May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, eeb, Hammergun, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb, Jimmy W), 627 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,488
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, not trying to pick a fight here but this is what Terry Wieland had said about the Spanish and English shotgun design; He stated that the exception was Armas Kemen that made completely different side-by-side shotguns.

“Today, a Spanish best is typically modeled on the classic English game gun: It is a side-by-side sidelock with straight grip, splinter fore-end, and double triggers. The Basques make other types and configurations of shotguns, but among the handful of surviving custom gunmakers in Eibar and Elgoibar, this gun---a slavish reproduction of the English ideal----is the definitive shotgun. All others are variations. …..Then there is the fact that for many years the British Isles was the largest single market outside Spain for the Spanish best. Throughout its history, Britain was AyA’s largest customer, and today all the custom makers export to Great Britain. Their clients are people who hunt driven grouse, partridge, and pheasant and want suitable guns that approximate a Purdey or Holland & Holland without the prohibitive price tag. Finally, there is the ancient influence of the English on the Basques through their trading ties, to say nothing of the inspiration of the greatest of all Spanish Anglophiles, King Alfonso XIII----The “true friend” of Purdey’s …. For the Basques, this all adds up to a great devotion to the English game gun formula. They decided long ago that it represents the ultimate development of the shotgun, and they set out to reproduce it as exactly as they possibly could. This is not merely a matter of crassly copying someone else’s designs, although you could look at it that way. It is more a case of acknowledging that the English approach is the best, and adopting it as their own beau ideal. It is hard to criticize them when they frankly admit that they worship the original and seek not to steal it, but only to duplicate it as well as they can.“ Source: Spanish Best, The Fine Shotguns of Spain, published 2001, by Terry Wieland, pgs. 109 – 111.

If these statements are somehow wrong, then why didn’t the Spanish gunmakers call B.S. on his version of their Spanish gunmaking history?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

Yep. That's what one can read in some of the gun rags, mostly quoting the King's and AyA's advertising. You're obviously easily led, and I wish you luck. You're going to spend a lot of money on guns that aren't what you think they are.

Kyrie, You are so right about spending a lot of money on guns "that aren't what you think they are".

I ordered a Garbi 103 A in the late 80's followed by an Arrietta 801 N in the early 90's & both guns came up way short of my expectations of fit, finish & general quality based on what I had expected from importer's display examples & gun writer's reviews. In the unlikely event that I ever buy another Spanish gun It will be one that I can handle & examine prior to payment.

BTW, IMHO both of those guns were reasonably close copies of English game guns based on the H&H sidelock in all respects except for the workmanship!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,

The Spanish gun makers largely don't read English or have the time to read Wieland. If they did I suspect they would just roll their eyes and so back to whatever they were doing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kyrie, we get it, you like Spanish guns and don't like English guns (or anything English in general from the sound of it). However your mindless loyalty, and unwillingness to even admit to the most obvious of points about Spanish gun design is laughable.

The Spanish have taken some classic and proven designs and made some fine guns in their own right. Not sure why you can't just enjoy your Spanish guns for what they are without trying to belittle everyone else for their preferences. Seems like a classic case of Napoleon complex.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
Kyrie, we get it, you like Spanish guns and don't like English guns (or anything English in general from the sound of it). However your mindless loyalty, and unwillingness to even admit to the most obvious of points about Spanish gun design is laughable.

The Spanish have taken some classic and proven designs and made some fine guns in their own right. Not sure why you can't just enjoy your Spanish guns for what they are without trying to belittle everyone else for their preferences. Seems like a classic case of Napoleon complex.

You're welcome to your opinions. But be aware that I don't dislike English guns - I am disinterested in them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're welcome to your opinions.

After reading the past 12 pages in this thread, I'm not sure you actually believe that statement.

But be aware that I don't dislike English guns - I am disinterested in them.

Now you know exactly how most people feel about Spanish guns.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan

Now you know exactly how most people feel about Spanish guns.

All the better for those of us who are. A nice mid-grade Spanish sidelock (and/or nice boxlock) from 1950-1970 should find a welcome place in any double-gun enthusiast's collection. People shouldn't willingly limit themselves, although it is ultimately a personal choice.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
Case in point.
I just purchased a Garbi 101 12ga in the $2300.00 range. I would love to fined/purchase an English SL in the same condition and of the same quality as this 101 for CLOSE to that money.

I'm not holding my breath. I have brought in a couple of English BL's (BL's!) in the 2-3k range, and they were all returned to the seller. Worn out, off face, engraving buffed to hard....and on and on

My Spanish guns are great quality, handle like a dream and I'm not afraid to put the occasional box of high pressure shells thru them. A win/win.

Now I will say, I hunt with an English 28ga and a couple of American doubles. Just can't get away from the nostalgia.

Just one old mans take on it.

Ithaca1

Last edited by ithaca1; 04/04/15 06:14 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ithaca1
Ken,
I'm not holding my breath. I have brought in a couple of English BL's (BL's!) in the 2-3k range, and they were all returned to the seller. Worn out, off face, engraving buffed to hard....and on and on

Great value! I've got some Vintage Birmingham hammerguns, but as far as hammerless sidelocks and boxlocks, I have several Spanish ones. They were bought at a fraction of what comparable English guns would cost.

I remember reading a Jack Rowe interview some years ago (I think about 20 years ago) that talked about this issue, that many of the English guns over here were fairly "worn out", yet folks were asking very high prices for them. It looks to me like the Canadian and Australian prices for used English guns are more reasonable. Of course, I'm not talking about "Best" or "Big Three" guns.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/04/15 07:06 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
It is true that there were some Purdey type designs made in Spain by AYA, Ugartechea, Victor Sarasqueta, and maybe others, but they were all built early on and are quite rare (and quite pricey when you can find them). Most build the H&H action because its easier to build.... whether its a better action is another debate.

I think what the book is referring to is more about style... shaping of the action, engraving, and so on. There are MANY more Spanish guns with Purdey style engraving than with H&H style engraving.

The English shooter (Kings Brothers and ASI in particular) really fine tuned the Spanish market to what it is today. They had them build guns the Brits would buy. So to say that Spanish are not copying the English is just insane!

I think with the way things are going with pricing on Spanish guns, its only a matter of time before some goes to Turkey to "fine-tune" their gunmakers just like they did in Spain. There are capable of building the guns... but need a little help on the fine details. When that happens, Turkey will take over the "afforable fine gun" market that Spain has owned for decades. Turkeys is getting close, but they're not quite there.... but it won't be long.

Adam

Adam, it's no use in even talking to this guy. He knows everything and is right about everything. Even when corrected, he won't admit it, because in his world, if you say it's night, he'll say it's day. It's his way or the highway pure and simple. Don't worry he'll have an opinion (all he'll be right of course) on Turk guns, just like English guns. I'm done with this thread, I can't take it anymore!

Best to you Adam

You're absolutely right Greg. Its pointless. It was fun while it lasted but I'm done with this thread....

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.