May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Richard Carlson, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,565
Posts546,387
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GaryW
Those are probably Mike's rabbits.....he claims Joe never hits any quail....just poses with Mike's limit of birds and his dogs. I cannot testify to this as they never invite me on a hunt....I think they don't want any witnesses around to any of their shenanigans.
You live in the middle of prime bobwhite country. You own a farm or two. Those invites can go out as well as come in.

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
A very young Mike and Joe. They've been hunting together a looooong time. smile
It just seems like a long time.

Actually, that picture is of my grandfather and Joe Wood. And Grandpa told me he shot all the rabbits in the picture and let Joe pose with them.

I am glad to be here.
GaryW Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Much as I love you and Curmudgeon Joe, I ain't crazy enough to let ya'll anywhere near my carefully protected coveys of quail.....I just got 'em back after the devastating drought.
Maybe if ya'll brought single barrel guns and no more than 6 shells each.............

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the 1st pic , that must be Mike on the right. He appears to be instructing Joe and keeping the tally.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The way I heard it was that Joe is such a crack shot he only shoots the males on a covey rise. Last non male bird was a transgender Mallard back I his youth.

Now it is true that Mike does a lot of the heavy lifting when the two of them are together but that is just becaus Joe knows Mike needs the exercise to stay in top shape. Nice to have fellows looking out for their friends and students health.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad that transgender Mallard was a long time ago. Rumor has it the Texas legislators in Austin(land of the weird) are going to make it a hate crime to harvest them. Not knowing what to look for will not be an acceptable defense.

Last edited by ithaca1; 08/11/16 08:26 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have harvested several hybrid ducks but no transgender ones that I know of. But then again I am not Joe, the most interesting shooter in the world some would say.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that you've brought it up. See below for cross-dressed, possibly transgender male (?) wood duck. Only the duck hunting cognoscenti here will understand...Geo

You saw it here first!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a mallard-gadwall, mallard-black duck and mallard-pintail hybrids. I have seen several other combinations. Most were with mallards as what I expect were the male part of the mix. It seems Mallards are the lovers of the duck kingdom. Some times early season ducks are not well feathered out into normal winter plumage but hybrids just look wrong overall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hybrid with Mallard drake was my thought as well...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mallards and wood ducks are the two most common ducks to cross breed. Figures because they are both numerous. I find it interesting that most hybrids are infertile but about a quarter are not. Guess it depends on how closely related, how much common genetic material the parents have in common. There have been 400 hybrid combinations recorded according to DU so I expect most duck hunters have seen a hybrid but it was so minor a difference it went unnoticed.

Many years ago my late hunting partner came across a Gadwall hen with a broken wing shortly after seasons end. Being a doctor, a bit of an oddball some would say, he decided to amputate the bad wing, flap the surgical site, gave the girl an antibiotic and brought it home to nurse back to health. It ended up living several years on a small pond on his little farm. He said it raised several flocks of chicks which were all crossed with local mallards.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.