May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, Themauserkid, Jimmy W, Hammergun, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,952
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wasn't sure what forum to put this in. Single barrel forum is for rifles, so this is as good a place as any.

What I found on Google about this shotgun:

Quote:
This is a slide-action Model 25 12 Gauge made by the Union Firearms Company for John Smyth company of Chicago, Ill. The date of manufactor is March of 1907 as can be seen on bottom of the reciever.This is the 25A model which identifies it as the rare trap model. It has an upgraded Damascus barrel of 30 inches with the optional solid bead. This gun has a unique double trigger. The front trigger cocked and decocked an internal firing pin and the back trigger fired the gun. This gun is marked on the right side (made for John Smyth)and the pump release on the right side of the reciever. Only 17,000 were ever produced and less than 500 with Damascus barrels and trap configurations. 12 gauge.

Quote:
The Union Firearms Company produced essentially two very closely related models, the Model 24 and the Model 50, with several grades of each one. For example, there was a trap version and a Peerless version. The Standard Encyclopedia. . . notes that there were about "17,000 of all models combined. . .

Quote:

Union Fire Arms Company was incorporated in Toledo, OH in 1902 by George B. Colton, and was successor to Colton Manufacturing Company (1894-1902) who made side by side double barrels for Sears, Roebuck and Company.

Union Fire Arms Company continued supplying Sears and others with double barrels under the names Union Arms Company (ca.1910), Illinois Arms Company (Sears) and Bee Bee Arms Company among others. They also manufactured single barrel guns between 1905 and 1910.

The Model 24 Slide Action gun and the Model 25A Trap version were produced from 1902 to 1913, with some 17,000 being made.

This gun had a unique double trigger system. The front Trigger cocked and de-cocked an internal firing pin while the back trigger fired the gun. Both fluid steel and Damascus barrels were available.

One serious drawback was that the slide, on the ejection stroke, extended over the wrist of the stock and could hit the shooters thumb knuckle causing injury. This defect was corrected by a 1907 redesign.

Union Fire Arms Company was purchased by Ithaca Gun Company in 1913.

First challenge was undoing the previous 'repairs. The grip was was wrapped in several yards of what I believe was 50 year old friction tape. If I recall correctly, I removed three screws, two bolts and........ BIG framing nail. :shock: :lol:

Another notch in the grip, a washer and somehow they peened the end of the nail pretty solidly against the washer.

Pictures of stock repairs in progress.

As the stock was already notched in a couple of places, I used that access to place new and longer screws before covering them. Also ran screws in from the inletting where they wouldn't be seen.

Where there had already been screws on the surface, I replaced these with longer screws and later put a plug over them.

When it was all glued and screwed, a couple layers of electrical tape, the clamped with bicycle inner tubes.

The buttplate was broken and missing a large section.
Removed the remaining piece(s) and put wax paper under it. Epoxied the broken bits back together, then made a dam to hold the dyed epoxy & flocking mix.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Reassembled:

1) All metal cleaned with electrolysis or soaking in solvent.
2) After seeing how poorly the color match was on the replacement piece was on the grip, I used ebony on the comb. Thought it would make a nice detail also.
3) Shoulda, coulda, oughta have repaired the bit around the tang. When I started, I didn't think it would come out this well. Really bugging me now.
4) Recutting the checkering was a bit odd. My checkering has gotten good enough that following crooked and oddly spaced lines was a challenge.
5) When I started, the barrel was loose on the action. See that spanner nut on the barrel? Once all the rust & gunk was cleaned up, it tightened up nicely to the action and the barrel is now firmly mounted.
6) Bedded the tangs with epoxy. As you can see most of the cracks started there when the stock was first broken
7) Only a couple of light coats of finish on the buttstock. Enough to bring out the grain and provide some protection.
8) Could have done a lot more renovation, but my goal was not to make it look new.

Don't expect the future owner to shoot it a lot, but it should hold up to a reasonable amount of use.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some pictures of the larger metal pieces just before they went into the electrolysis tank. Trigger assembly was cleaned using solvent.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

From an undated Union Fire Arms Co. catalogue --

From 1908 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalogue --

From 1904 --

From 1906 --

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Dave!

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite a transformation Mike. Good luck with it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Outstanding work! Nice rescue job.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, very nice work. Don't feel bad, I think most of us have done the would of should of dance.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great work. Bobby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.