Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 32 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn, the wax I bought from brownells is called liquid but the consistency is about like peanut butter...and it's not pure according to the label LINK

Sidelock
Sidelock

The knowledge was posted pages back. Like I said filling the grain with finish alone will give a poor finish at best.
L.F.

Joe,

I simply can't agree with that statement. I've seen many and own several doubles with incredible finishs done by a local smith who uses nothing but a linseed oil based elixer, Period. The finishes on these and many fine doubles are only "Finish" and are truely exceptional. That said it does take a heap of time to complete such a finish.

Cheers,
Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The knowledge was posted pages back. Like I said filling the grain with finish alone will give a poor finish at best.
A poor argument. I'll just stay the course with info like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted earlier that plaster of paris is used as a filler, mixed in with your oil recipe.Also many makers have used spar varnish as a filler but always sand back to bare wood after application, before next coat.
Polish, melt your carnuaba wax and dilute with white spirit until it has the consistency of butter when cold. Remember an application of wax will prevent penetration of further coats of oil.
To polish or buff up for a finish you should use a rubbing block wrapped in lint free cloth (old tee shirt cotton)if you just use oil on your fingers you will be rubbing until you wear down to the elbows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the ticket. Thanks for wading in.

The American address of Well Naturally is Box 5204, Blaine Washington 98231. Ground madder from Morocco (?) is $15.50/lb plus $3.50 postage to Chicago. Their site is a bit hard to figure out if searching for the product as it is hidden under "herbs". You can get into a "Who's on First" routine if you're not careful in making inquiries about it.

I'll get some for eventual use though in the meantime with my stash I can pretend to be knowledgeable in the premises and thus be right in there with the experienced double men. I should also look up the recent Edwardian thread and buy all the baize with in colors and materials thus becoming a Baize MadderMaster. With a couple buttplate screws from Galazan I will be right in there in the esoteric hardware department as well.

On the other hand with one of my vehicles now being worked on and relicensed I should be able to get out to the ranges and do some productive shooting. Big improvement in anyonje's book over collecting inventory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread started with how to obtain a Reddish finish to the woodwork.I think it has been very well received and a lot of good stuff is contained within these pages.
For those of you interested in colour, Roy Dunlap gives some information in his book Gunsmithing.Leather dye is also a usefull source, for the traditionalist, alchemist, we have the natural cloth dye technology,Madder, Alkanet,Iron filings/Nails.Another good donor is Onion skins,you would be amazed how brown a colour you can get.
Oil finish, here is the original Joe Manton oil recipe as recommended by Col. Sir Peter Hawker listed in his book Instructions to Young Sportsmen.
Recipe for keeping the polish on Gunstocks.
Cold drawn linseed oil 1 quart
Gum Arabic (dissolved in warm water) 1/2 ounce
Alkanet root 2 ounces
Rose pink 1/2 ounce
Vinegar 1/2 pint
Boil these together and then let stand for 1 or 2 days. It should then be fit for use.

To apply it, rub a small quantity into the wood, let it stand for a day then rub it off clean.With a few such dressings, you will bring out a superior polish.
Hawker also mentions 'if considered too troublesome to apply to gunstocks, it may still be worth applying to tables, or any kind of furniture'

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, what is rose pink? Update on the fill advice, used some plaster of Paris I had around and it is indeed a good filler. It's been awhile since I've redone a stock and I completely forgot that when near completion, the rottenstone from a rottenstone and oil polish will take care of all small voids. It is finer than plaster but also darker. The fill is always darker than the wood so I'll live with it. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rose Pink, = whiting mixed with Brazil Logwood a orangey / red colourant.
Modern alternative would be a reddened Plaster of Paris.

Page 21 of 32 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.