March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, Argo44, playing hooky, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also started with a Stevens: .410 single, Model 94, handed down from my older brother. Oddly enough, we were a .410 family--Dad also had a .410 single--in pheasant country. But we were also pretty opportunistic hunters, and shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with those guns.

Back in the 50's, new sxs were pretty scarce. I lusted after a 311 in .410. Once I was working in a service station and had some money, Dad found me a Savage 420 OU 20ga. Paid $65 for it, including a decent soft case. Probably a better choice than a .410 311, but those old American-made Savage OU's are about the clubbiest critters around. Even in 20ga! Eventually saw the light when I bought my first sxs, one of the Ithaca SKB's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad bought me a Stevens 311 to go deer hunting. All I can remember is that 12 gauge was heavy but a typical American hardware store shotgun, the one gun fits all mentality, do everything and hunt everything with it.

He bought it at a bar. The guy had it in his trunk and they struck a deal. We went bird hunting and after cleaning the guns I laid my Stevens on the tailgate of a pickup truck and after getting drunk another guy went out to move the truck off the hard surface road. He didn't realize the truck was in gear and tried to start it. The truck jumped and the 2 shotguns laying on the tailgate fell off and landed right on the road. He started it put it in reverse and ran right over my Stevens and another guys Remington 1100 crushing the barrels.

The gun I bought to replace my Stevens, a 16 gauge Nitro Special, I also bought from a guy at a bar. He was tired of all the lay offs and strikes at the steel mills going on and said he was driving down to Dallas Texas for a job and needed money to get their. It was in a neat take down case and after putting it together thought it was a Stevens. I liked the gun but I really liked that take down case it was in and asked if the case comes with the gun. He said yep and we made the deal. He put the money in his pocket, saying that was enough to get him to Texas, hopped into his car and drove off. Over the last 30+ years, I've bought and sold numerous shotguns (I had to give back to my cousin the NID I got from my Uncle after he passed away) but I still have that Nitro Special and the case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can you post of picture of the NS and Case?? I would like to see it.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll get right on it. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my Nitro Special when I had it fixed up back in the early 80's, this is from South Dakota,

I had it redone about 5 years ago because the color casing had worn so badly it started looking pretty bad and the takedown case it originally came in.

That old 'Barn' gun has done everything I have asked of it, including taking a few deer along the way. (I have bought my girlfriend at least 3 dozen pair of shoes, I have these and a pair of tennis shoes and some old lacrosse boots.) smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a man with his priorities in line. Fine ol cased shotgun and worn out shoes. Gotta love it!

That pics a keeper. smile

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks a bunch Bill!!!! smile

Its her kids, then her, then if and only if there is any money left over, which doesn't happen very often, me.

But please excuse the misdirection of our thread, back to our Stevens shotguns, another good old 'barn' gun!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first SxS was a tenite-stocked 311 16 gauge, which my dad had bought new in the late 40's and handed down to me in the mid-60's. Finish is mostly long gone, horrid balance, and surrounded by a few much more desirable shotguns in the safe- but it's one of those "I'll never part with it" guns to me. Sentiment can be a powerful thing...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting that photo!!! That is a really good looking piece that I would also hang onto.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
JLN Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stories. I started my interest in SxS with a Stevens 5100. Our house was broken into when I was 16 and we lost the 20ga 870 I was using. My grandpa pulled a Stevens 5100 20ga out his closet with a tenite stock on it. I used that through college to hunt doves. It was the first SxS that I restocked with a semi-inletted stock and all that got me onto liking and working on SxSs. Nice to know so many others have good memories of a Stevens too. I have lots of options for my boys, but maybe I'll start them on that Stevens 20ga.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.