May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, DSchrank, R Reynolds, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,495
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I've missed a lot of trouble with all guns over the years by having a dislike for either single triggers or, ejectors. Both the English and the Spanish seem to be able to get double triggers and extractors right, regularly.
I like the Darne style of ejectors, all Darnes are fitted with them, and they are bullet proof.

Best,
Ted

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted, I've always been intrigued by Darnes and there clones, really interesting guns, odd looking, but sure interesting. I do agree with you about Single triggers, never cared for them (I do have a couple I use in the winter when I have to wear gloves). The Spanish ST are pretty bad, you do have some that work, but by and large not so great. My boys AyA Matador is still gong strong, but the pulls are horrible! My daughters Zabala, is an on again off again affair, working fine one day, crap the next. As to ejectors....I love them! But that's me. Personal preference. I will say that the ejectors on my Spanish guns have been flawless, never a failure. But, the Spanish use the English Southgate ejector, simple and reliable.

Take Care!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson

I know I said I was done but I lied... like Kyrie said, it may be pointless, but its fun.

You say the Spanish gun trade was "flourishing" in the 1880s.... if that's true, where are all of the shotguns that were produced? I see them nowhere. Not here in the states, not in the U.K., not in Spain, and not in the rest of the Europe. That's because the Spanish gun trade didn't really "flourish" until later. It wasn't until after WWII that Spain became a major player in the SXS market. That's when production really kicked up. Before that, it was quite limited. Prove me wrong, please.

Small challenge there.

“Flourish” is to be successful; prosper. Any Spanish gun maker may flourish without exporting a single gun from Spain. Wrong assumptions produces wrong conclusions; you’re wrong – QED.

As an aside, if you follow the Spanish guns on the on line auction sites then you have seen any number of guns produced by Spanish gun makers whose companies were founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century. You just don’t know enough of the history of Spanish gun makers to recognize them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, going back to whether or not the Spanish copy the English.... ever notice the names of the shotgun from Grulla?

Royal Purdey (refering to Purdey of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/183-royal-purdey-2

Royal Holland (referring to Holland & Holland of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/182-royal-holland-2

Royal Churchill (referring to Churchill of England)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/181-royal-churchill-2

Celtic (referring to Scotland/Ireland/Wales)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/178-celtic-2

Consort (referring to the English monarchy, i.e. "queen consort, king consort, prince consort, etc)
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/179-consort-2

Windsor (as in Windor, England... maybe Windsor Castle... all in Southern England, an area known for game shooting.
http://www.grullaarmas.com/en/catalogo-grulla/185-windsor-2

Here is a quote from AYA's website about their flagship model, the #1 sidelock....

"The AYA Nş 1 has been the flagship of the AYA line since its introduction in the late 1950´s. Modeled closely on the classic Holland & Holland-style sidelock, the Nş 1 has every hallmark of the traditional English double: Purdey-type double underlugs, chopper-lump barrels, detachable locks, articulated front trigger, and optional self-opener are key features."

Need I say more?

I've already noted how easily led you are by advertising; thank you for continuing to prove my point :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is comical. So where are all these guns from 1880s. Surely it's an easy task to show us several examples. You are great at finding and sharing such "quality" pieces with us often... Now let's see some vintage models...

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is comical. So where are all these guns from 1880s. Surely it's an easy task to show us several examples. You are great at finding and sharing such "quality" pieces with us often... Now let's see some vintage models...

Nice try at twisting my words, but what I actually wrote was:

Originally Posted By: Kyrie

As an aside, if you follow the Spanish guns on the on line auction sites then you have seen any number of guns produced by Spanish gun makers whose companies were founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century. You just don’t know enough of the history of Spanish gun makers to recognize them.

Sorry Adam, but your ignorant inability to recognize Spanish guns made by makers founded at or before the beginning of the twentieth century is entirely your problem.

Last edited by Kyrie; 04/05/15 02:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spanish “gun making trade” that you assert rose after World War II (1945) was flourishing in the 1880s. If there is ignorance of the history of gun making in Spain, I think you have just made a stab at claiming title.

No twist on words on here, Kyrie.... you said here that the Spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s.... I've asked that simply back that statement up with some examples of the work. You can't do it... because you are WRONG. I am not saying there were no Spanish double were made at this time... but there were very few. I would say the Spanish gun trade "existed" more than "flourished". Until you provide us with examples to show otherwise, I rest my case. I am sure you can come up with something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a Spanish gun a few months ago, a "Widow and Sons of J.J. Sarasqueta". I read Weiland's book and figured JJ must have been trading on Victor's, his more famous brother's premier position in the Spanish gun trade. Turned out the more famous brother began his life in the gun business as JJ's apprentice in 1882 and did not begin his own company until 1904.

Victor went out of business in the late '70s or so and JJ's widow&sons published the firm's centennial catalog in the '80s. Weiland's book is great but he really didn't dig as deeply as he might have to accurately present the Spanish gun trade...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spanish “gun making trade” that you assert rose after World War II (1945) was flourishing in the 1880s. If there is ignorance of the history of gun making in Spain, I think you have just made a stab at claiming title.

No twist on words on here, Kyrie.... you said here that the Spanish gun trade was flourishing in 1880s.... I've asked that simply back that statement up with some examples of the work. You can't do it... because you are WRONG. I am not saying there were no Spanish double were made at this time... but there were very few. I would say the Spanish gun trade "existed" more than "flourished". Until you provide us with examples to show otherwise, I rest my case. I am sure you can come up with something.

Adam, you seem to think I own you something. Disabuse yourself of that misconception. You have been consistently rude and hostile, I owe you no favors. Your continued ignorance costs me nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I bought a Spanish gun a few months ago, a "Widow and Sons of J.J. Sarasqueta". I read Weiland's book and figured JJ must have been trading on Victor's, his more famous brother's premier position in the Spanish gun trade. Turned out the more famous brother began his life in the gun business as JJ's apprentice in 1882 and did not begin his own company until 1904.

Victor went out of business in the late '70s or so and JJ's widow&sons published the firm's centennial catalog in the '80s. Weiland's book is great but he really didn't dig as deeply as he might have to accurately present the Spanish gun trade...Geo

Bingo.

Juan José Sarasqueta is one of the Spanish gun makers who founded their gun making business in the late nineteenth century, flourished, and continued to make guns well into the twentieth century. J.J. Sarasqueta founded his business in 1882 and his descendants, trading under the name Vda. y Hijos de JJ Sarasqueta, published their Centennial catalog in 1982.

Victor Sarasqueta founded his gun making business in 1904, flourished, and he and his descendants continued to make guns for almost eighty years.

Very well done, Geo.

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.