May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 847 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,627
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
Originally Posted By: BUCK2
So, so far we have the following:

Still in question are:
Rem 1889
Aubrey
Colt

Buck2,

The OP's original inquiry was in reference to vintage American hammerless doubles, but some hammerguns were included in the conversation.

The Aubrey is a Meriden F.A. gun, so yes.
The Colt and Remington sidelocks are of the Hammer variety.

John

Ok, thanks

So, we are back to the following:

L.C. Smith
Baker
Meriden
Crescent
Waverly Arms
Clark
Schneider
David Kirkwood
Galazan

Is this correct?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Isn't it odd that nobody truly knows for certain if Kirkwood, Schneider, , etc were actually manufactured here? No old pictures of the factory or workshops showing these guns being built, no articles written back then detailing their manufacture, nothing out there that positively confirms that they actually built guns from the ground up. I'm in the camp of putting a gun together from sourced parts doesn't necessarily make you a gun manufacturer or qualify it as being from the USA.

Yet, today if you drill a single hole in an existing action the Fed.gov considers you a firearms manufacturer.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Isn't it odd that nobody truly knows for certain if Kirkwood, Schneider, , etc were actually manufactured here? No old pictures of the factory or workshops showing these guns being built, no articles written back then detailing their manufacture, nothing out there that positively confirms that they actually built guns from the ground up. I'm in the camp of putting a gun together from sourced parts doesn't necessarily make you a gun manufacturer or qualify it as being from the USA.

Yet, today if you drill a single hole in an existing action the Fed.gov considers you a firearms manufacturer.

That is only because fools vote for Liberal Anti-Gun Democrats.

Know your enemy!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Outside of Mr. Galazan's later guns, I don't believe there were ever any American guns produced with an intercepting sear sidelock.
That would seem to be the point of the exercise of building a sidelock, and one would want it to be of the quality of several of the English produced sidelocks, say, Brazier, Chilton, etc.
Calling a Tobin, among others, a sidelock, doesn't make it so.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

The pre-Batavia line sidelocks from Baker Gun & Forging Co. had intercepting sears.

Tobin would not qualify given it is a sideplated boxlock with only the sears mounted to the plates.

John

John,
Not quite. The graded Bakers had hammer blocks, a different concept entirely, and one that is dependant on the gun being in the upright position to function. Intercepting sears function in any position.
If you have ever had a Baker, or, for that matter, any US sidelock apart on a bench next to an English vesion with even a run-of-the-mill set of locks from the makers I quoted, above, you will see a distinct difference in level of finish and quality.

Calling a Tobin a boxlock really isn't correct, either. If you take the worst, and weakest features from both sidelock and boxlock design, and combine them, you have a Tobin. Which, was good enough when all loads were black powder loads.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, your thoughts about the Baker with hammer blocks needing to be in the upright position for the hammer blocks to function is incorrect. I'm not sure where you got that idea, but the blocks do block the hammers, in all gun positions, unless the triggers are pulled. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer blocks rotate to the side allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin.

As to the fit and finish of an American gun compared to a British gun, you are generally right. But, don't you think one might expect this, since the British guns cost several multiples of the American guns? You might compare Fords and Bentleys in the manner you suggest. How many Fords can you buy for the price of a Bentley ?

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/26/17 04:13 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Ted, there are various reasons for making a sidelock in addition to the intercepting sear. One is the ease of accessing the "guts" of the gun, especially if the locks are hand detachable. Another is leaving more "canvas" on which the engraver can do his thing (although that's also true of sideplated boxlocks). Another is that--at least per the British, who contributed so much to the development of the modern sxs--the sidelock is a superior design. And there are those who will contend that in general, you get better trigger pulls with a sidelock vs a boxlock.

But our gun industry focused on numbers with only a tiny percentage of their output represented by the "best" guns they made. In contrast, there were several British makers who made their names based on a much smaller number of "best" guns. So a very different approach to the business. In this country, no one ever adopted the business model of "best" guns only. Or mostly.

Larry,
I was thinking in terms of good reasons. The shear numbers of guns built on the boxlock design, in contrast to the numbers of sidelocks, that function perfectly, 50-150 years after they were produced, sans maintenance of their "guts", to use your term, would seem to throw so much cold water on the notion that being able to see them more easily is an advantage.

Engraving, much like the "canvas" of the design of gun it is applied to, is very subjective. I have seen stunning examples of engraving on either design, and, much more that was not so. On both types of guns. I wish people who can't do it would stop trying to do gamescene engraving. Not everyone is Winston Churchill

I have seen good, and horrific trigger pulls in all types of guns. I will suggest, that, at least in the case of English guns, a sidelock would have more time spent by a higher skilled worker on it's triggers than you might expect on a keeper's boxlock. There would be exceptions, but, not often. That doesn't mean a boxlock can't have wonderful triggers. Far from it.

A hammerless sidelock is simply a hammer gun with it's hammers on the inside. As to it being the best or not, comes down to who built it, and not the name that is on it. We have seen examples of "name" guns, that are not the best examples of what said name was supposed to stand for.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dayrl,
I saw a basket case Baker action that the blocks would fall out of position when the action was turned upside down. Perhaps the mechanism was worn enough to allow that? Sorry if I mistook that for how they all operate.
In any case, they are not "intercepting sears". Different device, entirely.
Do you have a good photo of a correctly funtioning graded Baker action? I'd love to see it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, you need to start looking at decent guns, not basket cases. I doubt one could wear out a Baker firing pin block in a lifetime, even it one tried. Here's a schematic of the mechanism. Both intercepting sears and the Baker firing pin block perform the task of stopping the gun from firing when the trigger has not been pulled. Maybe a comparison of the two designs might make the Baker more positive in that function.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/26/17 04:37 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks for the photo, Dayrl. I'd guess a few parts were missing in the example I saw at a gunshow. That said, one has to look at a graded Baker when one has the chance, in my part of the world. And I've yet to see a Baker that has lockwork on the level of Chilton or Brazier, which, is not to say it doesn't exist, but, that it didn't get produced at that level on most of the Baker guns.

As to the costs of guns, American vs English, you mentioned, above, circa 1912, a Parker D grade was around $100, and a Jeffrey #3 boxlock was 28 pounds, without ejectors. 34 pounds with ejectors. About the same price. If I was selling, today, I'd want the Parker, but, to use, the Jeffrey would be the keeper, hands down. 100% coverage engraving in decent scroll, no stick men or flying turnips in sight, and much better fit and finish, especially to internal parts.

The internals on most American guns are not in the same league with English and European guns of the same era.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, boxlocks are less expensive to produce. That's why more of them have been made. Pretty simple explanation. But you can't escape the fact that if you're over in the UK shooting driven birds and it's more than a bit damp--the weather being that way over there--then there are definite advantages to being able to pull the locks and make sure everything is dried out, etc.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.