May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Silverbow, Roundsworth, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 1,209 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,662
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been 63 seasons and a couple of years before that when I was allowed to come along, but not shoot. Began with a Winchester Model 37 single shot .410, which I still take along once every year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I picked up on dove shoots and followed my grandfather bird hunting from about age 8 or earlier. My actual hunting seasons began when I was 10 ( which was 59 years ago) and I've never missed one so far.

I began with a Stevens model 94 youth model .410. When I was 12 my grandfather gave me his Marlin Fourtenner lever action 2.5" .410 and two trained 15" rabbit beagles. I supplied the neighborhood with rabbits for years.

After a few years I graduated to Bobwhite Quail and bird dogs. The birds down here ran out in about 1990. I went through the usual duck hunting obsession and still make a trip to Sask. every Fall to hunt both waterfowl and game birds.

Turkeys came along here-abouts right along the time the quail ran out. I'm still hard at that...Geo

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was blessed with two grandfathers who both hunted. One hunted quail mostly with my handicapped uncle and the other hunted waterfowl, both would fill in with squirrels and bunnies given the chance. Both were happy to take me when ever I could go. I was the only grandson for one and the only hunting grandson for the other. I doubt I went hunting over a hundred days with them and I wish it had been more. Caring and good to me they were but they were farmers who liked the land and respected game which they taught me was the entire point. If we had a good day and saw a lot of birds we would stop early just to give the birds a break as they would say. Limits were not the point and still are not for me or my kids. I learned their lessons well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

38 since age 14, would be three more but I missed those while deployed. Two of the 38 were partials as I missed a big chunk because of other deployments.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

46 years since the fall of 1971. I shot a pair of Greenwing Teal in Salem County New Jersey. I come from a long line of South Jersey duck hunters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This will be my 58th dove season. I will be 66 in October, and went on my first dove shoot with Grandaddy at age 8. I had been given a .410 S x S to care for, and a dove lit on the ground about 20 yds. from me and I swatted him. Nobody knew I didn't kill him on the wing, and I didn't tell them any differently.

Grandaddy took me squirrel hunting with that .410, soon after it was given to me, and all I killed was an owl. Hey, Grandaddy said to shoot it and I did. Grandaddy was the closest thing to God that I knew.

I have a friend, Gess, a bit younger than me, who relayed this story about his first duck hunt with his Dad. They were crouched on the dam of a small pond, early morning, when his Dad said there were ducks coming their way, and for Gess to remain squatted down until Dad said for him to jump up and take them. Gess said that when his Dad said to shoot .... he jumped to his feet and looked straight ahead. At that instant a teal hit him square in the chest and knocked him off his feet and on his back. He said ....... "It hurt!!!". I'll just bet it did. cry

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

63 seasons

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

47. I tagged along for most of a decade before I was allowed to carry a shotgun, but, I would have gone along another decade just to be out with my Dad.
I come from a very small family, and Dad was it.

But he was all I needed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad would take us down to the dump on my grandfathers farm and teach us to shoot with his Winchester 62.

My uncle Jim, one of the best men I'll ever know, along with my dad, came and got me from the farm house one day and practically dragged me a short ways out into the woods back of the house. I say dragged though I was very willing, but my legs were much shorter than his. He stuck a 410 in my hands and pointed out a squirrel out on a tree limb and said shoot it. I think he was surprised I hit it, and he dashed out and retrieved it so the dogs wouldn't get it. I think the dogs maybe treed it, I don't know for sure. I was nine. The legal age in PA is 12, so 51 for me. What's the statute of limitations on shooting a squirrel at nine years old?

Last edited by liverwort; 07/05/17 08:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I turn 60 toward the end of the month. My uncle Jim let me tag along on a goose hunt when I was five. Even then he let me carry an unloaded Daisy BB gun.

I've missed a couple of seasons along the way for various reasons, but for the most part it's been over fifty seasons.

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.