May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, LetFly, GETTEMANS), 683 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#424122 10/29/15 10:45 AM
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am currently cleaning up a neglected M. Ugarteburu. The stock finish is dull and has some dirt and watermarks. I am thinking of trying Trade Secret Stock Care Burnishing Cream. It seems like a good choice for this job but I have never used the product. Does anyone have experience with this product? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it has an oil finish I would try the M. Petrov kink, raw linseed oil and 000 steel wool, 3M pads also work with the linseed oil.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not familiar with that particular product you ask about. But i know that the Birchwood Casey stock sheen and conditioner works well in most applications. It is basically a mild polishing compound. It may be a similar product.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

What about the Birchwood product on a non oil finished Fox stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You must be talking about a lacquer finish. It works well on lacquer.

B.Dudley
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. The Trade Secret Stock Care is a British product. The label lists it as a burnishing cream. The only instructions are to apply and let stand for one minute then buff well. It was a gift from a Brit friend who suggested I might want to try it.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis;

I have been using Trade Secret gunstock finishing oil and rubbing oil to finish gunstocks for 10 or more years. I think I must have learned of it when I was living in UK in 2002, it may have been earlier I do not remember. I have used all of their products and with a doubt this mostly unheard of stock finish in the USA, is the best in the world. But it requires time and patience in using it.

Wesley Richards uses it exclusively and if you want to see how the finish appears, then view their website.

Now, as to the TS burnishing cream. If the stock is in poor condition, it may not bring out enough of he old glory for you, but you will like it. I suggest that you use some TS wax after you have brought out some of the stock's former glory.

Since I was able to be in UK a great deal in the last decade I bought TS oil finish in larger sizes than we see for sale here, and I am about to run out. I have a smaller reserve bottle of the oil that I bought from Woodcock Hill.

It may not have been the time to speak of the secret "Trade Secret" stock oil that causes others to question why my stocks look as they do, but I did it anyway. This oil has been around since the 1960's and earlier, I believe developed by a stocker, then the formula was sold to the current owner. I am nearly 3/4 of a century of age now and I will not finish many more stocks before I go to meet my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and leave my workbench, so it is time for me to inform others of the things I have learned.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Trade Secrets is a stockfinishing product made by Michael Smart who shares a workshop space with Richard Tandy a gunsmith and director of W W Greener in the Mews at Hagley Hall.
Michael is a time served gunmaker who was responsible for finishing at W C Scott Guns he also worked with Clive Lemon of CCL stock finishes. Using both products, my choice is Trade Secrets for a far superior finish, Michael still makes all his products personally.
If you already have an oil finished stock you could try TS 95 oil which is a finish enhancer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there anyplace in the US where Trade Secret can be purchased?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, it's buried in the middle of bushveld's comment. It looks like a US retailer is Woodcock Hill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.