April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Buzz, Marks_21, Lloyd3, Chad Linder, eightbore, 2 invisible), 200 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,019
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

RRL = Ruger Red Label, I believe

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
A shotgun you shoot well is priceless. If it shoots loose then take it to a gunsmith and have it fixed.

Its an old field grade that's just not worth pouring money into it.

It is to me.

But you'll lose money when you go to sell it.

It ain't for sale.

Well said Treblig!

Last edited by canvasback; 02/08/17 10:01 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Sir!!!

I have my uses, they are limited but I do have them.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 100 years for a Parker.
My VH 20 gauge was made on a 28 ga frame way back in 1900 and around 2000 it had become loose enough to have it serviced. A gun maker friend of mine took it to Dale Tate ( http://www.daletategunmaker.com/ ) and they brought it back to life with a period recoil pad and my initials on the German silver stock shield.
It should last another 100 years now as I only take it out a couple times per year.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, I'd like to sell it asap. I can't really judge my friend too heavily for his attitude, he just hasn't done the research, it wasn't that long ago that I was in his shoes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ - Re: those shaky RRLs. I hear you. Have an early one with about 75k rounds through it. Though it's tight on face, I had to send it back last year for a new bolt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate too much thread drift.
I bear no malice toward RRL's. I've enjoyed shooting them.
And the looseness is by design. It's intentional.
For me, it's just that having come from the "Tighter is better, Tight is a sign of precision, and Loose is bad" school, I can't appreciate the RRL's genius.

The OP wants to be rid of an old hammergun in good condition.

I advocate putting an ad up here, and selling it to me or someone else that wants to participate in the Hammer gun shoots for short money.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

These don't "shoot loose":

The gun on the bottom was produced in 1946. It is on it's second buttstock, has suffered two pimple bulges it the left barrel, a huge backbore and relief of the chokes in both barrels, and was used hard, by the former owner, one Steve Bodio, and harder by me in the two decades I've owned it.
There is no pin to wear in the design, and a spring loaded cam holds the action closed, and will compensate for any wear that occurs, although the wear surfaces in the design are enormous, and don't really allow for a lot of wear.
The barrels measure .090 in the area of the bulges, and, while technically out of proof, the maker assured me it would be fine to use as it, just not to let anything obstruct the bore.
You guys and your hinge pins...

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're fighting a losing battle, Ted. Most of us would rather have a gun that looks nice, was built right here by our ancestors, but after many tens of thousands of rounds shoots loose and has to be corrected, than shoot an ugly gun all our lives.

I know you won't agree, but the old adage that "pretty is as pretty does" only goes so far. And for most of us, not quite as far as a sliding breech gun.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Oh, I don't consider it a battle, Stan. As I have pointed out before, the Darne works had over 120,000 guns on the books by 1932, at the beginning of what was a huge decade for them, production wise.

I guess somebody considers a Darne good looking, Stan. I know I do.

So, in reality, no American double gun manufacturers even got close to that level of production. As Dig has pointed out, had there not been such high taxes placed on imported guns, American guns would have slugged it out here in the states, with the best from England, and the continent, and, well, I'm pretty sure that would have been the end of that, Stan.

Which one of your ancesters built that Browning that went off the hook, Stan?

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.