May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Argo44, 1 invisible), 620 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,054
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I managed to have a bout of good fortune yesterday afternoon.

This nice 4 pointer….the body was big and he was very heavy wandered in around 3:40pm.

I had seen several does from my perch and had missed one and wrecked an arrow during the wee morning hours when I attempted a longish shot that I should not have tried.

Fortunately the arrow hit the ground in front of the doe and she went loping off.

Mr. Buck came in from the south and made a dead stop 25 yards out. It was overcast and windy with a 15 mph breeze blowing steadily from the northwest. The woods were noisy with leaves falling everywhere. The ground was wet and so was everything else from the steady morning rain. I knew he couldn’t smell me or, hear me so if I was careful maybe he wouldn’t see me either.

I sat perfectly still for what seemed to be 4 hours…it was about 4 minutes. As the adrenalin kicked up my hands began to shake (worse than my normal vibrational pattern). When he took a step forward his head was behind a tree. I slowly stood and brought the Hoyt up to eye. I drew it back and waited.

Only a few seconds passed and he started moving towards me with his head down sniffing about. He was at 18 out and I put the glowing green pin on his shoulder. He was not perpendicular to my so the shot would traverse his body at a good angle. As he stepped forward there was a noise behind me and he jumped to attention. As I punched the release trigger he jumped forward. The arrow hit further back than I had anticipated and higher too. I was thinking…this is gonna suck tracking him for the next 2 days.

Much to my relief as he bolted by I could see the blood literally spraying out like a squirt gun. Apparently I hit a main artery because I’ve never seen that type of spray from a bow shot previously.

I wanted to get down so bad…but I yanked out my smart phone and set the timer for 20 minutes. I looked up deer anatomy diagram to see what major vessel would be in the area of the hit. I was relieved to see that on the diagram the primary vessel that supplies blood to the entire aft deer engine was exactly where I saw the bleeding.

20 minutes go buy…I double check my safety tie ins to be sure I don’t damage myself on the way down. Arriving at ground level; I spy the area where the arrow hit. Blood is everywhere. Almost looks like there was an axe used. I take a deep breath and very slowly start to follow the “way too easy blood trail”. It took me about 10 minutes to cover the 60 yards necessary to find the buck. He had leaked out and was lying in the middle of the trail all sprawled out. I breathed a sigh of relief and began the field dressing process. The field dressing was going great until I had the idea to wipe some deer fat off on my pants. Helpful hint…Don’t do this when you are still pumped with a sharp knife. I wasn’t bleeding too badly and it will heal. My wife will probably manage a patch on the wool pants and under armor too.

Dragging him out was a total b*tch. He was a heavy mother and when you see the picture you will notice 2 things. First my deluxe blue velvet Harbor Freight gutting gloves! Yes, I am a stylish hunter. And second my mouth is still open sucking wind from the drag.

The post mortem showed the arrow had gone in just behind the top of the right lung. It hit the main artery and then the spine. Upon hitting the spine I suspect it broke in half (I found the back half of the arrow about 20 yards from the hit). The front half of the arrow was deflected down and came to rest inside the left rear leg!

All and all it was an exciting day. I’ll be out again soon with 3 more tags to fill. My crossbow is tuned for the mid November start date for that implement. My rifles are good to go for late November and the muzzle loader is sighted and greased for late season. I’ll keep you all advised of my success.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

the least a guy who runs a double gun board could do is shoot a Parker bow laugh

good going with all that wind yesterday

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for sharing
Mike

p.s.
I see you carry your arrows SIDE BY SIDE smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the Indians had bows like that, things might have turned out substantially differently

Last edited by tudurgs; 10/23/16 10:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations, Dave.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a surprise shot with my 7 X 57 Brno on a Newfoundland moose running downhill in a foot of snow. It did a back-flip a metre in the air, came down stone-dead. Severed the spinal cord ahead of the shoulder. Dominion 139-grain SP at 2900fps. An 800-pound animal flying backwards, upside-down in the air!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good show, Dave.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a nice buck.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one Dave; keep it up...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Way to go Dave. Congratulations on another successful hunt.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.