April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gunning Bird), 1,042 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JHJ Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Been away a long time. I recently examined a a friends damascus barreled BLNE and just prior to that day, shot some sporting clays with another friends Grulla SLE 12ga.

Golly gee whiz, I miss that. LOL. Nothing handles like a properly set up SxS.

Need to decide if a high condition American double or... one of the newly available Dickinson or SKB's are the way to go. I'll use the search functions to research previous discussions here. I do not want to drop a lot of money into a SxS, but I do need something that will hold up to modern, off the shelf ammo plus "sanely-priced" non-toxics.

If anyone would care to suggest something, your comments will be welcome.

Regards to all, John Jankowski

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome back, John. Been awhile.

I'd recommend a 30" barreled BSS, or a Miroku made SKB, etc. Reasonably priced guns, easy to shoot, nearly bulletproof, and will do everything you said you want. But, they are single trigger guns. They can be had for $1400 and under. I've used a BSS for S X S clays events and ducks for a long time.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ditto, re bss...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Jankowski
Been away a long time. I recently examined a a friends damascus barreled BLNE and just prior to that day, shot some sporting clays with another friends Grulla SLE 12ga.

Golly gee whiz, I miss that. LOL. Nothing handles like a properly set up SxS.

Need to decide if a high condition American double or... one of the newly available Dickinson or SKB's are the way to go. I'll use the search functions to research previous discussions here. I do not want to drop a lot of money into a SxS, but I do need something that will hold up to modern, off the shelf ammo plus "sanely-priced" non-toxics.

If anyone would care to suggest something, your comments will be welcome.

Regards to all, John Jankowski

Welcome back. The problem with properly set up SxS it that it is only suitable for upland gunning. It is niche type gun for uplands and as large caliber stopping rifle for stopping dangerous game. I would suggest properly set up 0/U like Winchester 6500 2&3/4" only field gun or light weight Beretta like Blackwing, Whitewing or Ultralight. Why O/U? Well firing bottom barrel first makes for more pleasant recoil impulse, single sighting plane making shots on rising birds or targets easier. The ones I mentioned come with choke tubes meaning they are steel shot compatible. The cheapest "soft" non-tox is newly released Kent Bismuth at about $18 per 10 pack of 2&3/4" 12s. The 20ga & 16ga are about $2 per box less. This is twice as much as 25 pack of "upland or target-type" steel loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

think all you really need is a booster shot....and you will forget all about these money pits....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jager, I believe he said he wanted to get back into doubles - don't think he worried about being a niche gun. Actually I don't look at them as niche guns, but guns with the barrels in the proper position - horizontal, like your eyes. Never could understand how anyone could shoot one of those guns with the barrels vertical.
I shoot Remingtons, Ithacas, Parkers, and Lefevers and because I reload don't worry about non toxic shot because there's the proper wad between the barrel and shot. The BBS and SKB would be good bets for modern guns.

Last edited by Paul Harm; 01/09/17 02:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember when you shot primarily sxs, including 2" guns.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
Jager, I believe he said he wanted to get back into doubles - don't think he worried about being a niche gun. Actually I don't look at them as niche guns, but guns with the barrels in the proper position - horizontal, like your eyes. Never could understand how anyone could shoot one of those guns with the barrels vertical.
I shoot Remingtons, Ithacas, Parkers, and Lefevers and because I reload don't worry about non toxic shot because there's the proper wad between the barrel and shot. The BBS and SKB would be good bets for modern guns.

Too bad he does not live in Germany Waffen Frankonia has promo sale. One of the offerings is Merkel Bros. 40E 28" straight grip double triggers for kool €2879. Good gun for the money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Welcome back, John. Been awhile.

I'd recommend a 30" barreled BSS, or a Miroku made SKB, etc. Reasonably priced guns, easy to shoot, nearly bulletproof, and will do everything you said you want.

Good suggestions . . . although SKB made their own guns in Japan (until the recent appearance of Turkish-made SKB's). Miroku, in addition to making the BSS, also made sxs under the Charles Daly name. And quite a few of the Miroku-made Dalys do have double triggers, if that's what you prefer.

German guns are also worth considering. The more basic older guns made by Sauer (either E or W German) or Simson, or Merkel--not so old that they have short chambers, and not the newest Merkels to keep your investment down--are all good bets. And, like the Japanese guns, there are a lot of them on the used market. From Italy, the older Berettas and V. Bernardellis are also worth a look.

Plenty of options out there. Enjoy the hunt!

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about a V Bernardelli (spelling?)..their sideplated boxlocks look rather nice, I think they are a series called Roma #1,#2,#3, #4 etc.Going up in engraving n wood as the numbers increas..to one (#6?)that has false pins n looks real Sidelocky,lol
Also they had some regular looking Boxlocks.
I have heard good things about them.
My first Hammer gun was the middle grade Italia , or perhaps the Brescia forget the name, but I thought it a great gun,modern enough to shoot factory loads.
But after getting the hammer gun bug, I sold it to help buy a nice ww Greener steel bbl hammer...but it was a great gun all the same...
Just to mention another name
good luck with your search
cheers
Franc
oops Larry beat me to it...but check them out, don't see very many for sale though.

Last edited by Franc Otte; 01/09/17 03:51 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.