May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (Jimmy W, Chantry, jake van dyke, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 746 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,485
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48204 07/14/07 02:08 PM
GeorgeP Offline OP
OP Offline

What are you hearing about this Smith made by Marlin? I've seen the 28 and 410, but wondered if they are boxlocks with just a side plate?

The small gauges are made by Zabala of Spain. They are true boxlocks with false sideplates. If you want a Zabala small gauge boxlock, buy one of the discontinued BSA line for half of what the "new" L.C. will cost. Best, DR. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to put too fine a point on it, but these Eurotrash doubles being imported with the L.C. Smith name on them are a bigger insult to L.C. Smith (and Alexandter T. Brown) then the Model B was to Ansley Herman Fox or the Nitro Special was to Daniel Marion Lefever!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

That's got to be the uglyist case colors I ever saw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a couple in the main gun store in Casper, in May. I was not impressed at all. They didn't look like $1400 worth, to me.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, that is not the "real LC Marlin"; that's Marlin's cheapened down second version. The first was produced just after Marlin purchased the gun works in 1945 and continued thru 1950; and represented Marlin's first attempts to lower production cost time with manufacturing short-cuts and experimenting/altering finish techniques.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Hambidge
They are true boxlocks with false sideplates.

This terminology is used often and leads me to ask, what are sideplates that are not false?

Note I did not mention sidelocks.

Mike

"True"/"working" sideplates are found on "Sweet Elsies", LeFever's, and other sidelock guns. In a sidelock the hammer, spring, and sear are attached to the plate vice the receiver. LeFevers while not a "true" sidelock as only the cocking indicator is part of the plate generally are classed as sidelocks. The false plates serve not real function except to provide more "canvas" for folks like Ken Hurst. Best, BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

"False sideplates" is one of those contradictions in terms . . . like "handling marks". The sideplates are real enough. It's just that the lock work is not attached to them. Cogswell & Harrison was one British firm that used them on quite a few guns. They had a better term: "ornamental strengthening plates".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefevers are not sidelocks at all. They are only called sidelocks by the gun-ignorant. Some of the earlier guns had the sears on the sideplates but the common Syracuse Lefever is only called a sidelock incorrectly. Sidelocks are sidelocks, sideplates are possibly correctly called "false sidelocks". There is no need to call a sideplate false or a sidelock a "true sidelock", as Larry said. Words mean things and the addition of false and/or true just adds to the confusion.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Presumably a false-hearted lover does have a working ticker. False in this context means deceptive, hermaphroditic, mutant, ambiguous, half bear and half alligator, capable of fooling the gun-ignorant. I'll have the Lefever special boxlunch with side of sears and cocking indies on a crisp bed of steel. If I get too full, I'll put the sears in the box for later.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE NEW GUNS THAT DEGRADE THE "ELSIE" HERITAGE! THEY, AS POINTED OUT ALREADY ARE NOT MARLIN LATE 1940 PRODUCTS. THEY ARE ALSO NOT USA MANUFACTURED. WHAT THEY ARE.....MOSTLY GUNS MADE OVERSEAS....SOME IN TURKEY AND SOME BY FAUSTI IN ITALY. AS AN AVID ELSIE SHOOTER....I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD COMPLETE MY COLLECTION BY ACQUIRING ONE OF THESE NEW-AGE L.C. SMITH GUNS IN 28 GAUGE. THE GUN WAS A DISASTER...IT ARRIVED WITH THE BARRELS SEPARATING AND THE RIB COMING OFF THE GUN....WHILE STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. I NEXT TRIED THE 20 GAUGE VERSION THAT ARRIVED WITH A SST THAT WOULD NOT SWAP-OVER AND A PRONOUNCED RATTLE IN THE ACTION. IT ALSO WENT BACK AND WAS TRADED WITH THE DEALER FOR A NEAR MINT MODEL 101 WINCHESTER ...THAT WAS OF COURSE SUPERB! SO IN SUM, FORGET WHAT ANOTHER ONE OF THE RESPONDERS ACCURATELY TITLES "EURO-TRASH".

Luck is the residue of good intention and hard work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.