April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, montenegrin), 429 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mec will ship additional rings cheap and fast that sounds like the solution. Your Elephant example is a good one. Some brass I form goes through a dozen steps. Good thing is once done it's done.

Two more tips use very little Imperial . Rub some on you fingers and give the case a quick twirl thumb and forefinger. Aneal is easy in a dark shop bucket of water at your feet. Twist the mouth in a propane torch flame let the hot case drop in the water. Lead will keep from overheating the brass, torch you have to watch the case color, still works good.

Bass

Sidelock
Sidelock

My personal believe is that if a brass shotshell needs sizing it should be done with a tapered die. I do not know if you can buy one or not but would be a simple matter to lathe turn one. Shotshell chambers have about .005" taper per inch of length. A ring sizer which is small enough for the mouth of the case is going to overwork the base. The die could be made for use by the "Hammer" method, arbor press or regular press if you have one with large enough threads. An old Herter's Super #3 rifle press would work great. It has enough stroke & is threaded to 1Ľ" with the 7/8" bushing removed. Don't try to pull it out of the die by the rim, use a knock-out punch.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Miller. Use a die that will shrink a hull cold.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A long time ago I had a 10 bore die I used on brass shells. I used a big vise to force the shell into it. After resizing I painted half of the hulls head stamp lettering red and only used them in the left barrel of my 10 bore Parker. Never had to resize them again as long as I only used them in the proper barrel. I may have the die around here, if I do I will notify you.

bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looks like I've got the hulls sized down and they look pretty good.

I used the MEC 600 JR press to the point of abuse. I removed the standard 209 primer decap pin (obviously it's not going to pass through the large pistol flash hole) and sized the base of all the hulls. The major struggle was with a slight bulge about a half inch from base. I had to remove the sizing die to knock out the brass. Then put the die back on for next hull.

The mouth ends were still .010-.015 too big - no taper. I started to take a MEC 12 gauge sizing ring and open it up to size the mouth end. But somewhere in the thought process I thought of trying the size ring for the 12 gauge Lee Loadall. I found that the back side of the size ring was just about perfect size. I decide to bell the top side, taper and polish it. I removed the star crimp starter and used that station to press the size ring onto the hull until it hit the 12 gauge sizing ring. That went slow but worked.

But sizing down only about a half an inch wasn't enough. I decided to cut the 12 gauge sizing ring out of the ring so the ring could be pushed further down the hull. I removed the priming cup and used that station. The hull would pass through the cup hole but sizing ring wouldn't. I was able to push the sizing ring to mid way or a little more. I then inverted the hull and ring and with a deep socket dropped in the hull, I could push the hull off the sizing ring.

I resized 40 hulls in this manner and tested them. 30 would drop in with no drag. 10 had a little drag but would work fine. But I'm going to use the gun and loads for Cowboy Action Shooting so I want them to fall in and fall out easily. So I'll run these back through the dies and retest.

I'm going to run a primer pocket reamer in the pockets to remove any deformities that may have occurred in rough handling. Then run them through vibration cleaner. THEN, finally I can load and enjoy shooting them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good on ya!!
The OLD MEC cups were designed to change from Large Pistol to Shotshell primers
And I made a special de-capping punch

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 07/24/16 10:19 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I hear MEC can supply a large pistol primer punch and seating post kit. It's not a catalog item. I'm told you have to call to get it.

I use this high-tech tool I designed myself to decap brass hulls. I'm shooting black powder or BlackMZ and like to decap and give the brass a bath and cleaning before reloading.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.