March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Argo44, FlyChamps, Marc Ret, 2 invisible), 359 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 64 of 73 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont find decoys to be quite so seductive. I use one every so often and can't figure out why. Never got a bird with a deke that I wouldn't have gotten w/o. I think you far overrate decoys. They are next to worthless in my book.

Frankly, if you really want to brag about skills, you will only kill one with a call you made by hand yourself - that's what I do. I don't really see that it matters, but it must be better smile smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fair answer to a sincere question,JR. We differ on the effectiveness of the decoy, not much else.

There's still the TSS shot problem, but we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. I'll wait till I shoot at one to finalize my opinion there.

I fidget because after so many years and so many gobblers I still get excited. When that feeling stops, I'll most likely stick to bream fishing...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had a decoy mess up a hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone post some Spring Turkey pictures. My son took one this weekend, but I can't seem to connect this season. Doubtless I need more decoys...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guiding for ducks and geese 10 years ago a fellow guide had a client who was whining there were no decoys out at a pond where the ducks were puddling. When ducks decide to puddle at a particular pond they come no matter what. Well the client whined so much the guide went back to the truck picked out 1 decoy and placed it at the man's feet and said,'there's your decoy'. They came home with a limit.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Folks have been disagreeing about turkey guns and loads for decades. In Tom Kelly's Tenth Legion his response to avoid shot size arguments as to what shot size he uses is "whatever the hardware store has at the time I need shells." John is free to call those who use .410’s for turkeys as guilty of “showmanship” and “near criminal”, but I suspect he doesn’t know fully what has been done developing loads, chokes and optics to ensure reliable, ethical kills of gobblers with the small bores. If I discover that my guns and loads are inadequate, I will change guns and loads. That is currently not the case as judged by my experience in the last 6 seasons and that of others too many to count. Robert’s Rules of Disorder are no doubt based on his ethical pursuit and passion for the sport, but while not “near criminal”, his “I am correct” attitude (with all others being dead wrong implied) blurs passion with an attitude of near felony grade arrogance, particularly his attitude about those who use decoys. I was fortunate to cut my teeth turkey hunting before videos, commercially made decoys and diaphragms were readily available. A buddy, Dusty, now deceased, was a guide for Union Camp’s executives. He used .25” thick plywood silhouettes, sprayed flat black for decoys. His “vest” was a nail apron around his waist and was spray painted in black and green in which he carried his shells and Lynch box. He shot a full choked Ithaca M-37 20 gauge with 2 ľ” factory loads, lead #7.5. We made our own mouth calls from sheet lead or hammered flat coat hanger wire, waterproof tape and latex cut from several sources. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear that John has been ethically hunting turkeys longer than my 40 seasons. We probably have more in common about how we hunt turkeys than he realizes. I've tried using decoys but found them to be unnecessary and a pia in the woods. I am fortunate to have the good health and fitness to “run and gun” birds, without decoys, hunting with calls that I have made, with simple, inexpensive single-shot shotguns that I have extensively modified, tested and patterned with my own hand loads. Others because of health, hearing and mobility restrictions have no other choice but to hunt over decoys on green patches. Mr. Frank killed his last gobbler at age 95 or 96, almost two years before he died just short of 98. His son drove him to the blind in a golf cart, helped him to his chair and Mr. Frank killed a gobbler lured to the green patch and decoy. For those interested, here is his remarkable obituary.* You don’t often see “Yale graduate”, “Great Depression”, “Okinawa landing,” and “love of turkey hunting” in the same obituary today. With the abundance of slo-mo turkey “snuff” videos of today, it is no wonder that decoys are the gateway for most novices into the sport. Very few places in the U.S. other than the Deep South have the extensive history of spring gobbler hunting with calls alone to build upon. I am no fan of the musically accompanied “slo-mo” videos depicting kills with high fiving performers. Those videos are more calculated to sell equipment than to promote the sport. I have encouraged the decoyers I know who are not mobility restricted into shucking decoys and hunting with calls alone, but that is entirely up to them and ethical and perfectly legal. How Robert’s Rules of Disorder casts bushwhacking a bird strolling down a pipeline (probably to or from a green patch) as “legit” and presumably “unfooled” and a “fooled” bird over a decoy on a green patch as being “murder” is hard to reconcile with consistency. Pipe or powerline kills without calls or decoys are “bushwhacking”, perfectly legal and ethical, but seem to me to be closer in relationship (other than the legal issue) to shooting one out of a truck window than decoying. (I understand the need for woodsmanship and stealth, Kemo Sabe.) As for “fanning” or “reaping”, they are legal techniques, but not for me. I consider “fanning” to be the single-most dangerous technique that a turkey hunter can partake. At least the surviving family members can take solace in the fact that he was in the right and whoever mistook him for a strutting gobbler was wrong. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/savannah/obituary.aspx?n=frank-anderson-chisholm&pid=111280752

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Gil.

Here is a photo from this weekend. No turkeys seen, but a good walk in the woods

Last edited by Mills; 04/04/16 01:48 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Someone post some Spring Turkey pictures. My son took one this weekend, but I can't seem to connect this season. Doubtless I need more decoys...Geo

Geo, one of my septuagenarian and stone deaf friends sent me a photo of his second bird killed from the same blind over decoys. The first bird's twin. Shot over a remote controlled strutter. smile Seriously. He is working on having the strutter fire the gun, remotely. Turkey drone. Not seriously. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS, I'll make a deal with you. You hunt your way, with your gun, and your equipment and technique, and I'll hunt my way with mine. The very old, deaf, and inept can do whatever they want to get one more.

Fwiw, I remember well the early '50's when the scenario you described above was more common than not. When Primos, Mossy Oak, and Realtree turned turkey hunting into a spectator sport with their "look what you can do with all of our stuff" videos, the art became a game, regretfully.

I know many young guys who consistently killed 8, 10 or more gobblers year during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, and now whine about not hearing or seeing as many. I have no sympathy for them, but plenty of animosity.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/04/16 06:34 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mills
Well said Gil.

Here is a photo from this weekend. No turkeys seen, but a good walk in the woods

My vision of Heaven, Glorious woods, Mills, I envy you.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 64 of 73 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.