April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Marplot), 1,173 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#455528 09/07/16 06:13 AM
PALUNC Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Any one heard of problems with these shells? I saw a post on Facebook where one blew up in a Beneli on Labor Day. Not sure if it was here local as I am not a Facebooker.
I have several boxes in 12 and 20 gauge so just wondering.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to believe that a factory shell just "blew up" without something else being involved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the facebook post and a picture of the shell, but there was
no clue as to what happened. From the picture that I saw it did not appear to be a ammunition problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I picked up some of the Remington Clay promo loads in 28 ga. this weekend. They must be loaded to the max. While they broke targets well they failed to eject from two different guns. Sticking in the chambers and requiring more than a little effort to get them out. I won't be buying them again. Point is that Factory loads can be near the max in pressure and we can't forget that even new guns can fail. Defects while extremely rare do occur.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found the facebook page with a search.

The clues are a head separation, and the appearance of a still folded crimp.

The primer shows indentation.

I would opine that the shell fired before the gun was locked.

You know, that bolt has to rotate to lock the breech and if the firing pin was stuck the action spring is certainly strong enough to fire a primer.

I don't know who loads those shells in Spain, but I smell Cheddite components and I've found the Cheddite 209 to be very sensitive. It's the only one I've ever fired in a loading press in 40 years.

Still, the gun shouldn't fire before locked.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought them and used them for shooting sporting clays with no problems at all, but then I am shooting them in a Browning Citori Sporting Clays gun. They performed without any noticeable differences between them and the Remington Gun Club loads sold at the pro shop within the range. They were actually loaded in Spain, according to the markings on the box, whereas another Spanish brand, Rio, is actually loaded in Texas. Both shells were loaded in Cheddite hulls, as I remember, which reload fine with proper components for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't know Rio/Maxxam was back in US production after their accident in MO.

The last few flats of Rio I've burned were EU made.

I've used quite a few Rios and Cheddites myself with nary a problem. I'm not saying any of them are a bad product.

Stuff happens.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon,
Did the shells fail to extract/eject from your old M12 28 ga.?
It might not be the pressure, but the steel heads, albeit brass washed, are the bane of some older pumps. I have experienced issues with older M37's which were resolvable. The real head scratcher was Remington Promos failing to extract out of a NIB Remington 870 (not a Wingmaster, but the Express.) The chamber was rough from the factory. Ironically the Remington shot Winchester promos fine. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not my Model 12/28 but a Ruger 28 and Ithaca 37/28. With the Ruger it was mostly top barrel but one in for on lower. With the 37 it was about one in three times at least. Not going to fool with them again. I've got plenty of other hulls to load and shoot. They were on sale at 9/box which is reasonable for 28's and I wanted to see what the Bulls looked like for reloading. Very pale green plastic which is very soft. Not a good looking empty in my book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple comments:

If we're talking American shells loaded to SAAMI standards, that's still only about 2/3 of proof pressure.

Cheddite primers . . . I seldom use anything else. Can't recall any misfires or any other issues with them. Of course just one, if it goes off in your reloader, will get your attention.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.