May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJ Dawe, SKB, 1 invisible), 725 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,609
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Was curious to see if anyone shoots one, how are they? Nice balance and weight?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive owned several and liked them. Found that mine balanced nicely in my hands and mounted well. In terms of weight, they were what the Spanish call medium game guns (i.e. about seven pounds for a 12 gauge, 2.75 inch chambered gun).

The folks at FEG can be just wonderfully inventive. Take a look at these photos:

Top shot of a FEG 16 gauge SxS:

The circled cross button controls whether the safety is automatic or manual. Notice the top lever is missing? Thats because the barrel release is behind the trigger guard:

Push that in and lift the action slightly, and the weight of the released barrels will automatically open the action and, if set as an ejector gun, eject the spent hulls while you are reaching for unfired shells.

Whether the gun is an extractor or ejector gun is determine by whether or not the shooter has the ejector assembly in the fore end:

Snap the assembly in the fore end and its an ejector gun. Leave the assembly in your pocket and the gun is an extractor gun.

Wild stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"What can you tell me about Frommer doubles ?"

They could sure win an ugly contest...I bet you could point it at something and it would ugly it to death.

(Sorry it was so ugly I couldn't control myself)

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the other hand, that "optional ejector" design is pretty darn nifty. Looking at all the forend "iron" I can see why they are "medium heavy" (and maybe "medium light" when you carry then as a extractor only?).

Only FEG product I've ever used was a Browning Hi-power clone that a friend has. It shot as well as any Browning, and it's still shooting many years later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Removable parts have always seemed like a bad idea to me. There have been ejector guns built over the years which could be changed to extract only by the mere act of sliding a lever, button or turning a screw with everything left intact inside the gun. Seems a like much better solution to me.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are these the ones with the dovetail chopper lumps like a model 21? They seem like an amazing deal for the price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Hungarian FEG (fegyvergyer) with the same removable ejector mechanism that Kyrie pictured above, but a newer different model. The bird is an old obviously beat up Gobbler with just one spur left that I shot with the gun pictured last Spring.

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with "Frommer" as requested by the OP, but this is what I call a FEG...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell
Are these the ones with the dovetail chopper lumps like a model 21? They seem like an amazing deal for the price.

If the OP is talking Fegs, they are the ones with chopper lump barrels. I have had 3 different models of Fegs and all had ejectors and chopper lump barrels. Here in Canada they are quite good value as they are usually in the $350.00 range for typical nice examples. Two of mine that I sold were basically as new and they brought $500.00 each 2 years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! First one of those I've ever seen. Looks like the same type of barrel release as on a Manufrance Ideal (which is darned ergonometric!). Did they ever make a more-rounded, lightweight version? If so, I'd be tempted. The bolsters on the standing breech are rather pronounced, perhaps they wouldn't be necessary on a more-lightweight version?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/18/16 01:27 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Geo, yes they are the FEG doubles I'm talking about. What does yours weigh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.