May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, bushveld, NTaxiarchis, Argo44, PALUNC, 1 invisible), 601 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,052
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

loss of manufacturing in the U.S and Canada has taken a terrible toll. I use to bid on moving Canadian companies to Mexico. it was sickening. unless csmc has a far less superior product...why not support it. going to the lowest common denominator has cost thousands of jobs. Trump knows it, and hopefully will fulfill a campaign promise to bring back good paying manufacturing jobs.

save money...live better...ya right. just ask your neighbours who are now out of work cause because the plant was moved to....where ever in order to save you money.

and yes...I look for Canadian products and would rather eat at a family restaurant than the tim hortons across the street. support your neighbours with your dollars...rather than your tax money through unemployment or welfare funds. but that's just me.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

oh...and I think America is a great country filled with great people. some of whom I may not get along with...but that's life. not sure where the leftest comment comes info play?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
dal & eeb,

Can either of you lay claim to having never bought an item that was made outside the States? If you can't, why are you picking on the Turkish guns?

SRH

dal - 0

eeb - ?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
dal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

your question is ludicrous Stan. but I think you knew it was.

Last edited by dal; 01/15/18 10:57 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
"Seems to me that the Turks may be a lot smarter than some think."

lower working/living standards and pay scales allow them to ship over a gun for next to nothing. I would much rather support csmc and American workers that pay American taxes, than buy a Turkish gun. but that's just me.

I may be off base, but it looks to me like the material costs for a mass produced gun like the Yildiz sxs would be only marginally higher in the USA than in Turkey. I would think that the CNC machines and the components would be similar, especially since they wouldn't have the import costs.

So that leaves the labor and govt regulations as the big difference on input costs. My Y guns have the appearance of being primarily made by machines. So why couldn't CSMC or some other US company mass produce entry level sxs shotguns and sell them for under $1000? It may be that they just don't want to. It also may be that they don't know how.

I am not arguing and I don't know the answer. I would love to buy a new American made sxs set up like I want, but it doesn't exist.

eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I’m not picking on the Turks at all. An excellent point was made about low labor costs enabling the Turks to produce competitively priced shotguns. Nothing new here. AKUS fills a niche market and many can testify that they are good guns. I think about Korean cars. 20 years ago They were crap, now they compete very effectively against the rest of the world. The winners are the low cost producers. The Italian makers should be worried.

Last edited by eeb; 01/15/18 11:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
eeb Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

And dal is spot on about the loss of domestic industry as we chase the “deals” at the big box stores or wherever. We complain about the loss and lack of domestically made products and wonder why when the answer is looking at us in the mirror.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dal
your question is ludicrous Stan. but I think you knew it was.

Of course I did, dal. But the reason was to point out that we pick and choose what we want to get our panties in a wad about. I'm a patriot. I have great appreciation for the sacrifices made over the last 250 years to make this such a wonderful place to live. I support American made at every opportunity. But, the opportunities are getting less and less as the world "gets smaller".

You said, "lower working/living standards and pay scales allow them to ship over a gun for next to nothing. I would much rather support csmc and American workers that pay American taxes, than buy a Turkish gun. but that's just me.". I'd like to understand just what you meant by that. Do you mean you will do without an item you want forever, just because it is not made in America? Or, do you mean that, like I did when I ordered my Dickinson .410, check for availability of it being made in America, then decide if the extra cost of the item made here is worth "buying patriotic"?

I always wanted a 30" barreled .410 S x S, with ejectors, and double triggers, and had waited for many years hoping someone would build them. CSMC decided to, and I looked at one, and couldn't handle the price.

So, am I unpatriotic? Or, are you talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say you won't buy Turkish made guns, but you buy other stuff made outside the U.S.A.?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Larry, the fact that the Turks have made the inroads they have in the American market, without the help of a big name American gun company speaks volumes. They have basically done it "on their own". Wait, just wait.

SRH

Their low end timing was very good, Stan. The Turkish guns started showing up just about the time the Spanish were "moving on up", to quote the line from "The Jeffersons". And as I noted, they've now bumped up to the $2,000 neighborhood--give or take a little--and seem to be successful. But it's a gradual process. When they tried to make the jump from guns in the 3 figure range to $5,000 Kimber sidelocks . . . that didn't work at all. Mainly because there were well-established Spanish makers (like AyA) selling sidelocks with a solid track record for less. But given the current market, now there's room for a good sidelock. Maybe not quite $5K, but if they can do it in the $3-4k range, where there's essentially no competition . . . might be time to make that jump.

Maybe it's time for an American gun writer or two to visit Turkey and speak glowingly of the skilled craftsmen, as they did when Spanish guns ceased being regarded as cheap junk. But the Basques aren't Muslims. The Turks do have that hurdle to clear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There no need to feel unpatriotic by buying products made outside USA. The fault for status quo lies with wealthy consumers wanting the cheapest shit possible and politicians who cater to Wall Street, bankers, corporations because they own stocks in companies that move production out of this country to reduce costs. The corporations/executives, bankers, investors can donate to reelection campaign of those politicians assuring that the vicious self-serving cycle continues indefinitely. I would say if one enjoys shooting old vintage guns their number one ammo supplier should be RST shells.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.