April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lloyd3, skeettx, NCTarheel, 1 invisible), 833 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi all, IMO lower price point guns imported from Spain in the 50's thru the 70's should be looked at with a bit of caution. Cosmetically, they may look great, but the internal parts should be checked. A lot of them had parts that weren't hardened properly, crudely finished and slapped together.
--- snip ---

Greg is partially right and partially wrong.

Small parts that are not hardened correctly do get into the supply chain of parts, and used to make shotguns. Its rare, but it happens.

But when it happens it doesnt just happen with low price point guns or to just some makers. And it's not limited to any specific period of time. It can happen to any maker and any gun regardless of price point or the year the gun was made.

Understanding all this requires understanding the artisanal nature of the Spanish shotgun. The shotgun makers dont, as a rule, make the parts they use to assemble the shotguns they put their names on. Rather there are small shops, each of which specializes in making some part or assembly, from which the makers buy the parts they need to assemble their guns.

Artisanal manufacturing does not scale up well or easily. When there is an unusually high demand from one or more shotgun makers for parts this underlying network of suppliers cannot keep up with the demand for more parts, faster. So they bring in untrained and inexperienced workers (usually family) to help increase the number of parts produced. This is the point at which we begin to see poorly heat treated, or completely untreated, parts delivered to shotgun makers and included in new shotguns.

When poorly heat treated parts get into the system they can end up at any gun makers shop, and in any gun regardless of price point. People who think they can avoid this problem by only buying from a maker with a name they recognize, or by only buying top price point guns, are asking to be disappointed. These folks have the same (small) chance of getting a gun with one or more soft part in it.

So whats to be done? Here are two simple answers.

New guns:
All the small parts that need to be hardened should be file hard. So if you have any concerns disassemble the suspect gun and hit each hardened part lightly with a file to verify it was properly hardened. If the file bites, the part needs attention.

Used guns:
Un-heat treated parts wear out fast. If youre buying a used gun that has been consistently used for forty or fifty years, and it still works, then the gun either had no problems or whatever problem existed were fixed long ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
With the POS shotguns having such a bad reputation I imagine one could be picked up at a very low price. How hard could it be to simply take the action apart and case harden the parts and then put it back together. I've made and repaired parts for different things, not just guns, where I first had to anneal the part before I could repair it and case hardening's not that hard to do.

Steve

Yes sir, and its just that simple. But Id suggest checking each part to verify it needs attention. No point in fixing something that isnt broken.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A dozen or more books on the Spanish gun industry would be greatly appreciated by this layman.

As a side note it would also be interesting to read how the Spanish gun industry differs from the other European gun industries. That would be a good read.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A buddy in another province asked for opinion of a shotgun marked Lepco London on the barrels, from appearances a well turned out 12 gauge. I googled Lepco and found this:

"LEPCO, I think, may have been a trade name under which Manufacture d'Armes des Pyrénées, a French/Spanish company, sold guns into the UK and the US.

"They were sold in the UK by LePersonne & Co, London and may have had an office in London themselves at some stage during the 1920's.

"If your gun had Belgian proof marks, it could have been made there by one of the hundreds of small arms workshops in Liege/Herstal, and distributed by Lepco/MAP under thier name."

Is it LOS or the real thing? Appreciate any assistance, please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958

--- snip ---
As a side note it would also be interesting to read how the Spanish gun industry differs from the other European gun industries. That would be a good read.

At the risk of stretching an analogy past the breaking point (and of offending Max Weber), I'd be tempted to compare/contrast by using the term "gemeinschaft" for the Spanish gun industry and "gesellschaft" for the European gun industries.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So that old black and white picture of a workman by the window of his cottage pounded out shotgun hammers for the trade while his wife sits near the sink washing the baby is pretty accurate.

Interesting picture but far too many books skim right over that part of the industry. A real shame. But as a historian once said, the last book I wrote took me five years of intensive research and all I got from it was enough money to buy a good used car.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Used Spanish game guns offer lot of value for the money if one knows what to look for. Last sample was SLE with flat spring-driven H&H style action. Lots of features: scroll engraved bone charcoal CC action, beaded breasts, articulated front trigger, chopper lump barrels of light weight 1,3kg, cast on stock with hand checkered wood including butt. It came with European leather trunk case plus accessories. The cost was $2500 which was reasonable for bench-made gun. The trademark was stork in oval indicating it came from maker of very long proven track record in USA dating back to late fifties. They were imported by Dakin, Orvis and Griffin & Howe plus William Powell in England. Chances that something would go wrong with something like that after much use are very, very low.

Did you actually own this gun Jagermeister, or is it something you lusted after at your local gun rental emporium? I mean, you told us you don't even own a double, and that your only shotgun is a short barreled Ithaca Model 37 pump. And didn't you also tell us that you rented a .22 rifle? I didn't even know you could rent guns. I guess that "Hope and Change" isn't working out so well for you. Maybe Hillary or Bernie Sanders will do better.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun fits me very well and they're not getting any cheaper. New ones are expensive. Connaught is 7800 and Pall Mall 15000. Good enough for Juan Carlos and Carlos Sainz good enough for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
A dozen or more books on the Spanish gun industry would be greatly appreciated by this layman.

PM sent.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.