March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (mel5141, Jimmy W, Mike Harrell, fallschirmjaeger, Argo44, 1 invisible), 853 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, the two barrels set 12 bore had the Deeley and Edge forend fastener.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me as if the Hercules, Skeet-er and the Super-Trap all used the same action --

John E Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Looks to me as if the Hercules, Skeet-er and the Super-Trap all used the same action --

So, If they are the same action:is the Skeet-er over priced? Or the Hercules an exceptional sleeper? The wood just can't be a $1000 option.

John;)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Does anyone have an IJ catalog with the 30" .410 Skeeter barrels listed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is photo of a (Canadian) Iver Johnson Hercules I used to own. I think it is clear that there was enough work performed at the Cooey factory in Cobourg to allow the firearms to avoid import duties; I can't believe parts were manufactured in Canada.

[/img] [/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher

I have a 12ga SKeeter. I don't have a Hercules any more so I don't recall how that worked but looking at the schematic it seems that there is/was a bbl trip involved (Hercules?). I see a trip, trip spring, ect. indicating that the top lever locks in the open position then slams shut with the closing of the bbls.
On the Skeeter I have, the lever simply returns to center after opening,,no trip mechanism to hold it open. Then the closing of the bbls pushes the horizontal locking block & the the lever open so the bbls can close all the way and the lever once again drops closed.

Other than that, from what I can see the insides look about the same.
The SKeeter has a non-auto safety,,but it does have the auto safe bar in place inside,,it's just in place up-side-down so the engagement bend/hook end of it at the spindle end is pointing downward and not engaging the toplever. So no auto safe. Take it apart and flip the bar over and put back in place and you have an auto-safe.
The chokes are true skeet set up,,the right bbl is the tighter choke,,the left bbl for the incoming bird is the open choke.
Ckokes marked on the bbl flats as 'O', open and 'C', choke(d).
St grip, ejectors, 26" bbls.

Mine's getting a new stock and forend,,the diamond shaped maple wood inlays really don't do it justice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
Geo.,

My inquiry about Cooey is from seeing posts referencing such. Here is a passage from a couple years back from another forum:

"Iver Johnson had a contract with the H. W .Cooey Machine and Arms Co of Cobourg Ontaro to assemble shotguns starting in 1932 up until at least 1939. Cooey was a Canadian firearms manufacturer in Cobourg Ontario. They were taken over by Winchester in 1961 and Winchester closed the doors in 1979. Both the Iver Johnson Champion and Hercules double barrel shotguns were finished and assembled at the Cooey plant. Living in Canada, I have a few Iver Johnsons that bear the Cobourg stamping. The information regarding the Iver Johnson-Cooey connection was taken from the Cooey book by John Belton."

Now, knowing that everything I read on the internet is gospel, I want to question this passage to test its' authenticity. :-)

The above information you took from the net was posted by me. The information was taken from the Cooey Book written by John Belton. I have had, and have seen several Iver Johnson Hercules double barrels and single shot Champion models that were marked Iver Johnson, Made in Coburg. They were also marked Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works (Canada) Ltd. Montreal. I don't believe parts were manufactured in Canada, the guns were just assembled here.
As far as I know, I don't think the Skeeter model was assembled in Canada.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 02/13/17 02:39 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the SKEET-ERs that I see for sale are priced like they are mint condition collector's items, when they are in fact well used, messed with, reblued, wood refinished or replaced, worked over, and in some cases not even SKEET-ERs but some dealer trying to pass off a straight-gripped Hercules as a SKEET-ER.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 16 ga. Skeeter I sold a couple years ago was a PG, choked F/M with extractors. it was unmolested.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.