April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marplot, SKB, Kip, battle, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I signed up for my first Cabela's Club Visa card in August-- took about 5 minutes at the customer service counter, got a $9k credit limit, which I will never use. So, for all you finance guys- what will happen to my account with Bass-Ass Pros taking over. I get a 9% interest charge on mdse I buy at any Cabela's-- no interest of course if I pay the balance due when I get my statement. Anyway BP can "screw me" over on this piece of plastic- my first ever. Like my late Dad and Grad-dad, I always paid in cash- CIF Grandfather called it-RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Shotgun, lonesome and craig. I'm intriqued by speculation concerning shotshell benefits for US gunners from UK debacle. I'm loathe to say it because of political sensitivity but there may be a larger factor looming for UK-North America trade: a massive spike in the stock market if a certain person wins, pulling up the U.S. dollar, triggering a rate hike, and putting downward pressure on the Canadian dollar. If the other person wins market speculators say the US dollar will be worth a Canadian peso.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, Oh Mighty King- which are which in the persons you mrntion, pray tell. Do the Canucks want to see Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump as the next POTUS of their neighbor and biggest trading partner. Do Cabelas or Bass-Ass Pro shops have any stores in Canada, or is their business mail order? Do tell-

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Fox who knows a lot about everything ventured sort of a prediction some time ago and, if truth be known, I was surprised our volatile membership didn't take him up on it. I think everyone here has the answer. No, Fox, I won't slip the dogs of war.

A cartoonist in our provincial newspaper pretty well summed up Canadian feelings, as I see it although James may disagree, with a map of the world showing every country in black and the US as white marked Undecided.

I think Canadians understand the warranted fear and pain in America that produced the Trump and Sanders phenomenon but would be more comfortable with Clinton (whom I distrust because the fear and pain will be forgotten when she's in).

Lots of Cabelas and Bass Pros in Canada, two within a couple hundred miles of my place in the sticks although the last one I gawked with Orphan Annie eyes was in the Cabelas in Louisville, Kentucky. Great place to visit if you have all you need.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Shotgunjones that things don't look good for Sidney. In any big merger, the acquiror is always looking for "synergies". There are revenue synergies and there are cost synergies. Cost synergies typically involve closing sites and laying off employees.

Prices at the combined company may go up in the short run. If so and if the higher prices last long enough, they will attract new market entrants who will seek to take advantage of the higher prices. This should lead to more competition and lower prices.

The Internet can be something of an equalizer. Razors are a good example. For years the market was dominated by Gillette and Schick and prices for the newest and best blades kept going up. Enter Internet companies like Dollar Shave Club and Harry's. Now I can get a month's supply of great blades shipped to me for about $4/mo and shipping is free.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something that has not happened, in our particular area of interest: Dealers in high end shotguns have not suffered from the competition offered by Cabela's and Bass Pro. And I don't see the merger having any impact on that. Too many stores; not enough Gun Library personnel who specialize in high end shotguns (or collectible Winchesters or Colts, or any other similar niche in the firearms market). As noted previously, sometimes you can make very good buys because they underprice a high end double; sometimes you laugh when they overprice one. But if you've fooled around with doubles for very long and have developed the experience and knowledge of many who post here, you really appreciate dealing with people who know what they have--even if you end up paying only a fair price rather than walking out with a real bargain.

I am hoping that Cabela's retains its 5% military discount. If you do find a higher end gun at an attractive price, that's just a bit more icing on the cake.

Last edited by L. Brown; 10/06/16 07:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Fox who knows a lot about everything" sounds a bit like "damning with faint praise", at least to this Reynard. I know a bit about certain things, at age 75- and you are correct, oh Mighty King, there is a great deal of vitrol extant here and on other gun related websites as well.

I view the Canucks as being provincial, although your new PM is indeed a force majeur in today's world, as is German Chancellor Angela Merkel, IMO anyway. As your Dominion is restrictive on guns and especially handguns, and now it is required to have a valid passport for Americans to enter and exit Canada, well my last visit was to Calgary in July 1988- took a side trip to Banff as well, well worth the drive from the "Oiler City"-

What a do know a great deal about is welding and metallurgy, and what a know something about are L.C. Smiths, Winchester Model 12 and Model 70 , and some Colts- also the M-1 Garand. What I am interested in even though I do not have the college degree to enter the field- is architecture, literature and both art and music, classical music.

My favorite poem is "High Flight", written in 1941 by Canadian pilot John G. McGee Jr., my favorite paintings are: "The Astronomer by Vermeer and the Starry Night series (he painted two views by the bridge) by Van Gogh, My favorite book is "The Prince" by Machiavelli, and my favorite piece of classical music is Handel's "Messiah"-- there you go!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's interesting to hear of some of your favorite things Fox.

As you can see, some of King Brown's favorite things are blind allegiance to anti-gun politicians like Hillary Clinton and Barack Hussein Obama.

Originally Posted By: King Brown
It's hardly mean-spirited to note that I'm an Obama supporter. I'm proud of it, apparent here as long as he's been around. He's anti-gun but has kept his legislative gun in his holster to position his party for '16.

Naturally, King Brown is predicting the downfall of the United States if Trump should get elected. This is about as accurate as his prediction of the collapse of Great Britain upon leaving the EU in the recent Brexit referendum.

Note that I didn't take this thread off topic and into politics. King did that. I just wanted to set the record straight and point out his repeated anti-gun, anti-NRA, and anti-2nd Amendment leanings. In my opinion, it appears that undermining our gun rights is one of his favorite things. King thinks it is "volatile" to support the only pro-gun candidate in this election. Just what I'd expect from a good little Liberal Left soldier.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

President Obama's popularity rating is pretty high now-a-days. Even a hammer looks pretty good when you stop hitting yourself on the head with it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, the hammer probably looks terrible. Can a hammer have no clothes?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.