March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anybody here had recent experience with these. My shooting student Joe Wood bought one several years ago and swears by his.

Sometimes I hunt by myself and nobody knows where I am (sometimes even me) and I am going to get one.

Thanks!

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You mean a Hunters version of an "I've fallen and can't get up" pendant??

smile smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes I do fall and cannot get up. At least until I can crawl over to a tree for an assist. I've always figured my cell phone would suffice in case of an emergency. Wouldn't the 'ping' feature work the same as an emergency locator after a 911 call?...Geo.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This EPIRB is smaller than a cell phone. The signal is satellite relayed. Not dependent on a cell phone tower.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-electr...EbK3xoCntzw_wcB
Here's a smaller one that can be operated with one hand.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ocean-sign...Recs-_-MB-_-PDP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friend of mine fell, mashed his neck, and couldn't operate the phone. In an unbelevable stroke of luck two other hunters -and ERIC Doctor and an EMT found him, and arranged to get him out

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted and trapped most of my life alone and am under the firm belief if you go into the field preparing for something to go wrong it will. I've had some very close calls but am still here and have some great stories.

I refuse to even take my cell phone n the field with me, my time afield is mine I don't want it interrupted.

Last edited by oskar; 12/11/16 06:57 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oskar
I've hunted and trapped most of my life alone and am under the firm belief if you go into the field preparing for something to go wrong it will.

If something goes wrong, it will happen whether you are prepared to survive or not. I even tell Emily where I'm going sometimes now. I can't give the marina operator a list of where i'll be fishing in the Everglades National Park though for fear it might get out.

Think I'll check into a personal EPIRB...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I own land in WSTX that joins a state highway, During an ice storm an insurance adjuster slid off the road an into a brush covered ravine. His truck was obscured from the road.

He was very seriously injured and pinned in his truck cab. As there is no reliable cell service in that area. His calls never connected to a tower.

After approximately four days based on information from his cell phone and the coroner, he shot himself. His body was found approximately a week later when someone noticed the fence was down and saw a debris field through the brush. A very sad situation, it gives me the creeps.

Last edited by postoak; 12/11/16 07:47 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Down here in southeastern Arizona in the foothills adjoining the mountains it's very easy to get turned around. My hunting buddy carries a GPS locater(I think that's what it's called) and will scroll in the truck location so he can find his way back. I've been relying on a compass and mental notes of the terrain.

BTW the locator also tells him where his dog is located when it goes on point.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 12/11/16 07:12 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, the big selling point of a PLB or EPIRP is the ellimination of "search" from "search and rescue."
Gil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.