April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, NTaxiarchis, earlyriser, LeFusil, Jimmy W, Jtplumb), 625 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,084
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Remington40x
Mike:

What gauge, length and chokes are the Superposed barrels?

Rem

12ga
30"
Approx. .010" and .015"

A friend has 'dibs' on these so I measured them, but haven't cleaned the bores yet.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike:

Thanks. They aren't what I was looking for. I was hoping for a set of 20 gauge barrels with tighter chokes to add to my current 28 inch IC/M set.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
As Ken said, you will most certainly cover the $120 investment with the realized selling prices of the vintage double barrels by knowing wall thicknesses.
You will also avoid potential liability for a. selling an "intrinsically unsafe" product if something bad happens or b. something bad happens after the purchaser modifies the barrel. Selling the barrels "as is" is no protection.

Besides the liability, you could potentially recoup the gauge cost by avoiding the return shipping charges when someone discovers they've been sent a honed, unsafe set. Let alone the increased value the tubes would have if a buyer actually knows they are safe and usable. Better to know what is arguably the most important aspect of your inventory. What's that we always say? That stuff about having new toys checked out by a competent doublegunsmith?

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found a nice sermon illustration wink which many of us know about. I suspect the dealer is now much more circumspect regarding wall thickness measurements, and loaning a gun for a "try out"; which was returned with a bulge in both barrels.
No response to requests for wall thickness measurements on another Forum

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No worries about description. Devoutly honest seller. If they have problems it will be disclosed or they won't be sold.

Not my first rodeo w/ doublegun stuff.

This time it may be worth buying the wall thickness gauge. Prices have certainly come down on them.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I've been casually hunting for a 12ga set of barrels (preferably 28") for a LC Smith No. 1. When you get around to putting them up for sale, please keep me in mind. I'm a bit south of Harrisburg so a FTF might be possible. Thanks.

Marcus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Originally Posted By: Drew Hause

You will also avoid potential liability for a. selling an "intrinsically unsafe" product if something bad happens or b. something bad happens after the purchaser modifies the barrel. Selling the barrels "as is" is no protection.

Besides the liability, you could potentially recoup the gauge cost by avoiding the return shipping charges when someone discovers they've been sent a honed, unsafe set.

If the statement about potential liability for selling old barrels "as is" was true, no one would ever sell a junk gun... or junk car... or junk anything. Even perfectly sound barrels sometimes blow up. I'd be interested to hear of even one actual case where someone was held liable for the blow-up of either a gun or barrels that were sold "as is".

Is the seller of barrels with adequate wall thickness responsible for snow, mud, or wasp nests in a gun barrel? What about hot handloads or even magnum factory loads that will enter a short chamber? Who exactly, is the legal authority on what constitutes safe wall thickness?

And return shipping costs virtually always fall upon the buyer who is returning the defective item, unless there was some gross error or negligence in the description, or a prior agreement that the seller would be responsible for return shipping for items sold "as is". I don't know anyone who would make such a warranty.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If sold on EBay, an "Item not as described" return request is tough for a Seller to avoid.

Top dollar would come if a Buyer expected to receive a set of safe, usable tubes.

Possibly you would win litigation in the end, but, consider the legal costs.

We all know double gun folks are often very knowledgeable and particular, so an excess of information makes a better chance of a sale for true value.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken,

No worries. I have been on this site since 1997. I know what information to include.

Point was to find sources for pricing. Not a debate about civil law.

EDIT: In a previous career I traveled by road a lot. I hit every gun, pawn, hardware and antique store that crossed my path. A couple dozen members of this forum own (or owned) double guns I found in my travels. No one ever thought I under described their purchase.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 09/14/17 10:12 PM.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marc Ret
Mike,

I've been casually hunting for a 12ga set of barrels (preferably 28") for a LC Smith No. 1. When you get around to putting them up for sale, please keep me in mind. I'm a bit south of Harrisburg so a FTF might be possible. Thanks.

Marcus

Marcus, we could cut down a longer set. laugh

Mike
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.