May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jeremy Pearce, Vol423, 1 invisible), 196 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,539
Posts546,039
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obviously the absolute essence of rationality. I commend the English Gentleman and cannot but decry the actions of the un-gentlemanly who saw fit to ignore the True Sportsman and allow such a heinous development to be inflicted on the world.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner

Why is this the case? In my opinion (and discussion with other FFLs at the auctions) it is because people get old and die...

I know an older gentleman that has over 600 flintlock & that vulgar percussion cap lock guns in his possession. Many are SxS.
I wonder if his estate will dribble feed all those guns into the market in order to maintain some sort of price.

At the moment he will not even sell one of the flinters to me.
O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

dr. drew: your post is wonderfully insightful...do you happen to know the approximate date it was written...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

1817 Letter to the Editor "The Gentlemen's Magazine"

His first patent was apparently 1816
http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/B019_Bedford.pdf

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last time i went to shoot clay pigeons (not targets, Pigeons !), i took my old side by side. My score was as good, if not better, as the fashion victim with the garish beretta shooting cap-glasses (complete with blinkers, like a horse)-vest-gloves-cartridge bag, etc etc.

My point is the younger generation want the latest and greatest, the guns and equipment the blogs, magazines, youtube tell them they must have. I gave up listening to the rubbish the marketing men spout years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc Drew, I'm pretty sure you're aware of the fact that "Mr. Forsyth" was in fact Reverend Forsyth. How a man of the cloth could ever join hands with the devil to make such an invention . . . smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Idle hands...covered with saltpeter, charcoal and sulphur...started with Friar Bacon wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another SxS factor to consider....

Most of the SxS's we see are now 50 to 100 years old (excepting a few modern imports). They are wearing out, show much use, etc. Only a few good restorers/gunsmiths are available to service them properly. Most younger people want a new, or almost new gun to use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, you do know that Doc Drew didn't write the original letter in 1817. right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: SXS 40

For all this talk about the decline of SXS's, I wonder who is buying all the ones being offered by the 6 -8 auction houses that I follow. Each one of them having multiple sales per year, with many SXS's offered.

I agree that the SXS enthusiast is a relatively small group in the overall gun buying world, but the auctions seem to sell most all of the ones offered. (in all grades)

Yes, English gun prices are down, but US SXS's are up in price.

But on the other hand, James (canvasback) may also get the impression that fewer guys own and use doubles because of guys like Jagermeister... who can't get any further than putting one on layaway, and then backing out of the deal after posting here about it as if he had it in his hot little hands. But since Jagermeister also only RENTS a cheap Chinese .22 rimfire rifle, one might conclude that the popularity of .22 rifles is waning too.

It has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with modern gun buying trends of younger generations. Typical well to do working person turns to vertical guns by Beretta, B.C. Miroku,.... or semi-autos by Benelli or Beretta.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.