from Washington DC. It was SNST sporting gun of abut 7.5lb weight. It was unusual in that one could pull trigger with gun disassembled and put it back together with ease not worrying about re-cocking the hammers. I should not have sold that gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
The front triggers fires the right (or bottom) barrel first, but functions as a single trigger also, second pull fires the second barrel. Rear trigger fires the left barrel (or top barrel) first but also functions as a single trigger and on the second pull fires the other barrel. The triggers on my gun are set by recoil.

Very cool.
I was explaining to my business partner what a release trigger was a couple of months ago. Can't wait to tell him about this one.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

If one wants ugly yet hellishly strong firearm Czech, Hungarian, Russian and Yugoslavian double are a good way to go. I call them Warthogs. I should mention Soviets also made very fine SLE based on Beesley patterned "self-opening" action.

This being Spanish topic I have a dream of on e day owning fine Ignacio Ugartechea SLE "self-opener" based on Fredies action with Bohler steel barrels. I determined that if I ever buy another shotgun it will be something truly to behold. No more 'nice gun for the money' stuff. I want the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re Kyrie's reference to "the old AyA": They did indeed do some neat and different stuff. Undoubtedly the most unique AyA I ever owned was a 16ga marked AyA-Sauer. (AyA must have cut some sort of deal with Sauer to make those guns.) Looked for all the world like a high grade Sauer boxlock. Scalloped receiver, cocking indicators (on the sides rather than the "snail's ears" on top), a lot of engraving. DT/PG/cheekpiece/sling swivels. Slight Schnabel to the forend. Looked to me as if it was made for the German market with those features.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Interesting, as far as the "twin single trigger". AyA made a copy (or at least very similar) of the Winchester 21 at one time for Sears, sold under the "J C Higgins" label. I can't remember the model number off the top of my head. (Model 100?) I know someone who has one. Does anyone know if they had that trigger? They're having doubling issues, I'm wondering if it's due to the "WD-40" issue. I can't remember if their gun has one or two triggers.

After a little research, it appears the gun has a single trigger, so the twin single trigger wouldn't apply. Anyone have any insights about the doubling issue?

Regards
Ken

I don't believe they were so much copies but rather they were built to compete directly with the 21. I think they even placed them side by side in some of the old mail ordee catalogs. You got the model right... JC Higgins 100. They had beavertail forends, pistol grips, and non selective single triggers. Nice guns.... Nothing fancy but great quality. I miss mine. And I missed out on a nice 20ga model recently. I called just a few minutes after it sold.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
If one wants ugly yet hellishly strong firearm Czech, Hungarian, Russian and Yugoslavian double are a good way to go. I call them Warthogs. I should mention Soviets also made very fine SLE based on Beesley patterned "self-opening" action.

This being Spanish topic I have a dream of on e day owning fine Ignacio Ugartechea SLE "self-opener" based on Fredies action with Bohler steel barrels. I determined that if I ever buy another shotgun it will be something truly to behold. No more 'nice gun for the money' stuff. I want the best.

Another "Sleeper" is Zastava, as far as field-grade A&D boxlocks. In now what is Serbia. Zastava was set up by a group of German investors, as I understand FN was. The few I've handled were very well made, and reminded me of typical German field-grade guns. There's more of them popping up now. Aesthetically, they look and feel better than the other Eastern-European types.

Last edited by Ken61; 03/29/15 09:22 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

Two triggers, but, the front trigger will fire the right barrel first, and then the second. It is kind of a neat setup. I'm not sure how many makers offered it, but, for sure, the Laronas, Browning Superposed (early in the game) and, R model Darnes.

Best,
Ted

Thanks for the explanation, I was a little lost too.

I can say from experience that at least some of the Czech Brno shotguns used a similar system. I had one of these:

and found the rear trigger would act as a single non-selective trigger.

Kyrie,
If I had owned that gun, I wouldn't have put pictures up for everyone to see! Was it Lenin who said "Best, is the enemy of good enough"? That thing takes good enough to a whole different level.
Much like riding a moped or a really fat woman, it could be fun to try, but, don't let your friends catch you doing it.
Your tastes, have evolved very nicely. On the subject of shotguns, anyway.
Bravo.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie,
If I had owned that gun, I wouldn't have put pictures up for everyone to see!

It's funny you should say that; I bought the purely because it was the most ugly gun I'd ever seen.

It was also a cantankerous gun. The front trigger, and sometimes the rear trigger, would fire both barrels at once. It took two trips to the gun smith to fix that problem. It's amazing what two ounces of shot will do to a clay. The trapper just looked at the floating cloud of dust and said, "We won't bother to cook that one. We'll just spread it on toast."

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.